Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's in Germany or planning to come over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

I miss my Club Orange and Finches orange.

If anyone was driving over and could bring some over, I would be in seventh heaven.

I also miss Brunches, but I guess driving over with a load of ice cream is asking too much

I live near Heidelberg at the French boarder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Orla_inka wrote: »
    I hate language schools. They are a rip off both for people working there and students.

If anyone asks about learning German I tell them that there are Germans crying out for tandem partners in most universities. .. Also, I think it is a good way to meet lots of young people. Just post a message on the boards.

It's the best method in my opinion as well, provided you have some basics first.

I lived in Erlangen and used this website, which is also good for the Nuremberg area.

I gave the first three months of my time in Germany with barely anyone to talk to. It was miserable! I stubbornly avoided Irish pubs as I felt I'd just get into a lazy habit of hanging out solely with Anglophones and learn no German. I discovered the Spachduo website, created a profile, and received loads of emails from Germans. Orla is right: many are really eager to find native speakers to practice with. It's a great way to make friends too. I made some brilliant ones.

My only problem with tandempartnership is that if a big disparity exists between the level of skill that you and your partner possesses (and this often happens because the Germans that go for it usually have very good English), then this can lead to you using more English than German. If you start off in English and are having a brilliant conversation, it can be really hard to switch to German. That's just what I found, but then again, I lack will power :)

I also told my tandempartners that I was doing it to make friends as much as anything else and for the most part that worked too. I also met a group of Americans from Toy Town, great guys, and I managed to get them and my tandempartners to meet regularly for some brilliant evenings out.

In short, I couldn't recommend the method highly enough if you're looking to get to know people and practice German.

Nice link, there. Yes, I didn't think about the disparity of language levels.

When I came to Germany first, I was passing through ... that was years and years and ye...ago. I avoided speaking German as much as I could, only speaking it when the other person could not speak English.

After a year and I was still here: I thought that I really had to do something about the language. That is where I hit my first (of many) stone wall. Unfortunately, Germans want to practice their English at every chance. And they are so fookin' hartnäckig (persistent)

How often did I hear someone suggest that I speak German and they would speak English to me? Well, I am not really here for you to speak English to me.

I still hear the same over again. Others in the same boat. "You speak German and I speak English". :mad:

You need that all-important willpower to answer, you need to speak/learn the language of the country.

It is very hard not to come across as being rude. I just am. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Empire o de Sun

I have good days and bad days with my german. The best thing to do is to stop reading english websites, i find this hard to do, but maybe try it for a week.

But if you are a beginner, get a childrens book. Maybe one you remember from your childhood and start there.

Immersion is the key to learning. Put yellow stickies on thing in your flat, such as the doop, press, room, knives etc. Learning by association is easier.

use whatever german you have, even if it's just numbers at the start. If will build up your confidence and over time more vocab will come.

But if you are a beginner, get a childrens book. Maybe one you remember from your childhood and start there.

Something like this is ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

scopper wrote: »
    I'm moving to Freiburg in Nov. Moving over to the GF once I finish my PhD here (submitting in a week or two).

Must admit I am a bit worried as I have no German and no money to do a course.<snip>
    You should relax about the language.
    You have the best teacher at home by moving in with a german chick IF you try and speak the lingo with her at home.
    Most people I know with excellent german have german boyfiriend/girlfriends.
    (the others are Dutch or freaks of nature that speak 15 different languages)
    And being german they have a network of german friends where the social language is German (as opposed to international folks who speak English amongst themselves)

I even noticed some of my mates coming on in quantam leaps just after moving in with a german, especially with the accent.

The main thing is not to give up and persevere with it. Its not as hard as you think.
    BTW- you will just ignore the worst of the grammar after a while anyhow. Once you have the vocab and the sentence structure, you'll be able to communicate 100% and THAT is what matters, not having your der die das ****e right in every last case. (Although for written german you do have to be pretty spot on, but you cant get a job as a paper pushing civil servant as a foreigner anyhow i dont think!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TonythePony

What kind of job opportunities are on offer in Germany for someone who has only a very basic grasp of the language. What job sites did you guys look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Dish washer(spüler), Waiter(kellner) or warehouse worker(lagerhaus arbeiter).

If you have a degree the skys the limit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the job centre has currently 641,507 job positions open.
    and some specifically for english speakers.

i.e. by searching with "english" as my term and "München" i.e. munich as the city, 100+ results came and as an example heres a callcentre looking for NATIVE speakers in munich

english speaking call centre job in munich

German jobcentre job database main homepage
    http://jobboerse.arbeitsagentur.de/

EDIT: or search for jobs scrubbing floors and cleaning the bogs as mentioned above!!

