Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors chat - round 12 *****

• 23-03-2018 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

Keep it clean, be nice and helpful.

Motors charter applies.

Round 11 is HERE

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Does anyone believe Brexit is going to make it more difficult/impossible to bring a car in from the U.K.?

Myself & herself have been talking about it, but are wondering are we on a 12 month countdown now before it's too late!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106508817&postcount=9439

Hopefully he gets put off the road for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Does anyone believe Brexit is going to make it more difficult/impossible to bring a car in from the U.K.?

Myself & herself have been talking about it, but are wondering are we on a 12 month countdown now before it's too late!

If the Brits leave the customs union then most likely you could have to pay VAT on imports too as well as VRT making importing a car very expensive but there is so much up in the air at the moment it's hard to tell what way it's going to pan out. There really was no plan in place for a "Leave" vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I can see another referendum in which they will try and have a "Stay" vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

bazz26 wrote: »
    If the Brits leave the customs union then most likely you could have to pay VAT on imports too as well as VRT making importing a car very expensive but there is so much up in the air at the moment it's hard to tell what way it's going to pan out. There really was no plan in place for a "Leave" vote.

Will it become much harder to import kit cars and Ariels after the big Brex?

• Advertisement

No idea but I cannot see it being easy at the moment either given the way insurance companies don't like anything that's not vanilla in their minds. Remember insurance companies here tend to class cars like a 130bhp Bora as a sports car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I can see another referendum in which they will try and have a "Stay" vote.
    They should give it the good old Nice/Lisbon treaty option and have a second referendum

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

ELM327 wrote: »
    They should give it the good old Nice/Lisbon treaty option and have a second referendum

That's exactly what I had in my mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Gsf are having a weekend sale on car parts, use code wow56 from Ireland saved my self 100.€

56% off a new Bosch battery 027 s4 60amp in my case, full price 189€,

Including free delivery it's ended up only costing me 82€ thank you very much Gsf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

davycc wrote: »
    Gsf are having a weekend sale on car parts, use code wow56 from Ireland saved my self 100.€

56% off a new Bosch battery 027 s4 60amp in my case, full price 189€,

Including free delivery it's ended up only costing me 82€ thank you very much Gsf

Whats gsf? :)

• Advertisement

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Whats gsf? :)

German Swedish and French car parts!
    Two office's in Dublin Beaumont branch on my doorstep almost.
    Free courier delivery if you order something over 30€
    https://www.gsfcarparts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Originally Posted by colm_mcm View Post
    Fuel filter is only due on those every 120k

Originally posted by mickiemcfist
    I always find it weird that fuel filters have different service intervals car to car, I used to change them every 40k & still do, surely petrol has the same amount of sediment whether in a civic or a Carrera.
    A Carrera will go through a lot more fuel in 40k than a Civic will.

Also given that the filter on the civic is so inaccessible (think it’s under the centre console because of the fuel tank position under the front seats) they may have fitted an oversized filter

What's the story with getting a fresh UK import a D reg if you don't have an address there? It's being sold by a fairly big dealer so is it a matter of just getting them to stick Dublin at the end of the address and then once issued a registration, just log onto the motor tax website and change the address to the correct county before taxing it? Anyone done similar?

Disclaimer: I'm not one for believing in this D reg nonsense but the car has a somewhat limit market so for resale purposes a D reg would probably be more universally accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You would need a Dublin address.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

When VRTing the car, the address on the proof of address you provide is the one that determines the reg. I just did this recently. Gave a Cork proof of address (my home home) and then once I got the log book and went to tax it, I changed the address to my current one. Got my C reg number on the day in the VRT centre.

edit. tl;dr yes sticking Dublin on it before he dealer registers it should work. Not sure what sort of proof they'll need from a dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Since there's now going to be a transition deal until the end of 2020, I would have thought everything will continue as is until then at least.

A deal would have to include cars (for the UK given how many cars are made over there, and if they've caved so much on other areas, I don't see why they won't compromise to get that put through as well) so it's highly unlikely there will be any kind of tariffs (customs duties) either, but I suppose it is possible that VAT will have to be paid on imports with it being non-EU.

When VRTing the car, the address on the proof of address you provide is the one that determines the reg. I just did this recently. Gave a Cork proof of address (my home home) and then once I got the log book and went to tax it, I changed the address to my current one. Got my C reg number on the day in the VRT centre.

edit. tl;dr yes sticking Dublin on it before he dealer registers it should work. Not sure what sort of proof they'll need from a dealer.

I can understand that if an individual is VRTing a car themselves but it's very possible that the VRT is already paid by the dealer but the car is not registered yet until it's sold. When I bought my last imported car from a dealer I was never asked for proof of address when they registered it. They just asked me if I wanted the reg in my county or theres.

Yep, I think it’s the same as registering a new car, they don’t look for any proof. You could register the car at the garages address using their post code, tax it, then change address?

If ye have a spare 47 minutes, this documentary on the production of limousines in Russia is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/cHRX_6rBs6M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Dartz

Think one of the scum vans got me outside Cork.

The thing was hidden by a truck on the inside lane right up until I was alongside it - doing a hundred and eight.

Still, backfiring it through the Jack Laynch tunnel amused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭morritty

davycc wrote: »
    German Swedish and French car parts!
    Two office's in Dublin Beaumont branch on my doorstep almost.
    Free courier delivery if you order something over 30€
    https://www.gsfcarparts.ie

Nice one, might have to grab one, think my battery is getting a bit old now. and handy being a 2 minute walk

morritty wrote: »
    Nice one, might have to grab one, think my battery is getting a bit old now. and handy being a 2 minute walk

You can order online and check it's in stock , pay by credit card and click the collect button on ther checkout screen.

.. a friend of mine sent it to me as i was crying about my battery going two days after the 16 year old car hit 150k miles Saved myself a ton for once so just trying to pass on the good karma

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/turbo-trainers/turbo-trainer-accessories/tacx-tablet-handlebar-mount

Just waiting to see someone attach one of these to the handlebars of their road bike so they can watch YouTube while weaving through traffic.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32808337228.html?pid=808_0000_0209&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32808337228

We can get one of these for the cars,not a bit unsafe.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

What's the story with getting a fresh UK import a D reg if you don't have an address there? It's being sold by a fairly big dealer so is it a matter of just getting them to stick Dublin at the end of the address and then once issued a registration, just log onto the motor tax website and change the address to the correct county before taxing it? Anyone done similar?

Disclaimer: I'm not one for believing in this D reg nonsense but the car has a somewhat limit market so for resale purposes a D reg would probably be more universally accepted.

Yep, I did this. Just give them any address. I gave my sister’s but I’m pretty certain it’s not verified, so literally anything will do.

My new wheels:

n57sixSeries.jpg

Disclaimer: Not an actual photo of the car but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

My new wheels:

What did you have before this one a 520d F10 ?

Yes a 520d.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

My new wheels:

[/IMG]

640d?

530d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Well wear Bazz.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement