Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has anyone here done the AncestryDNA test?

• 04-06-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

I, and a couple of other family members (mother and brother), am considering doing the AncestryDNA test offered by ancestry.com. We have come across two potential fourth cousins online. My great-great-grandfather and their great-great-grandfathers may have been brothers - one brother (Walter) stayed in Ireland and two others Michael and Thomas emigrated to Pittsburgh PA. We think the DNA test may be helpful in establishing if we are indeed related. These potential fourth cousins (one descended from Michael, the other from Thomas) have both done the AncestryDNA test. So that's why we are also considering that one over 23andMe or FTDNA.

The question is how best to order the test kit. The AncestryDNA kit is £99 + £20 postage (total abt €163) through the UK site. This is more than twice the cost in the US where it's now available for $79 (abt €72) on the US site (using code freeshipdna for free shipping):
    https://secure.ancestry.com/Store/Purchase?offerId=O-23476

Of course the US kit would have to be ordered to an US address and forwarded to me here. Wondering if the two kits are identical. Are all samples processed at the same lab? Would the included pre-addressed, postage-paid box cover postage from Ireland/UK? or would there be a problem with sending a saliva sample?

Would love to hear other's experience of using this test and whether you ordered test kit from UK or US.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Newstreet

I used www.familytreedna.com and had some small success with them. Ancestry DNA seems to be very centred on the US only, whereas FTDNA have applicants from all over. Have a look at the FTDNA website for info and prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

Newstreet wrote: »
    I used www.familytreedna.com and had some small success with them. Ancestry DNA seems to be very centred on the US only, whereas FTDNA have applicants from all over. Have a look at the FTDNA website for info and prices.
    Thanks. I do see that AncestryDNA is very US-centric, but for my main purpose where the two potential relatives are US-born, it might work alright.

This article Cost-Effective Autosomal DNA Options for UK Residents points out that if you test with Ancestry, you can then upload your results to GEDmatch where you may find additional matches and avail of their more sophisticated tools to look at the data. You can also upload free to FT-DNA free (or unlock more info by paying $39).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've used FTDNA as well and it has a lot of Irish people. I second the thoughts about Ancestry being too US-centric at this point. That said, any of the companies (23andme being the third biggie) will be able to take your sample and the potential cousins and confirm or not that you're related.

Gedmatch can take uploads from all 3 sites.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭aine1980

I've used the Ancestry DNA test & found it to be great - results were back quicker that I'd expected and the ethnicity was an interesting read, more importantly it's opened up further avenues for potential matches which is the main reason I did it. It's been a great source for me for kick starting my research on one particular side of the family where there was little or no information.

Haven't had experience with any of the others so can't comment on them but from my experience I'd recommend Ancestry.

aine1980 wrote: »
    I've used the Ancestry DNA test & found it to be great - results were back quicker that I'd expected and the ethnicity was an interesting read, more importantly it's opened up further avenues for potential matches which is the main reason I did it. It's been a great source for me for kick starting my research on one particular side of the family where there was little or no information.

Haven't had experience with any of the others so can't comment on them but from my experience I'd recommend Ancestry.
    Hi aine1980, did you buy the AncestryDNA test kit from the UK or from the US?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

leck wrote: »
    Hi aine1980, did you buy the AncestryDNA test kit from the UK or from the US?

I got it from the UK prepaid return label for Ireland which is why I didn't go with the US one - figured it would only have prepaid return for shipping within US

aine1980 wrote: »
    I got it from the UK prepaid return label for Ireland which is why I didn't go with the US one - figured it would only have prepaid return for shipping within US
    You are right. I rang Ancestry today to check that - they said kits ordered in Ireland come from the UK and are returned to an Ancestry location in UK and then they send them onto the US.

Earlier today, I ordered three kits from the US using a US credit card. I used a friend's address for shipping (actually it's just someone on a Facebook genealogy page that offered to do it for me) and she will forward them to me, hopefully they will all fit in a small box. I will then have to return them to her and she will post them back to Utah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

What do the results tell you?

Will it say im descended from vikings or something vague like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What do the results tell you?

Will it say im descended from vikings or something vague like that?

Most likely, I think they also show how your overall genetic profile matches various populations, such as do you match most Irish people (or at last those in their reference population).
    Anything exotic beyond 10 generation or so is most likely bred out v

• Advertisement

It shows an ethnicity estimate - mine was 97% Ireland and the other 3% made up from England, Western Russia and Spain/Iberia, also gives you potential DNA matches and an estimate of how closely related you are.

For example it listed an Uncle and cousins also potential 3rd, 4-6th cousins etc. For me there was about 57 in total the day I got my results but it's always being updated as more information comes in.

It's only been a week, maybe two but it's been a great source of information for me.

Advertisement