Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 melancholy blues

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/1210/1224308849884.html
    This seems to suggest there will be a third series...3rd paragraph:

(Creator/Writer) 'is working on other scripts alongside those for the third series of Love/Hate .'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I think there's a DNA "continuity" issue with Rosie and her mother as well.

Have you met her Daddy?

Great end to a great series, with a nice little twist when we were wondering if there was going to be two bodies in the hole in the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

who is the actor that plays johns new solicitor dave====thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

darren went the airport , he prob realised he doesnt belong in the show
    nidge is excellent , its mad to see him in real life he is a posh thespian (excellent actor)
    yer wans on the game
    cant wait til the 3rd series ,its been given the go ahead apparantly
    john boy had to die cause he was needed to go back and do the wire again
    and them social workers that were talkin to luke an episode or two ago prob put up the posters (for all you haters)
    great work rte , one of the few channels these days that makes decent tv
    Love/hate ,republic of telly , hardy bucks , meet your neighbours,,,,,,,,every other channel just re-runs 2 and a half men or some sort of x factor crap

• ahhhhh I disagree on both points.. The Guards dont take it upon themselves to put up posters of missing people until they are reported missing.. Somebody would have had to have reported him missing.

And.. I dont think Robert Sheehan is the greatest actor.. He's probably jumped ahead of a lot of other better actors cos he's pretty (and good luck to him), but he was miscast in the role as a hard man...

Ok i take your point on the missing persons but I personally dont think the casting of Rob Sheehan was a bad choice.
    I reckon there is plenty of innocent looking doe eyed boys around Ireland being lured into gangs. We are witnessing Darren's struggle with trying to escape gangland but at the same time he is so heavily sucked into it, its almost impossible to. Gangland has cost him the love of his life, his brother and his conscience but Darren is so sucked into it, as is Tommy, that they cant escape. They are in over their heads with dangerous Psychos like John Boy, Fran and now Nidge

• Advertisement

• I think there's a DNA "continuity" issue with Rosie and her mother as well.

Phil Lynotts mother was white and Phil had similar skin colour to Ruth Negga so no i dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75950804&postcount=1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Great series and hats off to RTE, we've waited long enough for a good show. As for Robert Sheehan, hope he is'nt in the next series, he is too pretty and well groomed to play the part of a hardman. Nidge was top notch and would like to see him stay on though. Storyline was excellent and thought through, i found myself getting excited every Sunday afternoon waiting for Love/Hate (sad i know :o) which rarely happens anymore with such poor tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭trashcan

cloptrop wrote: »
    darren went the airport , he prob realised he doesnt belong in the show
    nidge is excellent , its mad to see him in real life he is a posh thespian (excellent actor)
    yer wans on the game
    cant wait til the 3rd series ,its been given the go ahead apparantly
    john boy had to die cause he was needed to go back and do the wire again

The Wire is finished, they made the last series about 3 years ago at this stage and there won't be anymore. Speaking of which, anyone else think the ending montage was a direct steal from the Wire. Song playing while shots show the fate of various characters.

All in all though, the series did improve strongly from series one. The character of Nidge in particular came to the fore very well and was superbly acted. I reckon he could carry a third series. Would like to see Fran the man out of prison and a bit of a gang war between him and Nidge could be interesting. Agree about Darren, the actor just didn't suit the hard man role. I'd leave him in London, or wherever he was heading, for the third series. Would also like to see some cop involvement to give a fuller picture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Great series, but tonights one could have been much better. It was obvious the pervert was going to be hit, but the new boss could have been installed more officially, others could have been popped off and the way cleared up for the next series.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    The Wire is finished, they made the last series about 3 years ago

sorry but he was contracted to do something, i think by the wire makers was an interview with the makers on the radio the other day.
    anyhu he had to go elsewhere they had to kill him off .
    Was good for the story though , really showed nidges talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

headmaster wrote: »
    Great series, but tonights one could have been much better. It was obvious the pervert was going to be hit, but the new boss could have been installed more officially, others could have been popped off and the way cleared up for the next series.

I was thinking this also but i did'nt realise the 3rd series got the go ahead, knew the ending was too good to be true ! Their was no way all the bad guys would get away with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ger Carey and not Don Baker, whom he does resemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭maxpowers

compelling viewing i must admit - long time since i enjoyed sunday nights as much ;counting the hours down today i was!

I thought Sheehan was decent tonight but Nidge is a legend pure double faced love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Speaking of which, anyone else think the ending montage was a direct steal from the Wire. Song playing while shots show the fate of various characters.

I didn't bother watching this tonight as I was watching snooker but I caught five minutes of last weeks episode. In that there was bit taken right out of episode one of The Wire where the camera switches to black and white cctv and another scene seemed remarkably similar to when Stringer and Avon discuss who can be trusted. Sitting at a bar and everything.

I have no doubt the writers are influenced by The Wire which is a good thing but they really don't need to copy little things from it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

hunkydory1 wrote: »
    Did Darren say to the airport when he got into taxi?.?

