Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Santa Fe warranty issue

• 09-01-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I hope i have this in the correct place. We purchased a 2016 hyundai santa fe over 12 months ago from an independant dealer. In the last couple of weeks an engine noise has developed when the vehicle is idling. I brought it to our local hyundai dealer ( vehicle was not purchased here) who at a quick look suspects the noise is coming from the timing chain. I do think he is correct on this.
    However they do not seem to be interested in fixing it as a warranty claim as they are booked out for 10 weeks in advance and “it is not their issue”.Their advice is to bring it back to the independent dealer or the hyundai dealer where the original owner purchased the vehicle and that the timing chain is not covered under warranty and advised of a cost if €1,500 to repair.
    I did contact hyundai ireland prior to this who confirmed the vehicle is under warranty and i can go to any hyundai dealer to get issue fixed. They also stated that they have no control over how quickly the dealers fixes the issue.
    The hyundai dealer who sold the vehicle as new is down the country so it is not practical to bring it to them.
    I suppose what im looking for is how should i proceed to have this fixed and what happens if the timing chain breaks in the meantime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

You need to work out a few things:

What is the mileage?
    Where has the car been serviced and at what mileages?
    Has the car had its annual inspections by Hyundai required to keep warranty intact?
    Were any repairs or services carried out using non genuine parts?

These questions will be key to getting warranty cover. Hyundai/Kia dealerships do generally have long wait times for service but it does sound like the first garage have no interest in helping you.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Skihunta13

rex-x wrote: »
    You need to work out a few things:

What is the mileage?
    Where has the car been serviced and at what mileages?
    Has the car had its annual inspections by Hyundai required to keep warranty intact?
    Were any repairs or services carried out using non genuine parts?
    These questions will be key to getting warranty cover. Hyundai/Kia dealerships do generally have long wait times for service but it does sound like the first garage have no interest in helping you.
    Hi thanks for your reply, hyundai have confirmed the vehicle is covered under warranty pending inspection by hyundai dealer but the local hyundai dealers seem interested as it was not purchased there. Would the timing chain be a warranty item?
    Is there anything i could say to hyundai ireland to make the local dealer fix it?

Skihunta13 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply, hyundai have confirmed the vehicle is covered under warranty pending inspection by hyundai dealer but the local hyundai dealers seem interested as it was not purchased there. Would the timing chain be a warranty item?
    Is there anything i could say to hyundai ireland to make the local dealer fix it?

What they are saying is the vehicle is still within its warranty period BUT if car not serviced correctly/ inspections not done etc they may still refuse any warranty cover. Timing chain is a warranty item but only if you have the right answers to all questions i asked above.

There is nothing you can do to speed matters up really other than try another dealership.

What are your answers to the questions out of curiosity?

What they are saying is the vehicle is still within its warranty period BUT if car not serviced correctly/ inspections not done etc they may still refuse any warranty cover. Timing chain is a warranty item but only if you have the right answers to all questions i asked above.

There is nothing you can do to speed matters up really other than try another dealership.

What are your answers to the questions out of curiosity?

There is 64,000 km on the vehicle.
    1 st service at 29,000 and 2nd at 57,000.
    Vehicle was not inspected by hyundai while we had it.
    All service parts are of equal qualty and full service history.
    Hyundai ireland were only interested in service history, registration number and parts quality before confirming the vehicle has an active warranty.

Do dealers get paid by hyundai for warranty claims? The way they carry on you think they do it for nothing.

Hyundai ireland were only interested in service history, registration number and parts quality before confirming the vehicle has an active warranty.

Do dealers get paid by hyundai for warranty claims? The way they carry on you think they do it for nothing.

You may face some resistance given the vehicle history but you may also be ok.
    30k services (although recommended by Hyundai) are madness and post fix I would recommend reducing that to 15k if you want to avoid similar issues again.

Dealers do get paid for warranty work but depending on the brand it can pay very poorly and if they are already fully booked with high paying service work etc it would cost them money to take on a long poorly paying repair job under warranty like a timing chain.

Additionally because you didn't buy the car from them or even a main dealer they don't feel they owe you anything and you have no rapport to help your case.

Keep pressure on is all you can do really.

• Advertisement

You may face some resistance given the vehicle history but you may also be ok.
    30k services (although recommended by Hyundai) are madness and post fix I would recommend reducing that to 15k if you want to avoid similar issues again.

