Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"BMW First"

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you care about your car at all you wouldn't get a dealer "valet" your car, they will destroy the paintwork.

I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products, then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't
    • Clean the car myself because of the dirty water
    • Clean the car myself because of stones in the cloths/sponges
    • Clean the car myself because I wouldn't have the right materials
    • Use a car wash because of the damage the rollers will do
    • Use a car wash because of the damage that'll be done to the wheels
    • Use a valet service because of the low grade materials
    • Use a valet service because of the damage the scrapers do
    • {Insert any number of reasons for each type of car washing service}

I would love to have the time/money/expertise to have all the equipment needed to get my car up to a professional shine, I don't unfortunately. I've 2 small kids who aren't allowed to eat in the car but still track all kinds of muck into it as well as hand prints so I'm delighted to get someone to give the car the once over, I always make sure to get the valet a few bob if I spot him around when I'm dropping off or collecting the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah, being obsessive about your cars cleanliness is great and all but for 99% of people in the real world, keeping the car OCD clean just isn't viable and a wash and vac and a lick of tyre shine from the dealer is great, most people don't really even know what swirl marks are nor why they shouldn't want them. They aren't a guarantee anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So did anyone better avail of the original offer and end up getting an i8 or M5 for there days?

Curious as the sceptic within really thinks that they would find an excuse not to let you have one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yeah, being obsessive about your cars cleanliness is great and all but for 99% of people in the real world, keeping the car OCD clean just isn't viable and a wash and vac and a lick of tyre shine from the dealer is great, most people don't really even know what swirl marks are nor why they shouldn't want them. They aren't a guarantee anyway.

But it's not about keeping the car "OCD clean", which as you say is not viable anyway. It's about protecting the paintwork and prolonging the freshness of how it looks. I never let a main dealer "valet" my car for that reason alone. Most people are happy that the car is all shiny, but anyone with any knowledge of car detailing will know letting a main dealer near the paintwork is just as bad as putting it through a car wash.

That's my point. Most people don't have a knowledge of detailing and don't want to have one, once the dirt and debris is gone and the car is tidy presentable they are happy out because a car is just a means of transportation for them.

Anyway, people who are into detailing and preserving vehicles already know this and dont let anyone else touch their cars and that's fine. People who aren't into detailing already don't care about this and have already used a Tesco brush wash a thousand times so letting a main dealer wash their car is really no big deal and they won't gain any value by buying your advice on not doing it.

Anyway it's all a bit over exaggerated IMO. If that's all we have to be worried about, things aren't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

So for 17 euro a month you get 1 mini valet per month, 1 premium car wash in topaz per month, bulb replacements, 5c discount on fuel in topaz, windscreen wipers replaced (Surely worth at least 30?) , 20% discount on parts, services and repairs, top ups on oil and liquids.

Seems like excellent value. With the first month free you can get most of that done then cancel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Clareman wrote: »
    I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products,

When I bought my f10 from Frank Keane I received a BMW valet kit bag full of approved products and what was in it? A sponge!!

I've also seen main BMW dealers use sponges on cars. They might make great cars but they know nothing about caring for paintwork - the BMW kit is just re-branded Sonax products, means nothing.
    then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't
    • Clean the car myself because of the dirty water

Use grit guards.
    [*]Clean the car myself because of stones in the cloths/sponges

Don't use either - use a mitt.
    [*]Clean the car myself because I wouldn't have the right materials

Buy them.
    [*]Use a car wash because of the damage the rollers will do
    [*]Use a car wash because of the damage that'll be done to the wheels

agreed
    [*]Use a valet service because of the low grade materials
    [*]Use a valet service because of the damage the scrapers do
    [*]{Insert any number of reasons for each type of car washing service}

Nonsense - I use a crowd of valet lads to do a weekly wash and they use proper wash mitts and it's just €8 a go, they don't do anything else and they even spray fallout remover on the car first. They do zero damage to the car.

And there are several places around Dublin like that, so you could use them instead of BMW.

