Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

People here have some really odd perceptions of what "class" consists of in Ireland. The vast majority of people in Ireland from the last 40-50 years would be considered to be Middle class, in terms of educational standards and income potential, not to mention social mobility. Most people who talk about being working class, wouldn't have been considered such, 50 years ago... We've had too much of a shift in economics and social mobility since Ireland stopped being a poor country.

For most middle class, there's little difference between them and working class... except at the extreme ends.. the rich/poor.
    I disagree.

My dad would DEFINITELY have been considered working class 50 yrs ago.

I would not be considered that now. Prob just boring middle class.

I don't know how you think the vast majority of people in Ireland are middle class.

I am not saying class defines you etc. It doesn't.

But its a thing.

Maybe its just you dont know any other people outside of that class?

For example ..all of my cousins bar 2 ...would still be working class. That is 10 other cousins

I have dear friends who would call themselves working class ..and would be ..and middle class friends.

No wealthy or upper class friends tho. I must be Riff Raff :P

I don't know how you think the vast majority of people in Ireland are middle class.

Because the economy and social strata has changed so much. We've moved away from a predominately agrarian society, with light manufacturing... to a services and technology based economy with light infrastructure.

There isn't a particular underclass anymore, because the requirements to gain education have dropped considerably, and people (except for certain small groups) aren't limited to staying where they are. We have laws against discrimination and many cases of grants/funds available to help people to gain a leg up.

Even when we consider the range of traditional working class roles, many of the people doing such roles will now be educated at university level or specialized school systems. I said this in another thread, but three of the "construction workers" who worked on building my sisters house, have multiple degrees with associated certs and diplomas, and actually make more money, than we do. We, being middle class, and they, apparently, being working class.

The divide is greater in certain parts of the cities like Dublin, or Cork, but even there, genuine working class populations are in decline, as people become more educated, and have the opportunities of entering other fields of work, or simply their own field has become more technical over time. Now, many people might call themselves "working class" but... nah.. they're essentially middle class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

This is what I mean about different classes..

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/pRZeYHM1GzQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

CountNjord wrote: »
    This is what I mean about different classes..

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/pRZeYHM1GzQ

I have to somehow get it together for a Teams meeting at 3, that is the funniest man ever!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭CountNjord

I disagree.

My dad would DEFINITELY have been considered working class 50 yrs ago.

I would not be considered that now. Prob just boring middle class.

I am not saying class defines you etc. It doesn't.

But its a thing.

Maybe its just you dont know any other people outside of that class?

For example ..all of my cousins bar 2 ...would still be working class. That is 10 other cousins

I have dear friends who would call themselves working class ..and would be ..and middle class friends.

No wealthy or upper class friends tho. I must be Riff Raff :P

We've all different versions of class, you could have a guy or woman living in an old humble farmhouse house and he or she works with horses down the road feeding them running them in and cleaning stables and drive's a 2002 vw golf , then you've a guy or woman who lives in a detached house in an estate in suburbia driving an 7 series BMW earning three times the salary of the horsy person and probably has 97 cent left on a Monday after the weekend.
    Basically he or she is a slave to the system.

While the person who is cleaning horse **** has 300 Euro to play around on a Monday go figure who's classy...

Definitely not the person who's driving the fancy car...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Can you explain?

How would they monetize it?

Transhumanism offers a new market for medical, technological and biological enhancements. We have outsourced memory to Google, without much reservation, so essentially the process has already begun.

By ' hijacking ' Transsexuality and making it a mainstream issue ( well beyond what you would expect for such a small portion of the population ), the theory goes that this will engineer wider acceptance of people who want to modify themselves with transhumanist tools such as CRISPR. Elon Musk's neuralink, etc, etc... and their future iterations.

Transhumanism is a corporate opportunity but it is also the Woke ideologies logical endgame. I'm not sure that Wokies realize this. So far they appear to have no issue sacrificing their humanity for ideology - something which cults have always demanded of their adherents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I see they're attempting to cancel Sia for not casting an autistic actor for an autistic character in her new movie.

Her "maybe you're just not a good actor" response was probably a bit too much on the nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

razorblunt wrote: »
    I see they're attempting to cancel Sia for not casting an autistic actor for an autistic character in her new movie.

Her "maybe you're just not a good actor" response was probably a bit too much on the nose.

Do they want to end acting ????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

joeguevara wrote: »
    Agreed. Movies on planes are edited to remove certain things like bad language, violence, s3x scenes etc. Certainly not censored. Or panel shows will bleep out bad language. Anyone who starts raising things like censorship is more of an issue than a radio station dubbing a word. Censorship debate should be reserved for when it is impacting lives, silencing minorities, disguising hate etc. This song, while a classic and a piece of genius is just a song. Shane wrote it to win a bet, not as an instrument to change humanity. A case of being offended for the sake of it and a case of the bbc cashing in on that.

censor
    /ˈsɛnsə/
    verb
    past tense: censored; past participle: censored
    examine (a book, film, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Donald Trump Junior tests positive for corona virus.

Yahoo news goes full woke and refers to his father, the current POTUS as "Former reality TV show host".

Once you have been president in US you have the title for life. Obama is still addressed "Mr president"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/former-reality-tv-show-hosts-235700655.html

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

biko wrote: »

Yahoo news goes full woke and refers to his father, the current POTUS as "Former reality TV show host".

Once you have been president in US you have the title for life. Obama is still addressed "Mr president"

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/former-reality-tv-show-hosts-235700655.html

image.jpg

I think Boards has gone full "everything is woke". Can people here not learn a new word?

Looks more like they're taking the piss out of his bizarre insistence that he didn't lose the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

.anon. wrote: »
    I think Boards has gone full "everything is woke". Can people here not learn a new word?

Or, at least, contain it in the “Current Affairs” forum.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

biko wrote: »

They're clearly taking the piss outa the orange muppet. Meh.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Or, at least, contain it in the “Current Affairs” forum.

Need a 'woke' forum, where they can just keep typing the word 'woke' all the time.

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh they're not being nice about Trump, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Talk about snowflakes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh they're not being nice about Trump, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. Talk about snowflakes.
    When that gobsh1te got elected you had plenty of examples of grown adults having meltdowns like spoiled kids who ate too many red Smarties. It's the preponderance of "snowflakes" that's the problem, because they're all over the place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wibbs wrote: »
    When that gobsh1te got elected you had plenty of examples of grown adults having meltdowns like spoiled kids who ate too many red Smarties. It's the preponderance of "snowflakes" that's the problem, because they're all over the place.

Relax - there'll be less once global warming kicks in.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Climate change. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hello nurse was, you know, goodbye nurse. Because I mean, you know what I mean....

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1329499688366526466
    Skip to about 3 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

If it wasn't for Wokies, there would be no Trump.

Must be a terrible thing to come to terms with...

• Advertisement

'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.'

Biker79 wrote: »

Twitter is going to be a very dull place in a few weeks!

Biker79 wrote: »

Actually B, more and more I have come to not believe that, or that it is too easy an answer which is attractive to the "PC's gone mad!!" people. Yes it might have been a factor, but IMHO bigger factors were the deep divisions in US society that have lasted for a long long time that come to the fore every so often, Clinton not being enough of a draw, with a large side order of celeb attraction and razzmatazz(he's a famous "billionaire" y'know), boorishness mistake for honesty and "maybe something different might be a good thing?" Oh wait... And support of one party. After all Americans either vote for one or the other pretty consistently and close to 50/50*.

After all 90% of this "woke" stuff and the "right" stuff is online and in media. Certainly in Ireland the vast majority are very centrist with a mix of right and left, usually in the same person and in American terms very much left.

*the electoral college nonsense notwithstanding.

The British Library has added the poet Ted Hughes to a dossier on links to slavery and colonialism based on the actions of an ancestor more than 300 years before his birth.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/21/british-library-adds-poet-ted-hughes-slavery-dossier-ancestor/
    Despite the poet having humble origins, curators from the Library's Printed Heritage Collections team have identified Hughes as part of research to find evidence of “connections to slavery, profits from slavery or from colonialism” among the former owners of items.

The offending relative is Nicholas Ferrar, born in 1592, whose family was "deeply involved" with the London Virginia Company set up to establish colonies in North America, the research says. But his descendant Hughes was not born until 1930,...

