Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

There is a generation that has not grown up with .......

• 15-11-2020 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

I was 50 this year. It makes you think.

I look at my kids.

For me they they are a generation that has not grown up with nor know.......

The Smiths

Only Fools and Horses

Abject Unemployment

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Dial-up internet access :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Count themselves lucky if they never hear The Smiths.
    A band for cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Reading about a band for ages before you actually got a chance to listen to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Writing a letter to someone

Going to the video library , renting your video, getting it home to discover its crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Every generation of the million years of human evolution up until the 1980s grew up without Only Fools And Horses and The Smiths. And all the other stuff that defines your formative years.

This generation, and every one after then for the next million years of human evolution, will get in just fine without them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Looking through a telephone directory or the Golden Pages (yellow pages) for a number or service.
    Ordering items from a paper catalogue over the phone or by post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My wife's friends 13 year old daughter doesn't know how to turn on an oven or butter bread. I do blame the (single) mother but I fear there is a generation coming up that don't have basic skills in self sufficiency. They are more concerned with men having periods

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Visiting or phoning a travel agent to book a holiday or flight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I’m sure current and future generations will get on just fine without all the crap of previous generations. After all there are a lot of 50+ year olds that don’t know how to solder a hole in a bucket with a fire iron, or an electric one for that matter... replace a valve in a radio or fix a tv... all skill that were thought to be useful when I were a boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Raichu

My wife's friends 13 year old daughter doesn't know how to turn on an oven or butter bread. I do blame the (single) mother but I fear there is a generation coming up that don't have basic skills in self sufficiency. They are more concerned with men having periods (which is mental illness)

Sure look she’s a kid still. She might not be able to use an oven, but there’s adults just over twice her age who can’t use most modern technology effortlessly. These are skills she‘ll learn in time. My brother didn’t figure out how an oven works till the day before he left to college at 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Having to tax your car at the motor taxation office. It was basically a smoke filled piss laden aired fooking kip that you had to fill in a form that took a good 10 minutes despite the fact you just wanted to add another years tax to your car you already owned based on the registration xyz123.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the misery of endless remorseless political correctness.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Buttered popcorn at the cinema...

Good music.. The 80s and 90s are amazing compared to the shtie today

• Registered Users Posts: 81,058 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

smurf492 wrote: »
    Buttered popcorn at the cinema...

UCI still do or did, I will not financially support a cinema not offering it, pure delish :D

UCI still do or did, I will not financially support a cinema not offering it, pure delish

Dublin.. Not for me

Values.. Or responsibility.. Fcuk I never thought I'd say that as I'm not a codger, just turned middle age.. :) but christ the twenty odds these days are like zombies. In jobs and in general..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

PGE1970 wrote: »

The Smiths

Awful

Only Fools and Horses

Awful

Abject Unemployment

Awful

Anything you think newer generations have missed thats worth actually experiencing?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UCI still do or did, I will not financially support a cinema not offering it, pure delish :D

UCI ceased to exist about eight years ago. So your idea of "did" is not even vaguely useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

smurf492 wrote: »
    Values.. Or responsibility.. Fcuk I never thought I'd say that as I'm not a codger, just turned middle age.. :) but christ the twenty odds these days are like zombies. In jobs and in general..

I couldn't disagree more, when I went back as a mature student a few years ago all the kids (who'd be in their 20s now) were working at least one job, volunteering in at least one scheme and were way more confident and put together at their age than my generation were (I was born late 70s).

My 15 year old and his mates are so clued in and aware of themselves and others.

I love young people, we're leaving them with an awful burden globally and I think we should just support them however we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Recoding songs from the radio onto a cassette and praying the DJ wouldn’t start talking

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Phoning people at specific times. You knew everyone's routine. There was no mobile phone or catch-up TV so you had to phone someone's house when they weren't at football or something good wasn't on TV. Every social meeting was organised in advance. I don't think kids are missing out by not having mobiles or catch up TV but it doesn't help their organisational or communication skills.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Reading maps and memorising routes to get from A to B. Cursing the lack of road signs and bad directions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Using a rotary dial phone. Using a pay phone. Relying on a book or an encyclopedia for your information.
    Instant Communications in general is the massive change

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

drake70 wrote: »
    Dial-up internet access :eek:

no internet access ! going to phone box to ring your mates who had phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Going to the video library , renting your video, getting it home to discover its crap

Or not rewound

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

L1011 wrote: »
    Awful

Awful

Awful

Anything you think newer generations have missed thats worth actually experiencing?

Wow, you just sound like an older version of the newer generation, some sort of hybrid.

Or not rewound

Or your player mangles it, then dropping it back saying nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭lemonTrees

Cancel culture.

It genuinely is one of the most insidious things about the modern world.

Advertisement