I wouldn't let them dry the car or near the inside, have to do that myself.
    I would love to have the time/money/expertise to have all the equipment needed to get my car up to a professional shine, I don't unfortunately. I've 2 small kids who aren't allowed to eat in the car but still track all kinds of muck into it as well as hand prints so I'm delighted to get someone to give the car the once over, I always make sure to get the valet a few bob if I spot him around when I'm dropping off or collecting the car.

I've 2 small kids too so I know where you're coming from but that's no reason to use BMW to "valet" your car, you seem to be trusting they know what they're doing from the name and I'm telling you they don't - you're just as well as putting it through an automatic car wash as they'll do the same damage. I've witnessed 3 different dealers destroy cars with their "valet" whilst waiting around for work on my own.

There are loads of better options around Dublin.

I think you missed the part where he doesn't care :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think you missed the part where he doesn't care :)

Very good point well made, I change my BMW every 2 years now so it's all good :)

When I bought my f10 from Frank Keane I received a BMW valet kit bag full of approved products and what was in it? A sponge!!

I've 2 of those kits now, I used some of the products in 1 of them the other is unused. I'll head out to the shed in a while to take a picture of what's in them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I'd have more faith in a dealer "valet" that most other services, they are used to getting BMW's up to a "show room shine" and I'm sure they've some requirement to only use BMW approved cleaning products, then again if I cared about my car I wouldn't..

yet, I specifically tell the main dealer(the very rare time I use them ) NOT to wash or valet the car.

they'll either use a dirty brush, a sponge that has been on the ground more times than dog shìt, and an industrial vacuum that will dragged thru the door sills , all causing scratches.

the only exception is MSL motors, who I don't use, ... But they operate a two bucket system and I believe lambs wool mits, at least in cork anyway to the best if my knowledge.

was recently at BMW Welt.. And the condition of the paint work in the museum was a disgrace, however the mercedes museum .. the cars were immaculate.

audi in ingolstadt has a shot museum.. But what do you expect for €2 ( food was nice though) and the cars paint work was in good condition.

(this coming from a BMW fanboy)

The lad in Conlon's BMW is very good, he has dropped me to work a few times, I'd have my utmost faith in him.

This is the BMW set
    7FTePe1.jpg?1

Same stuff in both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

The lad in Conlon's BMW is very good, he has dropped me to work a few times, I'd have my utmost faith in him.

This is the BMW set
    7FTePe1.jpg?1

Same stuff in both

They're the set I have and prove they don't have a clue on proper car care, some of that stuff will certainly damage your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

So getting back on topic. I signed up for the free month trial last week. Went to the dealers today and got wipers fitted for free. Got a quote for my annual service which was €400. With the 20% discount it works out at €320. You can’t go wrong signing up to this especially if you’ve an upcoming service or need new wipers / bulbs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

So getting back on topic. I signed up for the free month trial last week. Went to the dealers today and got wipers fitted for free. Got a quote for my annual service which was €400. With the 20% discount it works out at €320. You can’t go wrong signing up to this especially if you’ve an upcoming service or need new wipers / bulbs

100%. Out of interest what are they doing as part of that service?

100%. Out of interest what are they doing as part of that service?

Engine oil, micro filter, brake fluid change. Extortionate I know but it’s still within warranty and I want to maintain Bmw dealer history. But if I can get anything back from them like wipers , 20% off I will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I signed up for this in May but after going into my local dealer to book it in i went home and cancelled it,it looked like i was the first person to avail of it in the dealership and their customer service were some of the most ignorant people i ever dealt with in a garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,410 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

This is the BMW set
    7FTePe1.jpg?1

Same stuff in both

They're bloody awful.
    I dropped my car in about a week after I detailed it and when I went to pick it up it was manky dirty on the outside with dirty water marks on it.
    I tore strips off them inside.
    The 2nd time I went back I warned them not to under any circumstances wash the car exterior. The girl put a note on the seat and the guy obviously moved it when working on the car and forgot about it and again my car was washed.
    Cue me tearing strips off them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭digiman

Is there anyway to still drive the car of your choice for a day? Would love to get an M5 for a day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Engine oil, micro filter, brake fluid change. Extortionate I know but it’s still within warranty and I want to maintain Bmw dealer history. But if I can get anything back from them like wipers , 20% off I will !