The British Library has also identified Lord Byron, Oscar Wilde and George Orwell in their research – all through far-removed relatives – as part of a bid to become an “actively anti-racist organisation” in the wake of the Black Lives Matter movement

Actually B, more and more I have come to not believe that, or that it is too easy an answer which is attractive to the "PC's gone mad!!" people. Yes it might have been a factor, but IMHO bigger factors were the deep divisions in US society that have lasted for a long long time that come to the fore every so often, Clinton not being enough of a draw, with a large side order of celeb attraction and razzmatazz(he's a famous "billionaire" y'know), boorishness mistake for honesty and "maybe something different might be a good thing?" Oh wait... And support of one party. After all Americans either vote for one or the other pretty consistently and close to 50/50*.

I think people have forgotten what George W Bush was like... his being elected lowered the bar on presidents so much that I couldn't be surprised by any type of candidate thereafter. Trump was bad... really bad... but GWB? Good lord... people have short memories. Americans are far too much in love with drama, and going to the extremes... it was inevitable that someone like Trump would get in... and I'm fully expecting someone similar again within a decade or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Climate change. :D

Climate crisis :pac:

miss.paula wrote: »
    See the Twitter outrage over Mandolorian breast armour.
    These Twitter halfwits took offence at something that is standard in armour design since the middle ages
    Not being much of a nerd I'm at a loss here, though I do watch the series, so what follows is assumption on my part...

Was the "outrage" over armour for women having moulded breasts thereby sexing it up? If so, while I wouldn't be "outraged" that would not be standard in plate armour design of the medieval. For a start vanishingly few women would have worn plate armour back then. For obvious reasons fighting tended to be an almost exclusively male pursuit and women wearing a full harness even more so. That was the remit of the wealthy and wealthy women would have avoided such things, simply because they could.

If they did wear armour it would have been a copy of male armour scaled down. Shaping breasts onto armour would make it less protective and more dangerous. Never mind that the plate part is the outer layer of many. The first next to the skin would be a thick tightly packed undergarment, then chain mail, then the plate armour on top. Unless a woman had the full Dolly Parton going on(hardly the physique for fighting) her breasts would be flattened by those first two layers alone.

TL;DR? Plate armour for women wouldn't have had tits and certainly wouldn't be a glorified bikini made of metal so popular in fantasy TV and films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

I think people have forgotten what George W Bush was like... his being elected lowered the bar on presidents so much that I couldn't be surprised by any type of candidate thereafter. Trump was bad... really bad... but GWB? Good lord... people have short memories. Americans are far too much in love with drama, and going to the extremes... it was inevitable that someone like Trump would get in... and I'm fully expecting someone similar again within a decade or so.
    Yep, I gave up on em the Bush re election.

TL;DR? Plate armour for women wouldn't have had tits and certainly wouldn't be a glorified bikini made of metal so popular in fantasy TV and films.

It depends on the era. If you look at Roman Armour for men, the shape of the chest was often stylized on the breastplate, both in metal, and in leather . The same would have been seen in many other cultures, however, the armor wasn't shaped around the body, because any space would have been intended for undergarments to soak up the blunt trauma of being hit. (However, when you look at Greek period Armour, often the armour would have been shaped around a body type because the metal was thinner, and more intended for glancing/deflecting blows received rather than fully resisting a thrust.. the belief being that a person would dance around hits rather than simply take the damage)

I have seen designs of ceremonial armour for both men and women which showed a particular body shape, but it's terribly impractical. Having muscles, or breasts on the armour would simply provide a blade with a place to guide/focus it's momentum, which wouldn't have been desired.

The simple fact is that very few women ever engaged in combat, and had no need for such armour. When they did, they would have used male armour because it would have been available and, well, cheap... and well, easier to maintain.

At the same time, though, lets not forget all the need for inclusiveness that's been going on, where people complain about women not being represented in movies, or books. When the cast or characters are mostly male, with a few token stereotypical female characters, the same people would have gone nuts because women weren't given roles. Accuracy to the books or history takes second place when it's suitable to the outrage being sought.

Now, since we're talking about the Star wars universe where melee combat was an afterthought, and armour was used to make an impression (or environmental protection), the chance of having impractical designs based on the image sought, would be more likely... since armour is little use against guns/laser weapons. It's just people getting outraged for the sake of it.

• Advertisement

Just to add... I've worn plate armor, and also chain variations (combat reenactments). They're heavy... which is the point. Few women would have the strength/stamina to walk around in a full or even partial set for long periods.. so this is never going to be about reality. It's about showing off... which means any armour would have been paper thin, and completely useless for actual combat. So, yeah.. armour with breasts.. sure..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement