Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting trait of Irish people

13»

Comments

miss.paula wrote: »
    Stay in Ireland and starve in misery, or join the British army and get food/paid

What did I say that was wrong? Uncomfortable maybe, but not wrong.

The reason the Irish joined the British army is the same reason Jock from Scotland joined, Taffy from Wales, and Jaime from Northern England, money and a bit of adventure away from very boring, largely subsistence lives.

Yep, as i guessed, Anglo Irish apologist

So you're simply going to ignore and throw childish comments. I could be the 3rd Earl of snooty Castle and as its an anonymous forum I could simply lie.

Instead of trying to come up with a reason for what I'm saying debate the content. Unless you can't and need to hide behind childish insults.

More proof that i hit the nail on the head.

As much as I'd love to engage with an intellect as obvious as yours I doubt you'll be here a long time under this username.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Is there an arguement here for some Cake?

21/25

uch wrote: »
    Is there an arguement here for some Cake?
    Only for afternoon tea, and only with pinkie up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You can stick yer pinkie where you like once we can have Cake

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

Does this mean all Belgians are action movie stars?

Van damme

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So you're simply going to ignore and throw childish comments. I could be the 3rd Earl of snooty Castle and as its an anonymous forum I could simply lie.

Instead of trying to come up with a reason for what I'm saying debate the content. Unless you can't and need to hide behind childish insults.

You're dealing with the kind of people who couldn't imagine Irish men joining the likes of the Connaught Rangers, Dublin Fusiliers, Munster Fusiliers for any reason other than being a stock nationalist bogeyman; West Brit, traitor, whatever you want to call it.

People still have fingers plugging their ears going la la la over the Civil War. The next set of centenaries are going to make for some uncomfortable reading. Such folks can only understand the White hat/Black hat narrative of a cowboy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Good to see pinkie (pinky) being used here along with afternoon tea. Good old British English word, not an "Americanism" as was claimed on another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

bassy wrote: »
    Van damme

That was the joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭mulbot

A determined ability to only marry those from within their own town lands. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Surely upper middle. I am firmly middle class and from a working class background and I know nobody who owns a horse, or has risen one. I know people who have ridden camels though. That was me, on a trip to Arabia. Wouldn't recommend. Horrible animals.

If you mean interest in the horses as in popping down to the bookies, then there is that.

Depends where you are from in Ireland, horses would be kept by members of all sections of society in Donegal, same for dogs, the further south you go the more class barriers seem to appear or " notions of bigness" as we would call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

I think you're talking about a time when education was elitist.

If you cannot think of many Irish people of varied backgrounds that have had a global impact in the OPs categories you're highly unlikely to be a candidate yourself.

Most Irish with a global impact were of Protestant background. That's fact.

:rolleyes:
    vriesmays wrote: »
    Most Irish with a global impact were of Protestant background. That's fact.

Shur, gwan... the floor is yours. Name them.

As I said, the ones you'll mention came from a time when education was for the wealthy, which was largely the protesrant landed class. But, do please name these people that were a product of Irish culture, these Irish people.

And if you feel the need to identify those by hair colour or those that were left handed fire away.

And should we claim the likes of Conan Doyle, just because of religion. :rollseyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,323 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If animal ownership is a trait, then we are more into cattle and sheep than horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

:rolleyes:

Shur, gwan... the floor is yours. Name them.
    Bram Stoker
    Samuel Beckett
    George Bernard Shaw
    Jonathan Swift
    Iris Murdoch
    WB Yeats

You're welcome.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Bram Stoker
    Samuel Beckett
    George Bernard Shaw
    Jonathan Swift
    Iris Murdoch
    WB Yeats

You're welcome.
    Are you related to Iris Murdoch?

James Joyce
    Seamus Heaney
    Maeve Binchy
    Roddy Doyle
    John Connolly
    John Banville
    Eoin Colfer

Maybe a bit modern for your taste, but renowned authors.

However, the authors you mentioned were of Ireland and considered themselves Irish.

BTW, can't believe you left out Oscar, hence I named seven.

To add, Vriesmays, its not surprising Ireland has such a strong artistic heritage. In Chieftain times the 'bard' was as noble a profession as that of clergy or lawyer. So, yeah, its been there for centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,430 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To add, Vriesmays, its not surprising Ireland has such a strong artistic heritage. In Chieftain times the 'bard' was as noble a profession as that of clergy or lawyer. So, yeah, its been there for centuries.

And let’s not forget the noble braigetoír.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

And let’s not forget the noble braigetoír.

Indeed they eventually evolved to give us James Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I thought we were supposed to be drunk begrudgers who live in thatched cottages and wear leprachaun outfits and listen to tweedly deedly bejaysus begorrah music all day.

Advertisement