Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting trait of Irish people

• 21-11-2020 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

Extrapolating talents, skills and feats of famous irish people to the population at large. We are all playwrights, musicians, dramatists, interlocutors, whimsical ntellectuals and poets. Bizarre.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Does this mean all Belgians are action movie stars?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Does this mean all Belgians are action movie stars?

A very charitable thing to relate to Belgium...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Saints and scholars

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Step away from the alcohol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

It's the Irish man/woman's burden when abroad to sound like a Yeats or a Heaney when most of us are anything but.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I know exactly of whom you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭con747

You forgot we are cantankerous bastards.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

drunks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, well, I find that the fair solution is to settle for a hybrid trait of inebriate pugilistic bards. Let's face it, even the dainty lasses have to own up to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Extrapolating talents, skills and feats of famous irish people to the population at large. We are all playwrights, musicians, dramatists, interlocutors, whimsical ntellectuals and poets. Bizarre.

You just made up a statement, and then called it Bizarre.

Is the left side of your brain not talking to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I'm not but part of my DNA isn't Irish. So i put it down to that.

But i will say this.

Most irish people in my mind ...are beautiful speakers. And i love to listen to you all. :)

I wish i had your gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Begrudgery

Gorteen wrote: »
    Begrudgery
    Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You forgot thieving bastards.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You forgot thieving bastards.
    Got your wallet!;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Immigration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I once told an American I don't drink and his response was... "Oh, were you an alcoholic?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I suppose you have to take into account the type of people who were left; who survived the famine; and the English and the poverty. They'd have to be the dreamers.

kowloonkev wrote: »
    I suppose you have to take into account the type of people who were left; who survived the famine; and the English and the poverty. They'd have to be the dreamers.
    Don't think so. I think the dreamers mostly leave.

We are tough mother ****ers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

A friend of mine said when he moved here he was never quite sure when confronted with a shouting drunk Irishman if he was going to get punched or making a friend for life and he often didn't know til the last second

zanador wrote: »
    A friend of mine said when he moved here he was never quite sure when confronted with a shouting drunk Irishman if he was going to get punched or making a friend for life and he often didn't know til the last second
    I don't think i would want someone like that to be a friend for life.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't post while high OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

The Cáca Milis

The Cáca Milis
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Username here

The Cáca Milis

Tá scamaill sa spéir.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Very true.

True.

The Cáca Milis

i wasted 17 mins of my life and now so must you

There is always that dude on public transport though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Irish people tend to be, highly, “sensitive” to criticism.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Irish people tend to be, highly, “sensitive” to criticism.

That is correct. This is a site that primarily exists so people can complain and dish out criticism about other people, but when a poster like myself points out extremely valid traits about the Irish then other posters get extremely tetchy and defensive.

Some examples include:

- A lot of Irish people have horrific teeth. Things have improved, but you still set a lot of people wandering around with a set of teeth on them that wouldn't look out of place in the movie Deliverance.

- Overweight men in their 30's and 40's still wearing bootcut jeans and looking like they are looking forward to attending the Witnness Music Festival in the year 2000.

- That thing where Irish people go abroad and up the levels of Paddywhackery as they somehow believe it impresses the poor misfortunates who end up in their presence. This reaches its zenith when Ireland qualify for a soccer tournament, and will usually involve sunburn, drunkenness, a man in a fountain, and a desperate need to feel they are liked. Cringe inducing.

- Buying absolutely awful low-end cars on PCP finance.

Advertisement