Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Skoda Kodiaq or Jeep Grand Cherokee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Jeep and fiat have been having very poor results over the last couple of production years. They have the worst safety ratings going.

Are they still any less safe than where most cars were fifteen years ago?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Are they still any less safe than where most cars were fifteen years ago?

I'm talking within the last 3/4 years. Have you not been looking it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

4 star from NCAP.

Pretty safe for passengers, but wouldn't like to be a pedestrian. Same goes for any SUV though.

I'm talking within the last 3/4 years. Have you not been looking it up?

Safety ratings are never a slightest priority of mine when buying a vehicle, I rode a quad bike everyday in new Zealand for a year when I was 21

Just get a Touraeg R-line (262) from the UK. Fantastic looking, great spec, lovely VW interior, loads of power, well rated for towing, superb gear box (DSG) etc etc.

Failing that just get another Landcruiser, plenty on Carzone under 50k and s they are business class the tax is way cheaper than on the Jeep too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jeep and fiat have been having very poor results over the last couple of production years. They have the worst safety ratings going.

Fiat are getting some poor ratings because they’re selling models that were introduced 10 or more years ago. They got 5 stars on the old ncap test when it was all about crashing into walls, now it’s about whether you have autonomous braking, city brake, nice big warning labels for child seats, they still crash into walls but they actively dock marks if you don’t have things a certain way.

Just get a Touraeg R-line (262) from the UK. Fantastic looking, great spec, lovely VW interior, loads of power, well rated for towing, superb gear box (DSG) etc etc.

Failing that just get another Landcruiser, plenty on Carzone under 50k and s they are business class the tax is way cheaper than on the Jeep too.

Touraeg does nothing for me whatsoever

Very very unlikely that I would be interested but how would folks view the mitsubishi pajero v the grand cherokee, they are not terribly refined but mechanically, how are they?

You can get a 2015 automatic five seater for a lot cheaper than almost any other in that proper 4wd offroader class

Sat in a few swb pajero commercials and the engine was courser sounding than a Soviet era built tractor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Very very unlikely that I would be interested but how would folks view the mitsubishi pajero v the grand cherokee, they are not terribly refined but mechanically, how are they?

You can get a 2015 automatic five seater for a lot cheaper than almost any other in that proper 4wd offroader class

Sat in a few swb pajero commercials and the engine was courser sounding than a Soviet era built tractor

Sound's like you have your mind made up on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

That would be my advice too, but if it does nothing for you, then so be it. Can't comment on the newer Jeeps because I never had one, but I can comment on the highly recommended Landcruiser, had one and often drive a 2018 model.
    This is not trolling, but ignoring the financial difference I would take the original Touareg dating back to 2004, before I would have the "new" Landcruiser.

• Advertisement

That would be my advice too, but if it does nothing for you, then so be it. Can't comment on the newer Jeeps because I never had one, but I can comment on the highly recommended Landcruiser, had one and often drive a 2018 model.
    This is not trolling, but ignoring the financial difference I would take the original Touareg dating back to 2004, before I would have the "new" Landcruiser.

The touareg leaves me cold, I'd buy the kodiaq quicker, I don't dislike the kodiaq at all but it's not what you would call exciting either

I drive an 06 landcruiser but as we have two kids now, cannot carry both in a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The touareg leaves me cold

I had the same problem the first day, turned off the air conditioning and on with the heated seats, never looked back since. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭NoBread

6 litre V12 TDi Q7?

The 1200 euro road tax is leaving me paralysed, way things are going, will big 4wd cars face even more draconian taxation, 1200 per year would pay the finance on a 40 k plus hyundai kona all electric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The 1200 euro road tax is leaving me paralysed, way things are going, will big 4wd cars face even more draconian taxation, 1200 per year would pay the finance on a 40 k plus hyundai kona all electric

But you would then have to factor in the expense of antidepressants.

But you would then have to factor in the expense of antidepressants.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

You'd had your mind made up from post one. Some going to get 9 pages (on my phone) out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

What about this OP? Looks lovely and would be very capable too:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-hilux-invincible-lifted/20826805

terrydel wrote: »
    You'd had your mind made up from post one. Some going to get 9 pages (on my phone) out of it!

Well I've ruled out a kodiaq, the high road tax making me hesitate however

ok so I know this thread is old and im taking forever to buy but would like to hear opinions on these two jeeps , I know the landcruiser is the sensible choice but for me the Cherokee is far cooler looking or am I wearing beer googles

https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2337749&r=s.php%3Fm%3D37%26o%3D329%26g%3D0%26z%3D5

https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/toyota-landcruiser-lc-lwb-business-ttg/22379527?campaign=6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Beer goggles at 16.00. Luckily you.

Beer goggles at 16.00. Luckily you.

I guess beauty really is in the eye of the beholder as I think the cherokee is nicer, still like the look of the Toyota

Been asking for opinions elsewhere about reliability of the cherokee, all negative responses but in most cases the individual had only dealings with old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

You have had your mind made up from posi #1 on the cherokie, dozens on fellas who know what they're talking about have tried to advise you differently but you still persist. 7 months later your still faffin around,just buy the fookin thing,your going to anyway.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,613 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Buy the Cherokee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Oh ye. Go for the Cherokee. You should offer an extra €1,000 just to make sure that they sell it to you.

You have had your mind made up from posi #1 on the cherokie, dozens on fellas who know what they're talking about have tried to advise you differently but you still persist. 7 months later your still faffin around,just buy the fookin thing,your going to anyway.!

Thanks odyssey, I've been faffing around because I couldn't bring myself to import one from Northern Ireland and face the 1200 annual road tax, this is the first one I found with a 333 annual road tax, the landcruiser in the link has no vat which reduces the cost there

I just wanted to hear how others thought of them looks wise comparatively.

Would it bother you if the €333 rate was achieved fraudulently?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would it bother you if the €333 rate was achieved fraudulently?

Not sure I follow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One of the posts a few pages back said €40k wasn't a bad price considering the Jeep was originally €75k. Maybe I'm missing something here but that isn't a fair comparison.

A used A6 is nicer than a new A4, but they're two different vehicles and different price segments.

It depends on what you want but you obviously made your mind up. What I don't understand is that you knew the costs of the Jeep now you're put off?

• Advertisement

Not sure I follow?

I’m sure that model didn’t meet the loadbay size criteria for the crewcab rate.
    Might be wrong of course.

Advertisement