Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Research Facilitiy Roscommon

• 08-10-2018 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

I am planning to visit the reasearch facility at GRO Roscommon.
    Am i able to view all records after 1922 there? Or how does it work. Up to what year can i look at the records?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I don't believe there is a public research facility in Roscommon. I'd phone first.

The research room in Dublin has records right up to date but after 1995, they look it up on a computer and give you the record you want. Pre-1995 you search index books.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Cyrus T Buford

Are there coppies of these indexes (1922-1995) available to look at anywhere else, besides the reasearch cenre in Dublin GRO?
    Does anyone know if there is a facility available in Cork City or County for example?

Indexes of all bmds to 1958 are on familysearch, Ancestry and Findmypast. Irishgenealogy has death records only to 1966.

Not aware of any other public set of book indexes than Dublin.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

ok, so i have booked a train ticket for next week heading to the GRO Research room in Dublin.
    It will be my first time so i just have a few general queries.

I will be doing searches for recent years i.e between 1950 and 1995

1) Do the birth index books from about 1927 to 1995 include mothers maiden name?
    2)How are the marriage indexes presented? Does it say who married who in the index book?
    3)For 20Euro, can i stay in the research room from 9am to 4:30pm with access to all records?

Thanks !

A lot of this info is on their website, which you would be well served to visit before coming to Dublin.

Mothers' maiden is in the index from late 1920s onwards.
    You should look each person in the couple to cross reference the surnames - the references will match if the same names appear on the same page.

The €20 only covers searches - you can have a max 8 certs at a cost of €4 each on top of that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

OP, I don't know where you are or what area you're researching but in the Registrar's Office in Adelaide Court in Cork there is a facility to spend a day researching the books for the city and county of Cork. These are the original books that have the full certs, not just indexes. It's quite a few years since I've been there but I think it was in the region of €20 for the day searching. Ring for an appointment if that's of any use to you.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    OP, I don't know where you are or what area you're researching but in the Registrar's Office in Adelaide Court in Cork there is a facility to spend a day researching the books for the city and county of Cork. These are the original books that have the full certs, not just indexes. It's quite a few years since I've been there but I think it was in the region of €20 for the day searching. Ring for an appointment if that's of any use to you.

Thanks very much. I am indeed in and reaswarching county cork so this could be very useful to me. I will definitly check it out. Cheers for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

AFAIK that service is no longer available in Adelaide Street. It's gone for the past 3 or 4 years. Unless it's been reinstated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Oops, sorry didn't realise it had been stopped. Was a great facility.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Oops, sorry didn't realise it had been stopped. Was a great facility.

No worries wyldwood!

It was worth a try. I gave a quick call today and they no longer provide this service ( data protection being the main factor!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Data protection? But they're public record???

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, they probably got around it by saying it's available in the reading room only. I've heard anecdotal evidence of people using local offices for genealogy but there's just the one official public reading room.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement