Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

:p The marketing guys must have been pissing themselves with laughter when they came up with this!

Funny enough, they are slow off the mark doing that, gender free sanitary items have existed for a while according to a quick google.. I imagine that in the near future laughing about this will be as frowned upon as it is now to poke fun at someone over race or ability etc. It's human nature to sometimes get nervous over change.. I'm terrible for it tbh, i still use real butter!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Antares35 wrote: »
    Also is it actually a woman just because she's wearing a dress? Cue the collective indignation and fury and warbling about how gender is a social construct. Or something.

I'd be more worried as it looks like the lady in green may have snapped her leg and have difficulty crossing the road.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I think she looks like she's busting for a piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Antares35 wrote: »
    Also is it actually a woman just because she's wearing a dress? Cue the collective indignation and fury and warbling about how gender is a social construct. Or something.

Would you be allowed wear a dress that short in Mumbai, I'd reckon it's a coat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I reckon its a trapezoidal sandwich board.

Fk me, but I wish I could get back to sleep!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

AllForIt wrote: »
    Full Stops. Apparently full stops used in text messaging and the like are offensive to young people. Too much on the passive/aggressive side.Source.

Not so much "woke" as a generation who can't use punctuation correctly, or spell in many cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Text speak is the devil's only friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/mumbai-traffic-light-women-intl-hnk-scli/index.html#:~:text=The%20Indian%20financial%20capital%2C%20home,the%20generic%20male%20stick%20figure.

Various countries including Mumbai as per the article linked have gone to the trouble of changing the stick figures on their traffic lights to that of a female.

The problem with that is, would that not indicate that only woman can cross and visa versa.

female-traffic-light-signals.jpg

The bad thing is women in India often wear saris so this is a western centric depiction of women. The good thing is men and women both wear pajama kurta which this icon looks like. So it all works out in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

https://metro.co.uk/2020/09/04/superdrug-launch-inclusive-sanitary-products-for-people-who-menstruate-13225543/

Superdrug has launched 'inclusive' sanitary towels, removing any indication from them that they are for women. Pink packaging etc. Now they are for 'people who menstruate'.
    Good job Superdrug. Caving in to the psychopathic mob and joining the campaign to erase aspects of biological womanhood.

Not a bit sinister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Good job Superdrug. Caving in to the psychopathic mob and joining the campaign to erase aspects of biological womanhood.

Not a bit sinister.

They're not caving in, I guarantee to them they are simply taking advantage of a marketing opportunity and one upping their competition! Cash is king and corporate decision makers couldn't give a fcuk about anything but the bottom line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

So American wannabes on here, who's the Wokeist of Twitterland today?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,429 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Not a bit sinister.

What’s “biologically female” about pink packaging?

The tide is turning…

Haha. Good man Emmet. Having "your pronouns" in your sig.

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,828 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The other thing is that if you go to the Superdrug website (or any supermarket) most of the other brands of sanitary towels don’t even have pink packaging.

I did find this quote from the article surprising:
    The communications assistant for LGBTQ+ charity Mermaids, Jake Edwards, said Superdrug’s stance would make a difference. He said: ‘As a trans person who still experiences periods, I dread the days when my supplies start running low. ‘I run through a million scenarios of people staring at me, questioning me, laughing behind my back. Now I can confidently walk into a Superdrug and if anyone challenged me I could point to the packet and say “look, this is made for me”.

Has anyone - male, female or other - ever been challenged for buying sanitary towels? Does anyone really need to point at the packet to prove anything? I’m a man, and I regularly buy sanitary towels for my wife - sometimes as part of the weekly shopping, sometimes as an individual errand - and I’ve never been challenged or made feel uncomfortable doing so.

"People who menstruate", "pregnant people" - it would be hilarious if it were from a comedy.

(Pink packaging or non pink packaging is obviously not the concern - my Kotex are actually in a black package, Always brand - dark blue, other Always - purple).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

"People who menstruate", "pregnant people" - it would be hilarious if it were from a comedy.

(Pink packaging or non pink packaging is obviously not the concern - my Kotex are actually in a black package, Always brand - dark blue, other Always - purple).

I don't know what Always have started putting in their pads but it causes savage flare ups for me on those parts that people who have a fanny have. I have gone completely to cloth - well bamboo actually. Just a handy FYI for people who menstruate! :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The other thing is that if you go to the Superdrug website (or any supermarket) most of the other brands of sanitary towels don’t even have pink packaging.

I did find this quote from the article surprising:

Has anyone - male, female or other - ever been challenged for buying sanitary towels? Does anyone really need to point at the packet to prove anything? I’m a man, and I regularly buy sanitary towels for my wife - sometimes as part of the weekly shopping, sometimes as an individual errand - and I’ve never been challenged or made feel uncomfortable doing so.

Agree , it's absolutely bizarre logic in fairness. I would regularly on foot of verbal message/text have to pick up said sanitary items when going to a shop. No different than picking up a carton of milk. Tis a warped mind that thinks otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Thankfully the Coombe still seems to be referred to as a woman's hospital, you will know things have gone to the sh1tter if its ever referred to as a people who menstruate hospital :D

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

hitler is creamin himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

1990sman wrote: »
    Hitler is creaming himself

Sorry I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Gruffalox wrote: »
    I don't know what Always have started putting in their pads but it causes savage flare ups for me on those parts that people who have a fanny have. I have gone completely to cloth - well bamboo actually. Just a handy FYI for people who menstruate! :cool:

I think it's some anti-bacterial thing. Did the same to me, don't understand why they did it. It's like full on chemical burns, as if periods weren't painful enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

I've genuinely never come across any of this ****e in real life. It's just hyperbole on the internet for clicks in the main.

For now at least....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,872 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gruffalox wrote: »

IS that JK Rowling reference?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Only WOMEN (born female) menstruate. Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Exactly. Women aren't people.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

buckwheat wrote: »
    I've genuinely never come across any of this ****e in real life. It's just hyperbole on the internet for clicks in the main.

For now at least....

don't go to Superdrug :pac:

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1302299252530577410

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Not sure about what JHB is saying. Men don't menstruate. The issue is with the cowardliness of not simply using the word "women".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Not sure about what JHB is saying. Men don't menstruate. The issue is with the cowardliness of not simply using the word "women".

Not cowardliness - just basic manners. A transgender person who was born female, but identifies as male, will probably be a bit pissed off if you (or, in this case, someone trying to sell them a product) refer to them as a 'woman'. Nobody really minds being called a 'person' though.

• Advertisement

And what about women who are pissed off about "women" not being used? I do wonder why there are only concerns about manners in one direction. Denial of biology is so Orwellian. If someone is a trans man, I'll refer to that person as such, I will use male pronouns in relation to him, but I refuse to deny he is biologically female. Who decided that this controlling of language and reality and truth is OK?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement