Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Housing waiting list

• 01-11-2020 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I’ve been on the housing list in Cork city for about a year. I’m not expecting to be offered anything anytime soon but I was wondering if anyone had any information on the average waiting times? It’s just me and my daughter and we’ve been approved for a 2 bedroom. Also does anyone have any experience renting with HAP that could give me some tips? My living situation at the moment is not good and I need to get out ASAP but I’m not getting any emails or calls back from any prospective landlords. I’m starting to feel like this is hopeless and I’ll be stuck in my current living situation for a lot longer! Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

About 10 years across the board

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The waiting list is closer to 20 years than 10 in Dublin and Cork could be similar, the cities are all higher than anywhere else.

Are you female or male? Females get priority because homeless accommodation isn't suitable for females but is for males apparently.

I just read again and saw you have a roof over your head, you haven't a hope of the council helping you if your not sleeping on the streets or in a Garda station. Your only option is to find a place that will rent to you and get HAP. Maybe widen your search area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Redherring123

GarIT wrote: »
    The waiting list is closer to 20 years than 10 in Dublin and Cork could be similar, the cities are all higher than anywhere else.

Are you female or male? Females get priority because homeless accommodation isn't suitable for females but is for males apparently.

I just read again and saw you have a roof over your head, you haven't a hope of the council helping you if your not sleeping on the streets or in a Garda station. Your only option is to find a place that will rent to you and get HAP. Maybe widen your search area.

Yes I have a roof over my head, it’s not ideal but I know I’m better off than a lot of others so that I’m thankful for. I’ve been looking for private rental accommodation in Cork City and county but it seems extremely difficult and once I mention HAP I hear no more. All I can do is keep trying and hope I get lucky. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Yes I have a roof over my head, it’s not ideal but I know I’m better off than a lot of others so that I’m thankful for. I’ve been looking for private rental accommodation in Cork City and county but it seems extremely difficult and once I mention HAP I hear no more. All I can do is keep trying and hope I get lucky. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if it is illegal or there is just a fine for it but either way landloards can't refuse HAP but some will stop communication without giving a reason once you mention HAP. Try to mention HAP as late as you can, and if someone agrees to rent to you but then disappears when you mention HAP you can report them.

There is one major problem with HAP, it pays a month behind when landlords want each month paid in advance, so try if you can to have the deposit + full first months rent ready so you can then start using HAP from the second month onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Rebel Man

Is it still hard to get a house to rent in Cork City for either hap or non hap applicant? Looking at DAFT it seems to me that there are more properties to rent??

• Advertisement
Advertisement