Did you ever consider the BMW service pack.

http://www.bmwservice.ie/contentv3/?fuseaction=serviceinclusive

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had the drivers side wiper arm break on me whilst on holidays in West Cork last week (twilight and raining I might add :().
    As I had read this thread and signed up to the BMW First trial month, I rang Frank Keanes on the Naas Rd to order the part.
    Never really liked Keanes but they're the nearest to me (for both work and home). In fact, I cant really recall leaving them and being entirely happy but anyhow.

When talking to their parts guy on the phone, he was friendly and mentioned how the wiper arms frequently go and he usually had them in stock and would keep one aside for me. I did mention how I only wanted the arm. I told him I was a member of BMW First (Service & Repair) which gave me a 20% discount on parts.
    I also mentioned how I'd also collect the free set of wipers for the car at the same time. Told him I'd be in on Tuesday (of this week) to collect it all.

Anyhow, called into them on Tuesday at lunchtime. Initially was told that the parts weren't there ("it's not a part we'd usually have in stock") and I repeated that it should be there and was being kept aside for me. Sure enough, they then found it.
    Then I was told that the wipers would need to be fitted by Keanes for them to be free. I was told that the T&Cs of BMW First state this explicitly.
    "But I've to fit the wiper arm first"
    "ok then you'll have to come back - when would suit you for an appointment?"
    "Can I not just take the wiper blades and fit them myself"
    "I'm sorry sir. We are not allowed to just give them out. We need to book you in to fit them"
    "But that means I have to come back here which doesn't really suit me"
    "I'm sorry sir. Would 4:30 today suit you?"
    "No I'm working - can I not just call in later in the week?"
    "No sir we need to create an appointment"

So I booked in for 9am on Wednesday morning (told work I'd be in late).
    They were fitted on Wednesday - the car had to be brought into the workshop to do this (I had parked in the space literally beside the service door) and I had to sign a page confirming that I agreed to this!

When leaving, I asked for some form of receipt that the work was done for my records.
    "I'm sorry. We don't issue paper receipts for this but the work would be listed in your BMW-First account profile."
    It's not listed there so from a service history point of view, there's no record of it happening! :rolleyes:

I checked the T&Cs afterwards which state:
    Package (1): Service & Repair
    Service & Repair assures BMW expert’s quality service and costs 4.90 EUR per month. It includes Health Check & Diagnostics read-out, a 20% Discount on the Recommended Retail Price of Parts, Service and Repair and the Replacement of Wiper Blades and Light Bulbs. Retailers/Retail Centres may grant BMW FIRST Customers additional discounts which, however, are not subject to this agreement.
    Nothing there about it being mandatory for BMW to fit the parts.

Also, their FAQ page states:
    How do I avail of new wiper blades?
    For wiper blades there is no need to book an appointment at your chosen retailer. Refer to your BMW FIRST subscription at the welcome counter and a parts advisor will see to it that the right wiper blades are fitted swiftly to your vehicle (subject to parts availability).
    Their T&Cs also state:
    Scope of Supply of the Service Component “Wiper Blades”
    If the feature “wiper blades” is part of Your package You are eligible to receive one pair of new front and/or rear wiper blades, including associated labour costs, once in a twelve month period. You are required to inform the BMW or MINI Authorised Retailer/ Repairer of Your intention to avail of the wiper blade feature. It is recommended to pre-book Your service appointment at the Authorised Retailer/Repairer of Your choice to avoid disappointment.

So my first experience of BMW First is that I didn't get my 20% on parts and, although it didn't really suit me, had to return to Keanes for an apointment to get the wipers fitted.
    My experience of dealing with Keanes hasn't changed either :rolleyes:

Shall I be keeping the subscription to BMW First?
    I will in my ar*e!

I think most retail consumers would have no intention of fitting the parts themselves, so it may not need to be so clearly stated that the parts would need to be fitted by them to avail of this. To be fair, it makes sense that the 20% discount would be off parts fitted by them as the whole idea of this is to get cars into their workshop not give out cheap parts so people can take the work elsewhere.

