Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong winds for Donegal and Mayo -- more widespread wintry showers Connacht/Ulster

• 12-03-2020 6:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭

Brief intro post as I prepare the forecast, noticed that Met E have orange level wind warning in place for later morning to mid-afternoon time periods for Donegal and Mayo (from myself, would say WSW 80-120 km/hr). Also yellow level wind warnings more widespread in north and west, and wintry precip alerts (yellow status) for much of higher portions of Connacht and Ulster, could apply locally in west Munster. Will leave actual content to people with a bit more time. Stay safe.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thanks for starting the thread MT. :)

Focus in this country seems to be on anything but the weather for the last few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is that a squall line moving in from the West

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

car was white on one side last night when I came come. bit of wet snow this morning. breezy in donegal as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

I hear some thunder rumbling in Galway city now

Lightening just there outside Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Very windy out moycullen area in Galway, lots of thunder and electricity flashing. Working from home today....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Increasingly windy/gusty in Dublin 16.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Very tasty on the road from C'bar to Galway this morning. Car was all over the place!!
    Heavy flooding at the quay in Westport also going off FB pictures.
    Good job Portwest didn't get their planning otherwise they'd be under water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thunder and lightning here SW Donegal, had it last night also. Heavy hail showers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very wild out here. Just went out at the back and what a sight the ocean is. Crested white against dark grey skies.

west mayo all at sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Very strong gusts here in west Dublin. I think everyone’s attention is elsewhere so this one could sneak up on a lot of people.

Be careful driving out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very windy for the last two hours, some heavy hail and sleet showers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

(came here to get away from all the news.... take care guys)

Just checked the Met rain radar and it looks like there is a squall line coming in across Co Cork; wonder if it'll produce some lightning.

Been very windy all morning from NNW - we even had some sore hail this morning at 0820h... it was driven by the wind and hurt the face.

(location near Riverstick Co Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A very heavy hail shower- the ground is completely white.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Serious thunder and lightening here in meath at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Heavy rain shower here at the moment. Dublin 5. No hail just rain. Gone very very dark.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Thunderstorms in over Mayo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Flashes of lightning & loud thunder claps north county Dublin - kind of sums up the day !

Thunder, deluges of various kinds and qualities and squalls

west mayo all at sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Wet and windy in South Kerry with frequent hail showers all day.

Passed over the Caha pass today and skidded as I came out of a tunnel. Not a nice feeling considering the drop !!
    Had my 4*4 and was glad of the traction .

• Advertisement

Wet and windy in South Kerry with frequent hail showers all day.

Passed over the Caha pass today and skidded as I came out of a tunnel. Not a nice feeling considering the drop !!
    Had my 4*4 and was glad of the traction .

"ah yes, I remember it well!"

Loved that road. Enjoy! And BE CAREFUL!

All is blissfully quiet again out here. There is something very special about the silence after a gale. Very intense and soothing.

West Mayo all at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Interesting to note that the strongest winds were recorded at Mace Head during this period, although we were in the yellow zone, whereas Belmullet appears to have recorded much lower mean winds and gusts. Thankfully, we did not have the severe thunderstorms that parts of Mayo and Donegal experienced during the past few days but it was very very windy from 4.00 am Thurday morning.

Advertisement