Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Yeah he did but it's a GNR song. Axl and izzy wrote a lot of the songs the band released but to me they are all GNR who were writing by one or a couple of the band members.

I know it’s Guns N’ Roses song as he didn't release it as a solo.

• fin12 wrote: »
    Ya that’s the one, on a use your illusion album. No duff wrote it.

Duff comes across as a way nicer guy than Slash, very down to earth guy, hard worker and smart.

Slash on the other hand pretty much a scumbag, he has a talent but other than that not much else going for him.

Based on reading both autobiography’s.

A bit harsh. I don't think anybody would come away smelling of roses from a 'warts and all' biography, especially when there is drink and drug addiction involved (I know I wouldn't). Slash always comes across as a thoughtful and reserved person in most interviews I have seen of him.

On a side note, I couldn't wait for general admission tickets and stupidly signed up for the Nightrain Fanclub (A badge and passport - whoopdeedoo!) through Ticketmaster to get the Slane pre-release tickets. My confirmation email said "Please note, communication in regards to how you can redeem your membership will be emailed to you within 7-10 working days of purchase" but I haven't heard anything yet.

Has anybody who did the same heard anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

fin12 wrote: »
    Ya that’s the one, on a use your illusion album. No duff wrote it.

Duff comes across as a way nicer guy than Slash, very down to earth guy, hard worker and smart.

Slash on the other hand pretty much a scumbag, he has a talent but other than that not much else going for him.

Based on reading both autobiography’s.

As far as i can see slash is talented at everything he does

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

On a side note, I couldn't wait for general admission tickets and stupidly signed up for the Nightrain Fanclub (A badge and passport - whoopdeedoo!) through Ticketmaster to get the Slane pre-release tickets. My confirmation email said "Please note, communication in regards to how you can redeem your membership will be emailed to you within 7-10 working days of purchase" but I haven't heard anything yet.

Has anybody who did the same heard anything?

I contacted ticketmaster and this is the reply
    Codes will be sent to you in due course,
    information will be passed on via the fanclub
    thanks,
    TM

that was the 18th of December and nothing yet!

• I contacted ticketmaster and this is the reply

that was the 18th of December and nothing yet!

Thanks very much. Hold tight I suppose. I know that the fanclub are notorious for posting things late so we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A bit harsh. I don't think anybody would come away smelling of roses from a 'warts and all' biography, especially when there is drink and drug addiction involved (I know I wouldn't). Slash always comes across as a thoughtful and reserved person in most interviews I have seen of him.

I don't think anyone associated with rock n' roll during the 80's came away smelling of roses, especially harsh judging Slash on his now 13 year autobiography, when he was probably still in the grips of addiction when the book was being written/ghost written.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

As far as i can see slash is talented at everything he does

Like what trashing hotel rooms and anything basically for the sake of it.

I said he has a talent but not a nice person.

Rock star did rock star things while pissed on drink, and on whatever else.

We'd all have done the same stupid things if we were in Slash's shoes back then, or any rock musician come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

As he said himself he was consumed by drugs back then a functioning addict his only desire each day was to score his fix each day and play a little rock n roll in between fixs
    Duff's addiction to alcohol would be a more sociable addiction .
    Something I noticed when reading the biographies was that Slash seemed to have a more detailed account of what was going on while Duff admits to having little or no memory of various dates on the 91-93 tour. Guess it's the various effects of different addictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The one issue I had with slash’s biography was his retelling of the St. Louis riot. Was he drunk when he wrote that part ?(or maybe he remembers it’s that way) I mean he could have watched the footage of the concert to refresh his memory.

Duffs book from after he got sober was great as he was clear minded.

Steven’s book wasn’t that joyful but honest to at times a fault.

• Advertisement

Must give that at read.
    Axls,.... if its ever put to print would be a very interesting read

• Must give that at read.
    Axls,.... if its ever put to print would be a very interesting read

I read Mick Wall's Axl book. It's not the worst read but he clearly just went to youtube and described live events in great detail. A very lazy way of researching.

It accelerated the band's implosion in the mid '90's, but the GN'R cover of Sympathy For The Devil isn't actually that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I read Mick Wall's Axl book. It's not the worst read but he clearly just went to youtube and described live events in great detail. A very lazy way of researching.

Probably because Axl was reclusive and a bit nuts, and hard to get hold of?

Probably because Axl was reclusive and a bit nuts, and hard to get hold of?

Or Axl probably still holds a grudge against Mick Wall from 1990, and the fact that Mick refused to hand over a copy of the tape of an interview he did with Axl in January 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

As he said himself he was consumed by drugs back then a functioning addict his only desire each day was to score his fix each day and play a little rock n roll in between fixs
    Something I noticed when reading the biographies was that Slash seemed to have a more detailed account of what was going on while Duff admits to having little or no memory of various dates on the 91-93 tour. Guess it's the various effects of different addictions.

If I recall from Slash's autobio, he always kept a diary in the form of a Filofax. Might explain how was able to "recall" so many little incidents and anecdotes.

Found it to be a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I found him very nice to be fair, i'm not a fan of drawing on guitars but the graphic he drew on my late (then very sick ) friends guitar was amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I found him very nice to be fair, i'm not a fan of drawing on guitars but the graphic he drew on my late (then very sick ) friends guitar was amazing

I think I know who you are talking about.....

well at least he admits it. I mean just go and look at the GNR interviews from 1992-93 that involved duff. He looks and sounds like death warmed up in them.

I think it was said that slash kept a diary of sorts but I remember that some of them were lost/stolen at some point. In all three biographies of GNR members outside of changing names of people for obvious reason and some vague recollections of events which aren't vague(slash and the St Louis riot etc) they were enjoyable books.

As lithium said about Slash and his struggles. You have to remember slash became famous on a huge scale at 22. I mean he's not the first to fall to the things that fame and fortune bring but thankfully he's come out the far side as have all of the GNR lads.

Slash did an interview with guitar.com during NAMM 2020. The topic of the new Guns album album came up, and here's what he had to say.

Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?
    There’s been no definitive answer on anything and I’ll just keep keep to that. Stuff is happening, but there are no specifics. More than anything, it’s because of the nature of the industry right now. It’s just like, how do you want to do this? I mean there’s material and there’s recording and there’s **** going on, but we’re not really sure what we’re doing with it right now.

The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.
    Yeah! And there’s a handful people who said, ’Yeah, make a record and go old school’. And there’s a handful of people that are like, ’We don’t even know what buying a record is any more!

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/namm-2020-slash-gibson-collection-his-new-gibson-collection-new-guns-n-roses-album/

• Advertisement

Thanks very much. Hold tight I suppose. I know that the fanclub are notorious for posting things late so we'll see.

I got my redemption code and have ordered everything - hope you got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭badabing106

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Slash did an interview with guitar.com during NAMM 2020. The topic of the new Guns album album came up, and here's what he had to say.

Speaking of Guns, have you got anything more you can share about the new album?

The music industry in 2020 is a lot different to the last time you all made a Guns record.

https://guitar.com/features/interviews/namm-2020-slash-gibson-collection-his-new-gibson-collection-new-guns-n-roses-album/
    Slash must be completely fed up with axls inability to release music. They should call the next tour "welcome to the cash grab tour"

It's a complete joke but at least slash has got a sense of humour and can see the funny side of it :p

Slash must be completely fed up with axls inability to release music. They should call the next tour "welcome to the cash grab tour"

It's a complete joke but at least slash has got a sense of humour and can see the funny side of it :p

you do know that video is fake right?

No nobody with the band has died(it's the one thing I fear when I see this thread updated) but just wondering about gnr here on my break as to how they are all still alive.

No nobody with the band has died(it's the one thing I fear when I see this thread updated) but just wondering about gnr here on my break as to how they are all still alive.

God knows a few of them gave it their best shot not to be this side of 30 let alone mid 50s
    I suppose Steven is the only one that carries the visible scars of their misadventures.
    Both Duff and Slash must be of the same DNA of a certain Mr Richards.
    If I remember correctly Duff only had one as good as dead episode
    While Slash had two .
    Any way Duff was 56 and Axl 58 during the week.
    Happy birthday ****kers .

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Are they a cartoon band at this stage?

Granadino wrote: »
    Are they a cartoon band at this stage?

Nostalgia band really .
    Like all the other massively big touring bands like
    ACDC Metallica Aerosmith Rolling Stones
    Big tours nowadays are about selling TShirts not music .
    The music has already been bought and paid for 25 years ago

God knows a few of them gave it their best shot not to be this side of 30 let alone mid 50s
    I suppose Steven is the only one that carries the visible scars of their misadventures.
    Both Duff and Slash must be of the same DNA of a certain Mr Richards.
    If I remember correctly Duff only had one as good as dead episode
    While Slash had two .
    Any way Duff was 56 and Axl 58 during the week.
    Happy birthday ****kers .

They did give it the old college try alright. Yeah Steven is lucky to be alive being honest. Slash had two ? I remember he "dying" on the UYI tour somewhere in the hotel(outside the lift) but what was the second one ?

Izzy leaving when he did probably saved him from ending up either dead or in jail(he had an incident on a plane from memory in 1989) and duff had one bang and that was that.

Axl never seemed to get too far off the reservation. He obviously drank and did stuff but he never got lost. Even after AFD came out in TV and magazine interview he's always the one who seems on guard. It's mentioned in one interview done in a hotel room of sunset boulevard by the guy doing the interview that axl is the only one fully lucid and stears the others away from saying something stupid.

• Advertisement

They did give it the old college try alright. Yeah Steven is lucky to be alive being honest. Slash had two ? I remember he "dying" on the UYI tour somewhere in the hotel(outside the lift) but what was the second one ?

Izzy leaving when he did probably saved him from ending up either dead or in jail(he had an incident on a plane from memory in 1989) and duff had one bang and that was that.

Axl never seemed to get too far off the reservation. He obviously drank and did stuff but he never got lost. Even after AFD came out in TV and magazine interview he's always the one who seems on guard. It's mentioned in one interview done in a hotel room of sunset boulevard by the guy doing the interview that axl is the only one fully lucid and stears the others away from saying something stupid.

As far as I can recall, Slash's second one would've been 2001 when his heart gave out after all the years of drugs and booze. Originally given between 6 days to 6 months. He got a 2nd opinion, and thankfully he's still kicking about.

Axl, overdosed in '86, said overdose went on to eventually inspire Coma.

Advertisement