Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating American names for things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

First responders.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Color

Where's the U gone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Farenheit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Shooter instead of mad bast@rd with a gun

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

boo-ee for buoy. But I'm pretty sure they pronounce buoyant as we do.

Diaper is the original (old English) word - nappy replaced it in the UK.

So it was the Plymouth Brethren who brought Diapers to the New World. But Old English was way before that like in Chaucer's time.

Anyway.... who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

screamer wrote: »
    Drugs and drugstore
    Instead of medicine and pharmacy

Chemist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nope and nope.

And whilst people have heard of Newbridge silverware, I have genuinely never heard silverwear used to request basic cutlery from anyone this side of the Atlantic. You might mention wanting to get out the good silver for a fancy dinner... But never have I ever heard a non-American refer to bog standard cutlery as silverwear. Plus, I've heard them use it for plastic cutlery, which just seems bizarre.

I have often heard it referred to as silverware. I checked a few online dictionaries, and none of them list it as being American English only. And I also knew that it has become a general term for eating utensils not made out of silver.

silverware
    The tools you use to eat your food, including spoons, forks, and knives, are called silverware. Some silverware is actually made of silver, but silverware made of stainless steel is much more common these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

"Freedom"...for doing whatever the fcuk they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

crosstownk wrote: »
    Farenheit.

Yes indeed. I cannot understand FH now anymore. But they are stuck with miles and FH. Ah well it is their country after all.

• Advertisement

Farenheit.

Not spelled/spelt like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭JimToken

Big Mac

Soda pop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

screamer wrote: »
    Drugs and drugstore
    Instead of medicine and pharmacy

That one caused a lot of confusion with one of my grandparents when a US relative was over. She started getting very cautious about stuff, watching her handbag and so on.

One of the cousins had said “oh yeah! He’s on a lot of drugs these days.”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Not spelled/spelt like that.

Apologies - Fahrenheit.

Sincerest apologies. :rolleyes:

Apologies - Fahrenheit.

Sincerest apologies. :rolleyes:

Not at all. And it is good to see America sticking to the older measure, and not the new fangled Celsius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pants, ( it's an Irish thing as well unfortunately) - they are trousers. Pants are knickers.

Backyard rather than garden. A yard is a hard surface area.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

JimToken wrote: »
    Soda pop

This is a funny one, as these are two different terms that don’t tend to get put together in common use anywhere in the US... whichever term for soft drink you look at, more of the US doesn’t say it than does.

‘Soda’ is mostly just said on the west coast and north east coast.

‘Pop’ is mostly just said from the Midwest across to the northwest.

And the weirdest of all - just calling all soft drinks ‘coke’ (like the way we call all vacuums ‘Hoovers’), is said everywhere else, right across the south

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Turn signal (indicator)

Transmission (gearbox)

I think you're a little confused. In English the transmission is the gear box, clutch, drive shaft and diff. In American transmission means simply the gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Sweater, they were fascinated by the word "Jumper"

https://youtu.be/_2PuhzO_whY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Math" seems to be gaining traction this side of the pond. And those who use the term "soccer" to describe a football game should be forced to operate a hotdog stand in an abandoned carpark.

Football is played in Croke Park. Soccer is the correct Irish term for the Dalymount game

Irish people saying ''dude''.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Beef Patties , here we call them burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

the one that annoys me the most is legos . no its Lego. it is its own plural.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Football is played in Croke Park. Soccer is the correct Irish term for the Dalymount game

Dalymount, as in the Home of Irish Football, as it's known. Home to Bohemian FC, as in Bohemian Football Club? One of the many teams under the umbrella of the FAI i.e. Football Association of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,780 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

cnocbui wrote: »
    Gas, for a flammable liquid that isn't a gas.

(it’s short for gasoline)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

D3V!L wrote: »
    I think you're a little confused. In English the transmission is the gear box, clutch, drive shaft and diff. In American transmission means simply the gearbox.

I think your the your the confused one

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭freewheeler

EYE-raq (Iraq)

Omackeral wrote: »
    Irish people saying ''dude''.

dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,343 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

EYE-raq (Iraq)

This is the worst one.

If you are going to bomb a country into oblivion at least learn how to pronounce it first

Advertisement