Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting trait of Irish people

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

nullzero wrote: »
    A very charitable thing to relate to Belgium...

It's a scientific fact, based on the characteristics of all their famous people combined.

s-l300.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

You just made up a statement, and then called it Bizarre.

Is the left side of your brain not talking to the right?

Leave him alone he's an artiste.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Does this mean all Belgians are action movie stars?

That's not usually the first thing that springs to mind when Belgium is mentioned

Our ability to get sun burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I once told an American I don't drink and his response was... "Oh, were you an alcoholic?"

That's a fairly common question when someone refuses a drink,

• Advertisement

That's not usually the first thing that springs to mind when Belgium is mentioned

Belgium is a bit like Tir na n'og, Longford, Atlantis or the Bermuda Triangle... not sure if it's a real place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is correct. This is a site that primarily exists so people can complain and dish out criticism about other people, but when a poster like myself points out extremely valid traits about the Irish then other posters get extremely tetchy and defensive.

Your points may or may not be valid, others can decide. But by couching them in such extreme terms, you can expect extreme reactions.

Your points may or may not be valid, others can decide. But by couching them in such extreme terms, you can expect extreme reactions.

Goal achieved then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Irish people tend to be, highly, “sensitive” to criticism.

Irish making fun of other countries = havin' de craic.

Foreigners making fun of Ireland = highly offensive.

English people making fun of Ireland = Jihad declared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Extrapolating talents, skills and feats of famous irish people to the population at large. We are all playwrights, musicians, dramatists, interlocutors, whimsical ntellectuals and poets. Bizarre.
    Most of them were Protestants yet the Irish Catholic majority think they have the exact same traits.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    Most of them were Protestants yet the Irish Catholic majority think they have the exact same traits.

I think you're talking about a time when education was elitist.

If you cannot think of many Irish people of varied backgrounds that have had a global impact in the OPs categories you're highly unlikely to be a candidate yourself.

Irish people tend to be, highly, “sensitive” to criticism.

I would say we love it. One of the most self critical nations on Earth. I mean this whole thread is Irish self criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

We make good jockeys.

We have a way with horses.

Also .....i have a horse outside.

A part of Irish pride is tied to horses.

Strange thing about horses in Ireland, it's either the Traveller "class" (settled or not) or upper middle class that generally have a thing for horses... which are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

We make good jockeys.

We have a way with horses.

Also .....i have a horse outside.

Extremely true. Cf documentary film CAPALLOLOGY ( 1968)
    + pound for pound best breeders, trainers and jockeys in the known universe.

Not forgetting the equine predilections of the significant ethnic minority known currently under the appellation 'Travellers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Strange thing about horses in Ireland, it's either the Traveller "class" (settled or not) or upper middle class that generally have a thing for horses... which are you?

Or just ordinary people, particularly in rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would say we love it. One of the most self critical nations on Earth. I mean this whole thread is Irish self criticism.

Being self-critical or not taking yourself too seriously is just an Irish prevention mechanism not to be criticized or laughed at by others :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Is owning a horse a trait? What about a bicycle?

Is owning a horse a trait? What about a bicycle?
    Sure. But we are not really bike people. that is the dutch.:)

boardise wrote: »
    Extremely true. Cf documentary film CAPALLOLOGY ( 1968)

I will try and search for this on youtube.

• Advertisement

middle class personally. Not sure why that would interest you though?:confused:

But no its actually across the board.

Irish people are horse people. The amount of breeders yards ...all equine sports.

We dominate british racing. And we are a tiny country. its unreal.

Its even bigger rurally.

middle class personally. Not sure why that would interest you though?:confused:

Surely upper middle. I am firmly middle class and from a working class background and I know nobody who owns a horse, or has risen one. I know people who have ridden camels though. That was me, on a trip to Arabia. Wouldn't recommend. Horrible animals.

If you mean interest in the horses as in popping down to the bookies, then there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

almost saying exactly the opposite of what we mean when talking to people

a nation of straight talking -" tell it like it is " merchants , we aint

Surely upper middle. .

ugh ...i hate to say it ..but you are prob right.

I suck ! I hate myself!
    I am firmly middle class and from a working class background and I know nobody who owns a horse, or has risen one.

I do ..but horses are their business.

:)

If you mean interest in the horses as in popping down to the bookies, then there is that

Good luck next flutter. And you have one up on me ..i have never ridden a camel.

ugh ...i hate to say it ..but you are prob right.

I suck ! I hate myself!

We all have some privilege, dont hate yourself!

Good luck next flutter. And you have one up on me ..i have never ridden a camel.

Well not me but I have friends, cousins and others who bet on the horses. Mugs game.

I stick to the lottery :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MouldyApple

Two faced.
    I've noticed in my line of work, all about people to their face but would report them within minutes or cut the arse off them when they left.

Two faced.
    I've noticed in my line of work, all about people to their face but would report them within minutes or cut the arse off them when they left.
    Yeah. I just to tend to avoid people i don't like. Its not being super rude but not disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Eating dinner really late... do you just eat Gaviscon for pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

brummytom wrote: »
    Eating dinner really late... do you just eat Gaviscon for pudding?

Eh, we wat dinner at 1PM?
    Spuds, bacon and cabbage.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

miss.paula wrote: »
    Unlike most of the western world , we do not suffer from white guilt.
    We where **** upon by imperialism, and dont feel we have to atone for the white devils past transgressions, it make for a surprise when POC play the race card and paddy tells them to **** off.
    The well know trait of the Irish hot temper and willingness to throw down will take the wind out of the sails of the POC who would normally take umbrage at being one upped in the victim stakes.

You couldn't be more wrong. We were knee deep in imperialism. An approx 1/3 of the British army at one stage was made up of Irish. We were as much a part of imperialism as the average Yorkshire, Cardiff or Glasgow lad.

History can be quite uncomfortable at times. Not least for black people where people of their own race were often the ones selling them to the white people.

Lots of Irish people decried the Easter rising. Lots of Nationalist tradition people in NI are happy with the status quo.

Its not as black or white as you think.

Advertisement