Usually with deals like these parts have to be allocated to a workshop job for the discount to be applied and the price gap will eventually be charged back to BMW, so it may not appear on your service online account straight away, it will only appear once FK charge BMW for the work, so that will be x amount of time.

I'd admire them for bringing your car into the workshop to fit the wiper blades though. If I had a euro for every time I seen an apprentice let a wiper arm slap down and crack a windscreen while replacing wipers in a fluster in front of a customer, I'd have more than €1 and when that happens the customer is then seething with rage.

Still sounds like Keanes could shave made your journey a good bit smoother with a little training and a dab of common sense though. It's particularly the case with premium marques though that they only really want an incredibly standard customer who will just book in, wait for the call and pay the bill. They don't seem to take well at all when deviating from that process.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No I disagree.
    If it's not written in their T&Cs then I don't want both a parts and a service "advisor" ganging up on me telling me that it is there.
    Also, in terms of your point: "so it may not need to be so clearly stated that the parts would need to be fitted by them to avail of this" - Contra proferentem (where a promise, agreement or term is ambiguous, the preferred meaning should be the one that works against the interests of the party who provided the wording)

Furthermore, in terms of an apprentice letting a wiper arm slap against the windscreen, there's a simple solution to stopping this - tell them not to do it and to treat the customers property with respect!

However, the worst part is that given my unusual predicament it wouldn't have been too difficult for them to facilitate me there and then somehow*, after all it is meant to be a premium service. But for a business to force one of their customers to go out of their way to be a customer is not good business practice or customer service. Now they have that customer moaning online about their shíte experience - and for what?

A simple approach would have been to say "listen I know you want to fit the wiper arm yourself but as a valued customer we'll do it FOC as part of the wiper fitting. It's only two nuts and it'll be done in a jiffy" or just to have given me the wipers. I'd have left happy and in terms of labour, the cost is insignificant. But no: I left feeling like I had been decieved by Keanes staff plus although it's not much I'm now slightly out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I called into my local dealer last week for new wipers using BMW First. They said no problem but the workshop was busy and to call back for them the following day to be fitted. I said sure I'll fit them myself, it's not rocket science. They said they would have to be fitted by them, even got me to sign paperwork the following day to say they were fitted. I was told it was the way BMW Ireland want it done.

However, the worst part is that given my unusual predicament it wouldn't have been too difficult for them to facilitate me there and then somehow*, after all it is meant to be a premium service. But for a business to force one of their customers to go out of their way to be a customer is not good business practice or customer service. Now they have that customer moaning online about their shíte experience - and for what?

A simple approach would have been to say "listen I know you want to fit the wiper arm yourself but as a valued customer we'll do it FOC as part of the wiper fitting. It's only two nuts and it'll be done in a jiffy" or just to have given me the wipers. I'd have left happy and in terms of labour, the cost is insignificant. But no: I left feeling like I had been decieved by Keanes staff plus although it's not much I'm now slightly out of pocket.

I completely agree, a bit of common sense here and there and your visit would have been 100% easier, simply no doubt about it. Unfortunately in situations like this common sense rarely, if ever shows it's face. To be honest I can't really get my head around how they couldn't accommodate fitting a wiper arm and a set of blades with you arriving on spec, even if they had to leave you wait a few minutes before getting going.

T's & C's aside though, they aren't expecting people who sign up to this subscription to turn up at the trade counter which doesn't excuse what happened but may explain why your visit started out a bit rubbish. It would/ should have been easy for them to pull it back though.

Furthermore, in terms of an apprentice letting a wiper arm slap against the windscreen, there's a simple solution to stopping this - tell them not to do it and to treat the customers property with respect!

It's not through a lack of respect that it happens I can assure you. It's more through human error, only seen it a handful of times but every time I've seen it, it's been doing wipers in the car park with the customer standing over. Of course it shouldn't, but when doing jobs where they shouldn't be done it can happen.

I'd be very disappointed if I seen any of our staff doing any jobs in the car park as I like to see our customers treated with respect and if we are fitting a set of wipers, it's always nice to fill the washer bottle at the same time and do a quick levels check while it's there. The car park isn't the place to work on a car, no matter how small the task. familiarity breeds contempt and all that.

Sure look anyway, jobs done after a bit of a head ache. Chance Joe Duffy or Murphy and Gunn next time but I think this problem is unfortunately across the board.

I had the drivers side wiper arm break on me whilst on holidays in West Cork last week (twilight and raining I might add :().
    As I had read this thread and signed up to the BMW First trial month, I rang Frank Keanes on the Naas Rd to order the part.
    Never really liked Keanes but they're the nearest to me (for both work and home). In fact, I cant really recall leaving them and being entirely happy but anyhow.

When talking to their parts guy on the phone, he was friendly and mentioned how the wiper arms frequently go and he usually had them in stock and would keep one aside for me. I did mention how I only wanted the arm. I told him I was a member of BMW First (Service & Repair) which gave me a 20% discount on parts.
    I also mentioned how I'd also collect the free set of wipers for the car at the same time. Told him I'd be in on Tuesday (of this week) to collect it all.

Anyhow, called into them on Tuesday at lunchtime. Initially was told that the parts weren't there ("it's not a part we'd usually have in stock") and I repeated that it should be there and was being kept aside for me. Sure enough, they then found it.
    Then I was told that the wipers would need to be fitted by Keanes for them to be free. I was told that the T&Cs of BMW First state this explicitly.
    "But I've to fit the wiper arm first"
    "ok then you'll have to come back - when would suit you for an appointment?"
    "Can I not just take the wiper blades and fit them myself"
    "I'm sorry sir. We are not allowed to just give them out. We need to book you in to fit them"
    "But that means I have to come back here which doesn't really suit me"
    "I'm sorry sir. Would 4:30 today suit you?"
    "No I'm working - can I not just call in later in the week?"
    "No sir we need to create an appointment"

So I booked in for 9am on Wednesday morning (told work I'd be in late).
    They were fitted on Wednesday - the car had to be brought into the workshop to do this (I had parked in the space literally beside the service door) and I had to sign a page confirming that I agreed to this!

When leaving, I asked for some form of receipt that the work was done for my records.
    "I'm sorry. We don't issue paper receipts for this but the work would be listed in your BMW-First account profile."
    It's not listed there so from a service history point of view, there's no record of it happening! :rolleyes:

I checked the T&Cs afterwards which state:

Nothing there about it being mandatory for BMW to fit the parts.

Also, their FAQ page states:

Their T&Cs also state:

So my first experience of BMW First is that I didn't get my 20% on parts and, although it didn't really suit me, had to return to Keanes for an apointment to get the wipers fitted.
    My experience of dealing with Keanes hasn't changed either :rolleyes:

Shall I be keeping the subscription to BMW First?
    I will in my ar*e!

I think your first mistake was going to Frank Keanes. I’ve found them very rude. I used Murphy and Gunn Milltown, see them recommended here a lot. Very friendly and never had any issues with them. I just walked in off the street no appointment and got the wipers fitted in the car park. 20% off my service today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Car service coming up end of the month and coming in at €850 (oil change, all filters and rear pads). If i sign up for bmw first for one month do i get 20% off this service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I think your first mistake was going to Frank Keanes. I’ve found them very rude. I used Murphy and Gunn Milltown, see them recommended here a lot. Very friendly and never had any issues with them. I just walked in off the street no appointment and got the wipers fitted in the car park. 20% off my service today too.

I’ve used frank Keane in blackrock for the last 4 years and found them great.

My car is due a service next month and I need wipers anyway so think I’ll sign up for this and give it a try.

Wailin wrote: »
    Car service coming up end of the month and coming in at €850 (oil change, all filters and rear pads). If i sign up for bmw first for one month do i get 20% off this service?

Yes. My service was due to be €450, with Bmw first it came in at €322. 20% off parts and service so a nice saving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wailin wrote: »

Yes, even the basic €5 a month option includes the 20% off servicing. It's worth that alone for the replacement wipers and bulbs.

Advertisement