Dealers do get paid for warranty work but depending on the brand it can pay very poorly and if they are already fully booked with high paying service work etc it would cost them money to take on a long poorly paying repair job under warranty like a timing chain.

Additionally because you didn't buy the car from them or even a main dealer they don't feel they owe you anything and you have no rapport to help your case.

They actually have no interest in doing it. They wouldn’t even book it in for 10 weeks time. Told me to go to a different dealer about 90 mins drive away.
    What happens if the chain breaks in the meantime? Would that be covered under warranty considering i know there is an issue with the chain.

They actually have no interest in doing it. They wouldn’t even book it in for 10 weeks time. Told me to go to a different dealer about 90 mins drive away.
    What happens if the chain breaks in the meantime? Would that be covered under warranty considering i know there is an issue with the chain.

Now you know there is an issue any further damage will be on you. If it breaks it will ruin the engine pretty catastrophicly so if you have such concerns it shouldn't be driven at all.

That dealer clearly doesn't want the job so maybe effort is best spent trying another dealer? Even if they are further afield.

Now you know there is an issue any further damage will be on you. If it breaks it will ruin the engine pretty catastrophicly so if you have such concerns it shouldn't be driven at all.

That dealer clearly doesn't want the job soaybe effort is best spent trying another dealer? Even if they are further afield.
    Im hardly expected to do without the vehicle for 10 weeks?? Whats the point in a warranty?

Im hardly expected to do without the vehicle for 10 weeks?? Whats the point in a warranty?

It's the same with anything, a phone, laptop etc. It's a case of do without until repaired.

Even when the dealership take in the car it could be weeks before they get the job done if parts are delayed etc and they are not obliged to provide a courtesy car.

Warrantys are great and everything but they are not a magic wand.

Best thing you can do is ring all closest dealerships, be nice and try and get the best deal you can with regards timeframe, courtesy car etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

The car may still be in warranty, but there is no onus on any dealership to carry out the work, except the dealer that originally sold the car.
    The reason is simple....it's simply not worth the time involved.
    Let's say for argument sake that a particular dealer charges €100 an hour labour.
    Hyundai may only pay the dealer €50 an hour.
    I've no idea how long it takes to change a timing chain on this particular car, but lets say for argument sake it's about a full day, 8 hours.
    Hyundai might only allow 4 hours to complete the job.
    No dealer is going to tie up a mechanic, and lose money at the same time.
    Also take into account if they were charging for the job, it would include the profit from parts involved.
    Warranty parts are usually charged at net, so no gain there either.

Warranty is all very well and good.... til you have to avail of it.

The original selling dealer may be far away, but they are the only place that you can demand they do the work... PROVIDING the car fulfils the warranty criteria.

All Hyundai will do it repeat the mantra... "Bring it to your local dealer"

Best case scenario, get Hyundai to recommend a dealer by name, get the name of the service manager, and hound both the dealer and Hyundai.

Good luck with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The original selling dealer may be far away, but they are the only place that you can demand they do the work
    They have no more obligation to the OP than the other dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

This is it. People do their level best to avoid main dealers, car was bought independent and serviced independent but now there is an issue it needs to be the dealers top priority. Specially when a car is reasonably new, buying from a dealer or servicing with a dealer and having a rapport can pay dividends in a scenario like this (which is all too common).

Warranty work just isn't lucrative in most cases. They obviously aren't sold about taking your job on at what could quite likely be a loss. They've noting much to lose by attempting to brush you off.

Your best bet is to make the booking for 10 weeks time, use the car as little as possible and be ringing other dealers in the mean time looking for a better date. While no dealer is obliged to look at your ar quickly, they are all obliged by the franchise to look at your car, they can't refuse to take you in, but it'll have to suit their booking schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

This is it. People do their level best to avoid main dealers, car was bought independent and serviced independent but now there is an issue it needs to be the dealers top priority. Specially when a car is reasonably new, buying from a dealer or servicing with a dealer and having a rapport can pay dividends in a scenario like this (which is all too common).

Warranty work just isn't lucrative in most cases. They obviously aren't sold about taking your job on at what could quite likely be a loss. They've noting much to lose by attempting to brush you off.

Your best bet is to make the booking for 10 weeks time, use the car as little as possible and be ringing other dealers in the mean time looking for a better date. While no dealer is obliged to look at your ar quickly, they are all obliged by the franchise to look at your car, they can't refuse to take you in, but it'll have to suit their booking schedule.
    That’s all well and good but the OPs car is still under warranty, which Hyundai Ireland are on the hook for. Their dealer network are the only ones who can do the work. There’s shades of ‘you should have gone to the main dealer if you wanted your warranty honoured’ about your post.