So glad I'm in germany now and not at home. Working again and have a shoooot load of holidays compared to what I had in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I'm living in Darmstadt! Again, as has been said previously if i try and speak german (i'm here 8 weeks, didn't have a word of german when i arrived) germans immediately pick up on the fact that i'm struggling and answer me in english which is the last thing i want! Also i'm here with other irish people so the social language is always english and I study in English! I also agree that language courses are a waste of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Furet wrote: »
    My only problem with tandempartnership is that if a big disparity exists between the level of skill that you and your partner possesses (and this often happens because the Germans that go for it usually have very good English), then this can lead to you using more English than German. If you start off in English and are having a brilliant conversation, it can be really hard to switch to German. That's just what I found, but then again, I lack will power :)
    My tandem partner is the missus. We were having this trouble at the beginning as well as her english was farrrrr better than my German (she's a translator) so we made a rule: We speak alternating months only english or German. We switched to German for December this morning, just like that. We speak, email and skype in the requisite language so we get a good month of "immersion" (though I speak german at work these days now as well so it's less critical).

It's a stereotype that Germans follow the rules doggedly, but it's not far from the truth, so if anyone is having trouble with a tandem partner, make it a rule that you only speak x language this week/month and alternate. It's fair on both parties. Worked for me anyway. Oh, I did intensive German classes when i first arrived here, and I wouldn't dismiss them as quickly as some on here, with the right school/teacher of course.

murphaph wrote: »

It's a stereotype that Germans follow the rules doggedly, but it's not far from the truth.

Yesterday in Nuremberg I was with a few Americans and we came to a pedestrian crossing where the pedestrian light was red. The road we wanted to cross was little more than a lane and there was no traffic in sight. We were four, and there was also a woman with a small child at the crossing waiting for the light to go green. One of the American guys looked left and right, saw that there was nothing coming, and crossed the road, though the light was still red. Suddenly the woman called angrily after him "Hallo!!! Die ist eine kleine Kind!". In other words, "how dare you set such a bad example to my child". It was an eye opener!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yesterday in Nuremberg I was with a few Americans and we came to a pedestrian crossing where the pedestrian light was red. The road we wanted to cross was little more than a lane and there was no traffic in sight. We were four, and there was also a woman with a small child at the crossing waiting for the light to go green. One of the American guys looked left and right, saw that there was nothing coming, and crossed the road, though the light was still red. Suddenly the woman called angrily after him "Hallo!!! Die ist eine kleine Kind!". In other words, "how dare you set such a bad example to my child". It was an eye opener!

Yeah they can be a bit crazy like that. You were corrupting the little tykes whole world view with that breech of protocol. Still thou if you think thats bad just don't let on that you pee standing up or you will really here all about it!!!!:eek::eek::rolleyes:

Yup. I know guys that got 25 euro for crossing the road at a red light. Even though no cars were coming. Its madness, but thats germany for you!

I confess, I will cross the road if there is no traffic. I will look, however, to see whether there are children (or police) around. Anyone who speaks disparagingly about the need to set a good example for children, is just plain ignorant.

A couple of years ago I was on my bike. I crossed the road to go home just as the lights were changing. It was a close shave. A police car was at the lights and followed me to my door. They took down my details. Asked me to open the door - making sure it was my house.

I waited for the fine - but none came.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Oh crap, nobody told me it was actually illegal (or about that example-setting thing, for that matter!) :eek: I've been jaywalking all over the place for the last six months!

Will have to pay more attention next time. I'm so used to it, I don't even think about it anymore; if there's no cars I just go. And here I was thinking the Germans were odd for waiting even though there were no cars! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hee, hee have a look at the link here, I'm sure you've seen these signs near traffic lights before. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ampelfreund/4496554613

Vorbild means role model, so no more excuses :D

I mus admit I do the same as Orla, have a good look around for kids or cops and then leg it! But I have no problem waiting if there are any kids around. I respect the efforts they make. We probably all know of someone or heard some story of kids who got killed crossing the road when/where they shouldn't have and it's just too sad.

So be a good role model folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

liah wrote: »
    Oh crap, nobody told me it was actually illegal (or about that example-setting thing, for that matter!) :eek: I've been jaywalking all over the place for the last six months!

Will have to pay more attention next time. I'm so used to it, I don't even think about it anymore; if there's no cars I just go. And here I was thinking the Germans were odd for waiting even though there were no cars! :pac:

Hahaha - you picked up too many bad habits since your time in Ireland. We Irish are notorious jay-walkers.
    Seriously to the Germanic mindset its such a faux pas. Its the equivalent to walking down the street naked in a very Catholic town in Ireland.

Other thing to realise in Germany. You will notice alot of germans curse in English. And they curse vehemently in English. They throw around really strong/harsh f-bombs with abandon - seemingly not realising how strong this is to a native english speaker. This is not just down to MTV Europe however. Apparently cursing in German is actually against the law and can get you fined etc. Cursing in English however is fair game.
    Or so I was told anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Apparently cursing in German is actually against the law and can get you fined etc. Cursing in English however is fair game.
    Or so I was told anyway
    Naaah ...cursing is not illegal in Germany in whatever language ...but insulting somebody (= Beleidigung) is.

So be careful flipping the bird to other people, especially when in your car, as the numberplate makes it easy for someone (with witnesses) to report you and have you fined. Insulting a police officer or any other official (in the heat of the moment for example) can get really expensive (Beamtenbeleidigung)

• Advertisement

Cursing in Germany is a lot more serious. If you go around calling someone a schlampa or a möze(not sure if I spelled either right) people will usually react with a dropped jaw.

I havent done it myself but I did once make the mistake of saying möze instead of mütze to my girlfriend in public. Based on the looks on there faces they didnt care that I was a foreigner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Patricide wrote: »
    Cursing in Germany is a lot more serious. If you go around calling someone a schlampa or a möze(not sure if I spelled either right) people will usually react with a dropped jaw.

You wouldn't call someone a sl*t or c*nt to their face here either, would you? In public or not ...

That's not cursing ..that's insulting in either language

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

After 34 years living in Germany, I can say, that cursing as such is not seen as an offence against the law.

But there is still a difference between a curse and an insult, and if you insult a cop or somebody belonging to a so called disadvantaged group (people with a disability, people from a foreign country, etc) you are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I don't think the jaywalking rule over there is that ridiculous, the traffic system over there is way better too which means you're not waiting long anyway...

I'm hoping to study in Germany for a year the after next, not sure where yet though :D I've been to Aachen many times visiting family, Konstanz for 5 weeks doing a school exchange, and day trips to loads of places.

I was hoping to go to Rock am Ring in the Nurburgring this year, but the plans have fallen through the rafters :(

peasant wrote: »
    You wouldn't call someone a sl*t or c*nt to their face here either, would you? In public or not ...

That's not cursing ..that's insulting in either language
    Ah in Ireland you can insult someone in a joking manner and people get it. In Germany its always serious.

Regarding cursing:
    I once cursed in English within earshot of a traffic warden (ok I was certainly loud) and I was fined a hefty amount of money. This, even after an apology letter written by my husband. My expletive was only fractionally directed at her - also at me and the car. (It was free parking. I had put the clock with arrival time on the wrong side. I was angry with the world. My annoyance cost me €250.)

Years and years ago a pal was fined 1500DM for saying: "Du Arschloch" to a policeman. 500DM for the "Arschloch" and 1000DM for the familiar "Du".

I have heard people say "****" on German TV - never bleeped out!!!

Edit: Hahaha but I see that it is bleeped out here. (was the f-word.)

Regarding cursing:
    I once cursed in English within earshot of a traffic warden (ok I was certainly loud) and I was fined a hefty amount of money. This, even after an apology letter written by my husband. My expletive was only fractionally directed at her - also at me and the car. (It was free parking. I had put the clock with arrival time on the wrong side. I was angry with the world. My annoyance cost me €250.)

Years and years ago a pal was fined 1500DM for saying: "Du Arschloch" to a policeman. 500DM for the "Arschloch" and 1000DM for the familiar "Du".

Wow, 1000dm for du. Thats nuts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Regarding cursing:

From your husband? Why not from yourself? What difference would it make if it's from you or your husband? :confused:

liah wrote: »
    From your husband? Why not from yourself? What difference would it make if it's from you or your husband? :confused:

Because my written German is crap.

• Advertisement

Because my written German is crap.

ditto!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit.
    By the way, I found the "du" thing hard, but you get away with it most of the time as an Auslander, but I'm pretty much using Sie now 80% of the time I supposed to, and 10% when I not, which is even more annoying and embarassing. I did dutz a police man once, by accident, he wasn't too happy, but my german was really bad at the time.

I recommend germany to anyone who is thinking of it. Best thing I've done for years.

Advertisement