Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Renewal Witnesses

• 02-02-2019 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭

Who decides what jobs/professions are trustworthy to witness passport application signatures?

CMCjZ0n.png

I suppose the intention is to make it easier to find someone convenient to witness the signature, but why for example are bank managers considered more trustworthy than farmers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

They would be expected to have training on probity and have a full understanding of the consequences of a false action, ie being fired and never capable of being rehired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

"Member of the clergy". Do we trust them now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

No solicitor?

I suppose notary public would be a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    "Member of the clergy". Do we trust them now?

Maybe arguably more so than Guards, Medical Doctors and Elected Representatives, all of whom also feature in the list above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Marcusm wrote: »
    They would be expected to have training on probity and have a full understanding of the consequences of a false action, ie being fired and never capable of being rehired.
    My job is on that list. I have never been trained in probity. It's kind of insulting to imply that those people are remotely more honest or upright on average than a chippie or a shopkeeper.

• Advertisement

How many people would use a nurse anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

At least some of them are governed by regulatory bodies who would give sanctions if they falsified information.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

At least some of them are governed by regulatory bodies who would give sanctions if they falsified information.
    Most of them are also covered by unions that would be all over a sniff of a sanction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

They're registered with public organisations and have undergone some sort of registration process. The passport office therefore has an independent route to get their details and verify them.

They are also jobs with a public profile and character expectations where being found to have witnessed something untrue could materially impact their career.

The list also covers the people in a community who would know many members of the community meaning that most people should be able to.find someone to vouch for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

It's like a list of people I wouldn't trust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've just renewed my daughters passport and got the form filled out by her preschool teacher. The view I took was that it was somebody in a position of responsibility who would actually know that you were related to that child. I actually considered going into my vets as she knows us well and the opening hours were handier for both of us.

If there was an issue with the legality of the passport then there would be consequences for the person that filled out the form, the bank may issue a manager with a warning or disciplinary action, whereas a farmer is self employed and doesn't technically have to answer to anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

How come 'man/woman in the street, busker, hippy, drug dealer' are not in that list.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No solicitor?

I suppose notary public would be a solicitor.

A lawyer could be a solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have always called into my bank. Never a problem.

If it is for an adult do it online. Does not need to be witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Speech Therapist?
    I'm retired, but my former job is on that list.
    It is a crazy list. Did they have a session in a government department asking people to shout out the first job that comes into your head?

If it is for an adult do it online. Does not need to be witnessed.

Not true of all cases and passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

John Murphy
    Mullingar
    Co. Westmeath

This, apparently is an actual letter received by the Irish Passport
    Office.

Dear Sirs,

I'm in the process of renewing my passport, and I am losing the will to live. How is it that Sky Television has my address and telephone number and knows that I bought a ****ing satellite dish from them back in 1995, and yet, the Government is still asking me where I was ****ing born and on what date.

For **** sake, do you guys do this by hand? My birth date you have
    on my pension book, and it is on all the income tax forms I've filed
    for the past 30 years. It is on my PPS card, my driving
    license, my car insurance, on the last eight ****ing passports I've had,
    before being allowed off the plane over the last 50 years, and all
    those insufferable census forms.

Would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my mother's
    name is Mary Anne, my father's name is Robert and I'd be absolutely ****ing astounded if that ever changed between now and when I die!!!!!!

I apologise, because I'm really pissed off this morning. Between you an' me, I've had enough of this ****! You send back the application form to my house, then you ask me for my ****ing address!!!!

What the **** is going on? Do you have a bunch of neanderthal arseholes working there? Look at my ****ing picture. Do I look like Bin Laden? I just want to go and park my arse on some nice sandy beach somewhere and would someone please tell me, why would you give a **** whether I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days?
    Well, I have to sign off now, because I have to go to the other end of the ****ing country to get another ****ing copy of my birth certificate, to the
    tune of €30. Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the
    same spot to assist in the issuance of a new passport the same day??
    Nooooooooooooo, that'd be too ****ing easy and maybe make sense. You'd rather have us running all over the ****in' place like chickens with our heads cut off, then have to find some arsehole to confirm that it's really me on the damn picture - you know, the one where we're not
    allowed to smile?! (bureaucratic ****in' morons) Hey, do you know why
    we couldn't smile if we wanted to? Because we're totally hacked off!

Signed

An Irate Citizen.

P.S. Remember what I said above about the picture and getting someone to confirm that it's me? Well, my family has been in this country since 1776 .......... I have served in the military for something over 30 years and have had full security clearances over 25 of those years enabling me to undertake highly secretive work all over the world and the here in Ireland
    ......... However, I have to get someone 'important' to verify who I am
    - you know, someone like my doctor - WHO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN ****ING PAKISTAN !

Not true of all cases and passports.

There are no exceptions listed on the website for any category of adult.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    John Murphy
    Mullingar
    Co. Westmeath

This, apparently is an actual letter received by the Irish Passport
    Office.

It's not. Versions of that have been circulating for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yeah, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's not. Versions of that have been circulating for years.
    Still a quality rant though.

There are no exceptions listed on the website for any category of adult.

https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenship/top-passport-questions/how-to-get-your-application-witnessed/

As you go through the process it says

If your passport is expired for more than 5 years, you cannot apply online.

The passport book number must have 2 letters followed by 7 numbers. The first letter must be 'P' or 'L'. For example 'PT' or 'LB'. Older passports with one letter cannot be used “

So people need to transition to a Pn or Ln if they don’t have one. I’ve had to do that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Chartered engineer? thats a new one for me

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Speech Therapist?
    I'm retired, but my former job is on that list.
    It is a crazy list. Did they have a session in a government department asking people to shout out the first job that comes into your head?

They are all jobs that have some kind of registration process, giving an independent list that can be checked against.

Anyone can call themselves an engineer, it's not a restricted title. But chartered engineer is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

They are all jobs that have some kind of registration process, giving an independent list that can be checked against.

Anyone can call themselves an engineer, it's not a restricted title. But chartered engineer is.

So why aren't undertakers, pilots, estate agents, HGV drivers, tennis coaches, swimming instructors on the list?

Needed an emergency passport living in London, went to multiple post offices to try and get a witness after losing my passport a week before my flight(my own fault of course) one of the most stressful days of my life.

Most of them wouldn't stamp an Irish passport form, finally managed to get one from an office in the local area. Totally outdated list imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

The local Garda station would not witness when I was getting the kids passport renewed a few weeks ago as we were not known to them.

The crèche manager did but told us it’s a bit hit and miss as sometimes the pp office don’t accept her, sometimes they do, despite her occupation listed.

On the other side of the coin though, the online renewal for an adults passport is a pleasure... so easy and quick.

• Advertisement

Kalico92 wrote: »
    Needed an emergency passport living in London, went to multiple post offices to try and get a witness after losing my passport a week before my flight(my own fault of course) one of the most stressful days of my life.

Most of them wouldn't stamp an Irish passport form, finally managed to get one from an office in the local area. Totally outdated list imo

What would you take away and what would you add?

Advertisement