I don’t disagree with your post, no dealer is obliged to do the work tomorrow - But it’s a poor reflection on Hyindai Ireland. That said, it doesn’t look like the OP has tried multiple dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a feeling the 10 week waiting time to book the car in was more a roundabout way of encouraging you to go somewhere else as they didn't want to be dealing with someone who didn't buy from them. Yes dealer workshops are genuinely busy but I do think there might be a bit of deliberate discouragement thrown in there for good measure especially when they refused to even book it in given the OP reluctantly accepted the 10 week lead time.

Personally I think there is a bit of sour grapes/begrudgery going on here from the dealer in question around working on a car that was not bought from them even though it's still under manufacturers warranty. Fine if they want to prioritize their own customers first but it stinks for refusing to even entertain the possibility of doing the work just because the car wasn't bought from them. Hyundai Ireland are not much better either imo just passing the buck, these distributors can certainly crack the whip with franchised dealers when they feel it's good PR for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

So you have a 3 year old santa fe thats never been back to a main dealer for any servicing or inspection and possibly maintained with after market parts by an indy and you bought it off another indy yet expect the local hyundai garage thats never even seen the car to go through hoops to book it in for a long warranty job at the busiest time of the year for car sales and annual services.

Id suggest try another dealer but don't expect them to bend over backwards.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

How do you know they are of equal quality?
    This is for a dealer to inspect and report on.
    You`d want to see the **** filters I see fitted on some cars that customers expect to be covered under warranty.
    Ive seen services on 1 and 2 year old cars carried out for €49 euros--how in gods name can that be good quality oil and filters??

Im all for cheaper servicing costs but as you say if someone wants a quick turn around time on a warranty repair then Im going to give priority to someone I see every year for their service or annual inspection. Im not going to jump for someone whos car hasn't seen the inside of my workshop since the car left the showroom. Theyre usually the ones demanding a fast turn around.
    I personally can never understand why someone whos car is still inside its warranty period doesn't go back to a main dealer for servicing work.
    Yep its more expensive but its well worth it when something goes wrong.

Especially this time of year when last years 181 cars are all due servicing and are full retail priced jobs @ whatever the retail rate is. Warranty rates could be 50% less.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    That’s all well and good but the OPs car is still under warranty, which Hyundai Ireland are on the hook for.

Only if the servicing fulfils the warranty requirements.
    Whats to say the dealer takes the car in and discovers the oil is the crappiest oil you can buy or the filter is the cheapest filter you can get. Hyundai aren't on the hook then-the customer is.

Ive had warranty claims refused because the car was serviced in {insert big brand name independent here} because the quality of the parts fitted couldn't be determined.
    Their dealer network are the only ones who can do the work. There’s shades of ‘you should have gone to the main dealer if you wanted your warranty honoured’ about your post.

I think this is the exact point Colm. People are trying to save maybe 50-60 euros in servicing costs but that saving is worthless when something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Hi OP,

Did the dealer explain to you why the issue wasn’t covered under warranty?

As someone who’s worked in a main dealers I saw this type of stuff all the time. It’s very easy to throw out sweeping statements like ‘the dealer has no interest in helping the customer’ or whatever. But that might simply not be the case

If the dealer has said it’s not covered then maybe there’s good reason for this. In this case, considering that it’s a timing chain that’s giving trouble, the service history is absolutely vital.

One man’s ‘full service history’ is often pure rubbish to another man. Ive had hand written receipts handed to me to help towards warranty
    claims that consist of stuff like ‘full service carried out, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, oil x 5 litres’

This is not a service history and doesn’t prove to the manufacturer or anybody else that the car has been properly maintained.

I’m not taking any sides in this particular case but all I’m saying is that before I tell anybody that something is or isn’t covered under warranty I make sure I’ve crossed my T’s and dotted my I’s because I don’t want anything coming back on me.

That being said, This isn’t a post about how you should always service with the dealership. I’ve had plenty of service history’s handed up to me from reputable independent garages on headed paper with everything clearly listed including the most important component of all, the oil, the grade of oil, which brand of oil was used, how much oil was used etc and I’ve happily submitted it knowing it would well support a warranty claim.

If your service history is of good quality and the dealership has still decided to tell you the chain is not covered then in this case I would avoid this dealer like the plague and make the long journey to another dealership who want to help you.

