Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Matched on more than one ancestral couple? I.E. the 100Cm is combined from 2 sources.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

montgo wrote: »
    Hi,
    I match with a lady from with nearly 100cMs and we have yet to figure out how we connect. I have a 48cMs segment match with her on Ch2. I have lots of shared matches with her on Gedmatch and MyHeritage. Most of the shared matches triangulate on Ch2. I have contacted some of them but most have no known Irish ancestors. According to my 100cMs match, her only Irish ancestor was already in the US by late 1700s. The strong match would appear to rule out a match with an ancestor of over 250 yrs ago but maybe not? Or could she have another Irish ancestor that she doesn't know about, NPE or could it be a false match? Any ideas?

Is that a total cm shared of is it the longest cms?
    I would really doubt at that high of cms that it would be a false match. I share a total of 75 cms with a woman on FTDNA and the link is her 2x G,Grandad was my 2x G,Grandads brother. I also share 135cms with a guy on Ancestry and the link is his G,Grandad was my Grannys brother. So all in all with your total cms being so high the connection IMO should be fairly easy to establish If all ancestors are known.
    Here is a guide that I regularly go to to get a rough estimate of where DNA matches and myself could be connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

montgo wrote: »
    Thanks Mez,

Yes. total is 98cMs on both MyHeritage & Gedmatch with longest segment of 48cMs. I have referred to that chart before so should be between 3rd & 4th cousin. As Pinky suggests, the match could be from more than one family line.

I have a match with a total of 131cms on 7 segments with largest being 32cms, we can't trace the ancestor but his 2nd great grandmother born c. 1800 has the same surname as my 2nd great grandfather and is from the same county. She could be his sister I suppose but it is still a large CM sharing so maybe yours does stretch back to late 1700s

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

dubhthach wrote: »
    Indeed, back when this DNA marlarky started in early 2000 the Orkney Islands were a favoured location for population sampling. This was based on idea of:
    • Small island group, history of minimum population input (lets not mention Scapa Flow, or Oil!)
    • As islands off Britain, they were thought to be good approx for a 'indigenous british' sample

the problem with last idea of course is it completely ignores the history of Orkney eg. that it was part of Kingdom of Norway until the 15th century and that a Old-Norse derived language (Norn) was spoken there as late as the 18th century.

Do you reckon that breeding between them and Ulster-Scots may have brought about the origin of the term Norn-Iron? :P

I'll get me coat...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

You’re really testing our mettle!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tombom1

Say if I were to get Ftdnas Y dna y-111 test is there much difference in me taking the test compared to my grandfather in his 90s?

Also it's 219 $ right now,it was 219 aswell last year for Thanksgiving,but would I have to wait another year to get this offer or has the price dropped down to this before during the year?
    Today is the last day for the offer but it's a fair bit of money to me,so I'm just wondering.
    Also does anyone have any idea how much shipping costs aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Tombom1 wrote: »
    Say if I were to get Ftdnas Y dna y-111 test is there much difference in me taking the test compared to my grandfather in his 90s?

Also it's 219 $ right now,it was 219 aswell last year for Thanksgiving,but would I have to wait another year to get this offer or has the price dropped down to this before during the year?
    Today is the last day for the offer but it's a fair bit of money to me,so I'm just wondering.
    Also does anyone have any idea how much shipping costs aswell?

Considering your grandfather is 90, I’d be getting it now

OU812 wrote: »
    Considering your grandfather is 90, I’d be getting it now

Well he's 92 but even his grandfather who lived through the famine lived to his 90s and his father to 97.I plan on getting him a autosomal DNA test and his older sister (95),but I don't want to scare him ,getting him all these tests!

The question I'm asking is,is it really necessary for him to do a ydna compared to me as the y chromosome doesn't really change ?would I be able to go further back?how far exactly I'm new to DNA tests.

If he's willing to take it, you should take that opportunity. It's always best to test the oldest person or generation possible. You'd be kicking yourself in a couple of years if you didn't test him and then he dies. Get him tested and then you can test yourself at a later date, as they regularly have special offers for holidays.

There's nothing to be scared of, really. The test is merely a stick like a cotton bud with a polyester type surface and that's rubbed around the inside of the mouth for a minute to hold as much saliva/DNA as possible. It's not threatening or invasive in any way.

• Advertisement

Y DNA won't change that much.

I think it'd be more valuable to get your grandfather's autosomal DNA as he will have matches further back than you. With FTDNA, they keep the sample, so you can always add the Y later.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    With FTDNA, they keep the sample, so you can always add the Y later.

That's a good thing to know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

If you wish to add further tests to your FTDNA profile, you can take advantage of the offer prices without having to pay added postage costs.

Well he's 92 but even his grandfather who lived through the famine lived to his 90s and his father to 97.I plan on getting him a autosomal DNA test and his older sister (95),but I don't want to scare him ,getting him all these tests!

The question I'm asking is,is it really necessary for him to do a ydna compared to me as the y chromosome doesn't really change ?would I be able to go further back?how far exactly I'm new to DNA tests.

I don’t think there’s anybadvantage to get his sister tested. Maybe getting another relative from the other side of the family, that way you may be able to identify what side of your family matches are based upon which relative they match.

Ipso wrote: »
    I don’t think there’s anybadvantage to get his sister tested. Maybe getting another relative from the other side of the family, that way you may be able to identify what side of your family matches are based upon which relative they match.

So you mean test one of his first cousins from his mother's side of the family or first cousin once removed if possible?

Good idea ,but I don't know how I would approach them about doing a DNA test,as I don't really know them.
    Have you gone about this before ? How did you do it?

Edit: from researching about DNA testing, I was told it was best to get more than one person to get a autDna test as the further back you go the less likely they carry DNA that relates them to a distant relative, but your chances increase as both their inherited DNA is different and likely one of them has still DNA that can match them to a distant relative.
    For example a 4-5 time great grandfather being the last shared relative.
    Am I right or is it worth the money for the small difference?

Also time isn't really on my side as my grandaunt
    Isn't the healthiest right now.

At that age, I would consider getting both siblings tested for autosomal and then approach the more distant ones later. Each one will have a different 50% DNA from each parents so their matches won't be the same at the more distant levels.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I am going to buy two DNA kits on ancestry ,if I buy another one on Ftdna would it be any good in going further back when comparing the two brother and sister for cM against a say distant relative?
    I heard ancestry do 700,000 markers how many do Ftdna ?

It would save me 20 euro :) haha

Also I would have access to Ftdna without transfer fees and would get their tools ,but my main concern is going the furthest back.

I don't really understand what you mean.

Ancestry has the biggest database but I'm not aware of their test being better than FTDNA's. Indeed, the lack of a chromosome browser is a serious downside for Ancestry.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

You can always transfer results from AncestryDNA to FTDNA.

see: https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/imports/transfer-autosomal-ancestry/family-tree-dna-family-finder-transfer-program/

The advantage of this is that you can test in say 23andme or Ancestry (Ancestry would have bigger database) and then transfer results to FTDNA. The cost is less then sending a second sample to FTDNA. In which case you end up in two seperate databases.

Of course if you want to then add additional tests in FTDNA (say Y-DNA testing in event sample is male) they will have to send out new sample tubes to collect a DNA sample to run tests on.

Generally both Ancestry and FTDNA's autosomal test products are fairly comparable when it comes to the SNP's the cover on the autosomal part of your genome (the 44 recombing chromosomes which aren't sex-linked)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I thought one of FTDNA's many plusses was that you didn't need to send another sample to get an additional test on an already tested person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

spurious wrote: »
    I thought one of FTDNA's many plusses was that you didn't need to send another sample to get an additional test on an already tested person?

That's the case if they already have your sample at FTDNA. However, if it's an autosomal transfer from another company, they won't have your sample to do further tests on. A sample needs to be submitted for further testing if they don't already have your sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

but my main concern is going the furthest back.

Since that is your goal, getting tested by FTDNA should be considered. Since summer 2016 the kits the two companies use have not been the same. This means that if you upload your Ancestry results to FTDNA, you'll only see about 20% of the matches compared with people who have tested directly with FTDNA. Along with the availability of a chromosome browser and other tools, these extra matches could hold the key to solving mysteries. This link explains it better than I can: https://dna-explained.com/2017/12/04/testing-strategy-should-i-test-at-ancestry-and-transfer-to-family-tree-dna/

You can pay to unlock the full list of matches. FWIW, I transferred someone there and he still has a couple of thousand matches without paying to unlock.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You can pay to unlock the full list of matches. FWIW, I transferred someone there and he still has a couple of thousand matches without paying to unlock.

That used to be their business model but they changed it. Now everyone gets a full list of matches but needs to pay to use the tools.

My family tested with Ancestry after their kits changed in 2016. They also tested with FamilyTreeDNA. With their FTDNA tests they've got about 3000 matches. When I transfered in their Ancestry results to FTDNA as an experiment, they only got about 300-500 matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

dubhthach wrote: »

I'd like to share my success story about this. I had been searching records on and off for a couple of years trying to discover my Great-Grandfather's Swedish roots, he was a sailor who arrived in Dublin in the 1870's and stayed and married my Great-Grandmother who was from the docks area of Dublin.
    I hit a wall regarding written records about him and decided to do an AncestryDNA test, I then transferred the results to FTDNA and within a day I was in touch with distant cousins from Sweden through the FTDNA site. Not only was I able to find details of my Swedish Great-Grandfather, including birth date, birth place etc. but also details of his (and my) family going back to the 1600's thanks to my cousins detailed family trees on FTDNA.
    I was overwhelmed to discover this information and I'm now planning to visit his birthplace soon and perhaps meet up with my Swedish cousins. A big thumbs up for DNA testing and results.:):):)

I have a good few distant relatives at FTDNA from Sweden, there’s no known history in my background. They all have trees going way back with no other ancestry and i contacted a couple of them and they don’t know of any Irish ancestry or ancestry outside of Sweden.

Delighted to read that success story, Vektarman. For it to yield results so quick is really wonderful.

May I ask, was there more than one match from Sweden, and what range of cM was there? 3rd-5th cousins or 5th to remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

DamoRed wrote: »
    Delighted to read that success story, Vektarman. For it to yield results so quick is really wonderful.

May I ask, was there more than one match from Sweden, and what range of cM was there? 3rd-5th cousins or 5th to remote?

I found two Swedish matches in the first four overall matches, the first one was a 2nd to 4th cousin with 89 cMs and the other was a 3rd to 5th cousin with 66 cMs, they both had their own separate but linked family trees, the common link between the three of us went back five generations ago, to a small townland where our ancestors were from, a place called Misterhult in Småland.

Fantastic success - and very satisfying.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Ancestry just updated its DNA results again. They added more regions, with a total of 92 for Ireland. My ethnicity remained the same as the last update--89% Ireland-Scotland, 11% England-Wales-NW Europe--but I now have four regions I didn't have before, all in Munster. On the other hand, my numerous ancestors from Westmeath & Meath and Co Antrim are not mentioned. Two versions ago, I was 13% Iberian--I have a gt grandfather from Asturias in northern Spain--but that vanished with the last version and this one. Confusing.

Anyway, thanks to the good folks of Munster for taking the Ancestry DNA test and narrowing my results. Did anyone else get this update?

Advertisement