Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy second Hand Olympic weights

• 24-10-2008 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone knew where the best place was to pick up some secondhand Olympic weight sets or plates.

Any gyms closing down selling off stock or anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Keep an eye on adverts.ie and buyandsell.ie , they come up every so often.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Olympic weights don't devalue a great pile, unless it's someone who's giving up weight lifting you're unlikely to save a great deal. Laminated weights devalue much more, but gym's don't use them, and second hand ones may be in bits.

Why is it important that their second hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Pugsley wrote: »
    Olympic weights don't devalue a great pile, unless it's someone who's giving up weight lifting you're unlikely to save a great deal. Laminated weights devalue much more, but gym's don't use them, and second hand ones may be in bits.

Why is it important that their second hand?

To be honest. I am broke and they start at 285. I seen a set of 140kg go for 90 euro on adverts but i missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

You can get cast iron ones from Argos, not sure what they are in euro, but up North they typically cost about £1/kg, which is fairly cheap for cast iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I reckon it would be far more likely to find people selling standard iron plates. I know loads of lads who got weight sets at one stage and never really used them, must be loads out there. But most start out buying standard plates, so the people who did get olympics are probably in it for the long haul, and not as likely to be selling.

but then some might be getting better olympic ones. You could email/phone around gyms to see. A guy called Mickk is a user here, he owns irish-lifting.com and owns a gym, maybe ask him. I got 2 used 20kg standard plates from his gym for a good price a good while back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement