Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"BMW First"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You are admitting yourself that you are not their target market(not interested in BMW aftercare) so I don't think they will be too bothered about your lack of interest.

They are launching a new product, obviously not going to appeal to everyone but I'm sure it makes economic sense to plenty of their customers

If you could get the i8 for 3 days I'd be seriously interested. Others would be a m car, anything else and I wouldn't bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

v10 wrote: »
    I was just emailed details of a new service being offered by BMW .. what are your thoughts on it ? ...

Basically for €49 per month you get :

• Monthly exterior hand-wash and monthly interior vacuum at any BMW Dealer for free.
    • For each BMW Service choose between pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge.
    • In-depth leather care and interior cleaning with original BMW cleaning products included.
    • Drive a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year for free
    • Rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation for free.
    • We take care of your scratches and dents up to an amount of € 100.00 / year.
    • 10% discount on toll road expenses (up to € 100.00 / year).
    • Get 5 cents on each liter of fuel at partnering petrol stations.

€600 per year .. what do you think ?

Ow my brain. . . . . .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can see where BMW are coming from with this - premium brand and they want to offer a premium level of service.

The product needs to be right though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So if I pay my €588 for the year, then demand an m7 for three days, and they can't supply that car, can I reclaim that 588 back ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mikeecho wrote: »
    Yeah and I think that would be the general opinion, but could I rent a M or i series BMW for less than €600 ? Where ? (genuinely curious)

Here, http://www.autoeurope.ie/luxury.cfm

Or you could head to BMW Welt, and take a car out for a day.
    Daytime autobahn blasts, and night time steins of beer.

You could. But it's in München. ....gonna cost you a lot more than €600 when you tot that up.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

mikeecho wrote: »
    So if I pay my €588 for the year, then demand an m7 for three days, and they can't supply that car, can I reclaim that 588 back ?

Well I was told on the phone that I could but I would make sure to have a record of a call or get it in an email before I signed up, and would look for a refund if they didn't deliver.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I was looking for the website to sign up for this and this thread popped up.

I signed up for this on my old BMW, it was 1 month free and it was brilliant, got the car cleaned and the wipers replaced, I think the wipers cost €35 on their own, my new car needs new wipers so I'm going to sign up again and get the car dropped off for a clean in a week or so. At €20 a month I find it worth it just to get it cleaned, I do a lot of motorway travelling so it gets dirty quickly, and before anyone says "you'd get a lot of buckets for €20", I've 2 smallies at home so the chance of being able to wash the car myself is next to impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

I got the mail myself last year and I didn't take much notice of it. From time to time they do offer some clever stuff such as replacing xenon bulbs free of charge to get you into the dealer but both times I had bulbs done on a 2004 325ci I had, there was no hard sell, just free bulbs :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Clareman wrote: »
    got the car cleaned and the wipers replaced, I think the wipers cost €35 on their own, my new car needs new wipers so I'm going to sign up again and get the car dropped off for a clean in a week or so.
    Were the wipers "free" under this package?

They made big changes to the 'BMW First' package they were originally touting. As you see from the original post, they were offering free rental of a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year, free rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation, free minor scratch repair etc but the cost was to be €49 per month. When it actually launched what they actually offered was a Mini Valet, Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs, Health Check, Fuel Discount for €19 per month which is a very different offering.

What I don't understand now is that they offer the free first month and cancel anytime so after signing up and availing of your free Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs and Health Check you are then effectively paying €19 per month for a Mini Valet and a Fuel Discount ? Nothing wrong with that but the Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs and Health Check are not going to be something you get very often ..

I might sign up and get the few bits during the free month and then cancel ? :)

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote: »

from http://bmw-first.ie/faq/
    How do I avail of new wiper blades?

For wiper blades there is no need to book an appointment at your chosen retailer. Refer to your BMW FIRST subscription at the welcome counter and a parts advisor will see to it that the right wiper blades are fitted swiftly to your vehicle (subject to parts availability).

Is there any additional cost when I get my wiper blades or lightbulbs changed?

There are no additional charges for changing the wiper blades or lightbulbs. Additional charges may only apply if you wish to receive additional services or repairs during your visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I thought all dealers would be doing this but looks like only a handful are participating

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

kbannon wrote: »

They were free with the free month's trial, after this it'll be €19.99 a month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I was just emailed details of a new service being offered by BMW .. what are your thoughts on it ? ...

Basically for €49 per month you get :

• Monthly exterior hand-wash and monthly interior vacuum at any BMW Dealer for free.
    • For each BMW Service choose between pick-up and delivery or replacement vehicle free of charge.
    • In-depth leather care and interior cleaning with original BMW cleaning products included.
    • Drive a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year for free
    • Rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation for free.
    • We take care of your scratches and dents up to an amount of € 100.00 / year.
    • 10% discount on toll road expenses (up to € 100.00 / year).
    • Get 5 cents on each liter of fuel at partnering petrol stations.

€600 per year .. what do you think ?

that's hilarious

They made big changes to the 'BMW First' package they were originally touting. As you see from the original post, they were offering free rental of a BMW model of your choice for 3 days a year, free rent a roof box or bicycle holder for your vacation, free minor scratch repair etc but the cost was to be €49 per month. When it actually launched what they actually offered was a Mini Valet, Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs, Health Check, Fuel Discount for €19 per month which is a very different offering.

What I don't understand now is that they offer the free first month and cancel anytime so after signing up and availing of your free Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs and Health Check you are then effectively paying €19 per month for a Mini Valet and a Fuel Discount ? Nothing wrong with that but the Wiper Blades, Light Bulbs and Health Check are not going to be something you get very often ..

I might sign up and get the few bits during the free month and then cancel ? :)

Yeah, you are pretty much paying €19 a month to have your car cleaned inside and out, Conlon's in Limerick has lovely coffee so you get a free coffee as well :) My car is only 2 years old so warranty and the service pack covers most things but the cleaning is handy, I also work close to the garage so I just drop it off on my way to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Sorry to bump this, looking at an offer now of €4.90 per month for Bmw first.
    https://www.bmw-first.ie/home?ds_c=BMW+%3E+AfterSales+%3E+Service+%3E+Brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3uLA77af3AIVRbvtCh0C4wIJEAAYASAAEgJizfD_BwE

Covers “free”
    Health check and diagnostics
    Wiper blades
    Bulbs
    20% discount on service and repair

I can’t see a catch here. There’s one month free and you can cancel at any point. I’m due a service next month , which I’m anticipating will be approx €500. So I can save €100 on this, get free wipers which I need and then cancel without costing me a cent. Anyone used this 20% service discount before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Sorry to bump this, looking at an offer now of €4.90 per month for Bmw first.
    https://www.bmw-first.ie/home?ds_c=BMW+%3E+AfterSales+%3E+Service+%3E+Brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3uLA77af3AIVRbvtCh0C4wIJEAAYASAAEgJizfD_BwE

Covers “free”
    Health check and diagnostics
    Wiper blades
    Bulbs
    20% discount on service and repair

I can’t see a catch here. There’s one month free and you can cancel at any point. I’m due a service next month , which I’m anticipating will be approx €500. So I can save €100 on this, get free wipers which I need and then cancel without costing me a cent. Anyone used this 20% service discount before?

Yes, signed up, got free wipers and an oil change for €140. 20% off, no questions asked. Very happy with that.

Great. Seems to be a no brainer. Wonder what they get out of it. Surely the majority of people cancel after taking the benefits. Makes a change to get something back off them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Same here. Signed up before event service and got my wipers and discount. Dealership had only just received their training on it so not all dealers may be fully up to speed on it yet. No brainer if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Yes, signed up, got free wipers and an oil change for €140. 20% off, no questions asked. Very happy with that.

"Free" wipers? Didn't you just buy a bmw? Which should have come fully serviced and roadworthy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

There is no such thing as a free lunch ever. I am super skecthy about subscription services. Yeah there may be some people who get value out of it, but the majority will sign up and pay without ever getting much out of it.

Wailin wrote: »
    "Free" wipers? Didn't you just buy a bmw? Which should have come fully serviced and roadworthy?

Wanted an interim oil change as the oil was a year and a half since bring changed. Existing wipers were about 50% gone, not essential but who cares if they are free.

There is no such thing as a free lunch ever. I am super skecthy about subscription services. Yeah there may be some people who get value out of it, but the majority will sign up and pay without ever getting much out of it.

I’m as skeptical about subscription services however I don’t see how I can lose here. There’s 1 month free, so it will literally cost me nothing. In return I’ll get wipers and 20% off the service which I was going to have to get anyway. Then I’ll cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Do you have to get the car serviced to avail of all the freebees or can you just call into the parts desk and say hey can I have a free set of wipers for my car?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Do you have to get the car serviced to avail of all the freebees or can you just call into the parts desk and say hey can I have a free set of wipers for my car?

You can get the wipers at any time as far as I know. I’ll be doing it this week anyway so I’ll update the thread with my progress.

Good man, please do as I signed up for the basic subscription last month but I only replaced the wipers a few months back and the car isn't due a service for a good while yet. For €5 a month it was a no brainer to cover the cost of replacement wipers and bulbs especially xenon bulbs alone.

bazz26 wrote: »
    For €5 a month it was a no brainer to cover the cost of replacement wipers and bulbs especially xenon bulbs alone.

Does it cover the xenons and how much would they usually be?

I cannot see anything in the t&c saying they don't cover xenon bulbs. A BMW dealer will retail a replacement xenon bulb for about €200 but you can buy them online much cheaper than that. They sometimes run promotions during winter time to replace bulbs free of charge including xenons.

But for €60 a year for the basic package to cover wipers and xenon bulbs alone, it's worth it imo.

You can check it out at: https://www.bmw-first.ie

I used this a few times, great service, didn't push anything like tyres or anything when getting the car valeted, I already have a fuel card so I didn't avail of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Clareman wrote: »
    I used this a few times, great service, didn't push anything like tyres or anything when getting the car valeted, I already have a fuel card so I didn't avail of it.

If you care about your car at all you wouldn't get a dealer "valet" your car, they will destroy the paintwork.

Advertisement