Ringing the manufacture will achieve little to nothing as they will always tell you that it is up to the inspecting dealership to determine whether something is covered under warranty or not.

Hope you get sorted one way or the other!

So you have a 3 year old santa fe thats never been back to a main dealer for any servicing or inspection and possibly maintained with after market parts by an indy and you bought it off another indy yet expect the local hyundai garage thats never even seen the car to go through hoops to book it in for a long warranty job at the busiest time of the year for car sales and annual services.

Id suggest try another dealer but don't expect them to bend over backwards.

Should i not be expecting hyundai to cover a vehicle well within its warranty on a vehicle that was purchased for €28 grand.
    Just to repeat myself, the warranty is not the issue here as confirmed by hyundai ireland. They have asked their questions and are not arguing warraty even though it was not serviced by hyundai.
    The local dealer was satisfied with vehicle service record but just stated that timing chains are not covered under warranty. I will need to confirm this with hyundai ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Flyer29

Hyundai will honor it if the dealership tells them the issue with the chain is due to a manufacturing defect and that the service history provided is adequate to support that the car has been properly maintained.

If the dealership really did state that ‘timing chains aren’t covered’ full stop then this simply is not true. Anything can be warranty so long as the issue was caused by a manufacturing defect.

Flyer29 wrote: »
    Hyundai will honor it if the dealership tells them the issue with the chain is due to a manufacturing defect and that the service history provided is adequate to support that the car has been properly maintained.

If the dealership really did state that ‘timing chains aren’t covered’ full stop then this simply is not true. Anything can be warranty so long as the issue was caused by a manufacturing defect.

Yeah as previous poster said they just dont want to do it.
    Not much incentive for me to do business with them when im trading up next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Should i not be expecting hyundai to cover a vehicle well within its warranty on a vehicle that was purchased for €28 grand.
    Just to repeat myself, the warranty is not the issue here as confirmed by hyundai ireland. They have asked their questions and are not arguing warraty even though it was not serviced by hyundai.
    The local dealer was satisfied with vehicle service record but just stated that timing chains are not covered under warranty. I will need to confirm this with hyundai ireland.

The independent dealer is the person you need to deal with. The vehicle has developed a fault and its up to them to resolve under the sale of goods and supply of services act. As you have discovered a warranty can be useless, the sale of goods act isn't.

Del2005 wrote: »
    The independent dealer is the person you need to deal with. The vehicle has developed a fault and its up to them to resolve under the sale of goods and supply of services act. As you have discovered a warranty can be useless, the sale of goods act isn't.

Its over a year since we bought it. In all fairness its not their fault, its the fault of hyundai and they are honoring there warranty. It’s disappointing that a dealer can be so petty and short sighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The coverage is not the issue, but the service dept is in their busiest season and you arent currently a hyundai customer, if it was a garage you had a relationship with they may make you a priority, but youre asking a dealer who has never met you before to occupy a lift for 2-3 days easy with your car to do work that is at the bottom of the profitability scale during their busiest time , not only dissapointing their re occuring customers but they probably think you wont be back. Theyve given you a time frame that puts your car in after theyve gone quiet and I expect youll get that response from other dealers too.

They do not think youre likely to ourchase a car from them or service it there in the future so have made you the lowest priority.

This is a very simple explanation of the warranty process from the dealers point of view.
    Up to a certain value, lets say €500, the dealer can go ahead with work if they are happy it's warranty. For example an electric window stops working. The dealer will go through the prescribed steps to determine the cause, and replace or repair whatever is necessary. The steps are recorded with Hyundai in accordance with warranty guidelines, the claim is submitted with warranty, along with any old parts (if required). Hyundai will pass the claim and the dealer will get paid.
    It could take a month or more from the time the dealer submits the claim till they get paid by the manufacturer.
    For values greater than €500 they have to submit a PWA (pre works authorisation) to Hyundai. In effect, they have to go through all the steps to determine if warranty is valid, except they are not actually repairing till they get the go ahead from Hyundai.
    So in this case, they may have to strip various parts of the engine, to assess any damage, and to see what parts are required to repair the car.
    They then have to submit all this to Hyundai, who may or may not pass the claim. Hyundai may send one their own warranty technician to the dealer to check for themselves.
    After all this Hyundai may reject the claim, in which case the dealer is left with a partly dismantled vehicle, and a disgruntled customer, and no way of recouping any monies for time spent.
    It's nothing to do with not wanting to help the customer, or fobbing them off, or not wanting to honour the warranty. It's simple economics. The time involved for the dealer, between workshop hours, and time spent processing claims, in this instance, is simply not worth it.
    As I mentioned in my previous post, go to Hyundai, and make a complaint. As your car is still under manufacturers warranty they are under an obligation to help.
    Get them to advise you what dealer to go to, and get a contact name, and hound them both till you get satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Its over a year since we bought it. In all fairness its not their fault, its the fault of hyundai and they are honoring there warranty. It’s disappointing that a dealer can be so petty and short sighted.

Why do think its not the responsibility of someone you gave nearly €30k to after a year?

It's not their fault, but it is their responsibility to fix it. That's the cost of running a business selling to consumers in this country.

Why do think its not the responsibility of someone you gave nearly €30k to after a year?

It's not their fault, but it is their responsibility to fix it. That's the cost of running a business selling to consumers in this country.

Because they did not sell a car that was faulty. If they did then they would be liable to repair the fault.
    The fault manifested itself a long time after the car was purchased, and falls within the remit of manufacturers warranty.
    As the selling dealer is not franchised to the brand of car, they have no obligation to honour the warranty.
    That falls to a franchised dealer and/or the manufacturer.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t disagree with your post, no dealer is obliged to do the work tomorrow - But it’s a poor reflection on Hyindai Ireland. That said, it doesn’t look like the OP has tried multiple dealers.

From what I've seen, not just with this example but in general is that Hyundai Ireland don't care.

They aren't at a point in their brand where aftersales and customer retention through aftersales isn't a thing for them. Its still just about getting reg figures and vehicles on the road.

Their approach is exactly that of this thread. "Its under warranty, a dealer will see to it, time constraints are not really our concern, thats our minimum obligation covered and that's it", PFO, as they say.

A good point by Del there tbh, the independent dealer who sold to the OP must have an obligation here. Why is nobody in touch with them? Sure Hyundai through a dealer is the path of least resistance but surely OP's independent dealer has to do something if pushed.

Why is it not the responsibility of hyundai who got nearly €50 grand for the car 2 years ago. Is this not what a manufacturer warranty is? It is a manufacturing default.

Why is it not the responsibility of hyundai who got nearly €50 grand for the car 2 years ago. Is this not what a manufacturer warranty is? It is a manufacturing default.

It's not, not their responsibility to deal with it and to be fair they have said it's covered by their warranty. The problem with you (no offence) is you don't want to wait and the problem with the Hyundai dealer is that neither you, nor the person you bought the car from, gave them €50k for it 2 years ago, so it's back of the que for this job. Neither of those things are really Hyundai Irelands issue.

His point is, you paid a motor dealer for this car. That motor dealer, regardless of not being a franchise carrying dealer has a responsibility to you to ensure the car is fit for purpose, regardless of Hyundais stance on anything. The deal was between you and your dealer, you are their customer and they have to make sure the car stays ok, within a reasonable timeframe, regardless of the manufacturer.

How can that dealer take 30k or whatever figure from you and as soon as you are out his front gate have no further obligation to the vehicle? That's not how it works, there's not much precedent for anything different though as people either aren't aware of that or aren't willing to pursue it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mrblack

We bought a new Santa Fe in Navan in 2014 and traded it in 2017 for a second new one. The timing chains were not an issue in either vehicle- But the oil service interval is quite long and both the Santa Fe's have to be brought in every 6 months for an oil quality check-which we always do and if oil is not up to scratch its must be changed early. This is in addition to the annual required oil change of course. I think the engine oil lubricates the timing chain so oil quality would be important to keep the chain lubricated in accordance with manufacturing specs.

If those 6 monthly oil quality checks were not done by a main Hyundai dealer, nor the engine oil & filter changed with the recommended oil/filter by a main dealer and - then I wouldn't blame the Main dealer or Hyundai for voiding the warranty.

At the first full service of our 2017 Santa Fe the oil filler cap was not replaced properly and the oil seal failed and car died on the road suddenly luckily without any safety issues, but leaving a huge trail of oil on the road and I was sure the engine was kaput. Hyundai towed it to main dealer and examined engine and advised that it was OK as ECU cut out the engine before any damage occurred and its run perfectly since then. But dealer advised they would have replaced engine under warranty without issue. The vehicle was a year old then.

Great cars to drive I think as the Santa Fe is my wife's car and my old 2010 Honda CRV (215kms on clock) drives like a dog compared to her Santa Fe even though both are 2.2 diesels.

Advertisement