Yes.

But the real question is - Did he, or did he not have his tash on at the time ?

:pac:

The Wire is finished, they made the last series about 3 years ago at this stage and there won't be anymore. Speaking of which, anyone else think the ending montage was a direct steal from the Wire. Song playing while shots show the fate of various characters.

All in all though, the series did improve strongly from series one. The character of Nidge in particular came to the fore very well and was superbly acted. I reckon he could carry a third series. Would like to see Fran the man out of prison and a bit of a gang war between him and Nidge could be interesting. Agree about Darren, the actor just didn't suit the hard man role. I'd leave him in London, or wherever he was heading, for the third series. Would also like to see some cop involvement to give a fuller picture.
    Lapin wrote: »
    Yes.

But the real question is - Did he, or did he not have his tash on at the time ?

:pac:

he didnt have a chance to shave it he was (and i quote) in a real bind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Regarding the death of John Boy.. I would imagine Aidan Gillen was needed to film Game of Thrones, has a pretty major role there! Pretty impressive to have large roles in two HBO productions to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

I think the guy that plays Luke is doing a real good job.. I know a few guys like him... decent at heart, a little bit "touched", from a bad background.. very convincingly acted..
    Yep Gavin Drea is a great actor, straight out of the quality that is UCD Dramsoc :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Big disappointment with that episode, very little in it, I'd have been happy with the previous episode being the end of the series. Your man Darren's only a bollocks, the weepy-eyes emo murderer schtick has got tired. I hope him and Rosey are nowhere near the next series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DULLAHAN2

Wasnt the best episode but all lot of loose ends tied up. I think it opens the way for a 3rd series that is straight into the action, no having to remind viewers what happend.

Third season plot............. Hopefully

Fran will get out of prison and come for nidge seeking what he thinks nidge owes him since nidge has taken over from Johnboy so a turf war will ensue.

There will be no debbie or darrens sister.

Darren got shot in the first series making him a pussy in the second but will come back with a dont fook with me attitude after he finds out rosie dies and doesnt give a Fook about anything

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I thought last nights episode set it up nicely for a 3rd series, with Nidge in control and mayhem ensuing as his take no crap attitude rubs everyone up the wrong way.

The tash apart, thought it was better written for Darren - the Darren/ Rosie thing was starting to wear. I'd say the whole taxi to the airport is setting it up in case they can't get Robert Sheehan back for the 3rd series.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I agree last night episode was not as good as last weeks, but still, it was daycent viewing.

Series 3 should be good, I reckon the first to get shot dead will be yer man Aido.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

My prediction for season 3 is that Rosie will die some how bringing Darren back full of rage and happily whacking people for king Nidge!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I thought last nights episode set it up nicely for a 3rd series, with Nidge in control and mayhem ensuing as his take no crap attitude rubs everyone up the wrong way.

The tash apart, thought it was better written for Darren - the Darren/ Rosie thing was starting to wear. I'd say the whole taxi to the airport is setting it up in case they can't get Robert Sheehan back for the 3rd series.

Cant see Nidge surviving long - he will take one chance too many and be taken out.

Darren will come to the fore Id say. He is basically the young Michael Corleone from The Godfather Part 1, in the begining he swears to Rosie that he'll be out of the lifestyle soon, just as Michael assured Kay - he looses her and begins a downward spiral, eventually becoming the hardest of them all, harder than Nidge even.

The episode last night was full of references to the Sopranos also. Luke in the woods = the Russian in the woods, Nidge pondering whether to whack Darren = Tony Soprano pondering whether to push Paulie Wallnuts off the boat in one of the last few episodes; the montage to music of each charater's fate - the Sopranos did that as well. Even though the show is so slick, you would have to wonder how the writers will keep it going when they have used up all this derivative stuff.

The tache thing - obvously it couldnt be an error - but why?? Isnt it Oliver Stone who likes to put in apparent mistakes like that deliberatly to provoke discussion among movie nerds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The tache thing is simply because not all scenes are shot chronologically and perhaps also due to reshoots. Since Sheehan* is about 16 years old he can't be expected to regrow his tache quickly enough.

*Well he looks about 16....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

DeepBlue wrote: »
    The tache thing is simply because not all scenes are shot chronologically and perhaps also due to reshoots. Since Sheehan* is about 16 years old he can't be expected to regrow his tache quickly enough.

*Well he looks about 16....:pac:

There is no way such a slick production would have missed this or that they said "ah shure its grand" in the editing process.

It was obviously done deliberately - the question is why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    There is no way such a slick production would have missed this or that they said "ah shure its grand" in the editing process.

It was obviously done deliberately - the question is why?

I was wondering that last night myself. Darren with his sister: no tache, good guy. Darren with Nidge, tache, bad guy.

Did anyone else notice that when he was looking out the window of his sisters place, the camera was focused on his reflection, and the reflection had a tache?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moseisley

I have not seen the episode again but there is no way they have made so many obvious tache oversights. The scene where you see his reflection clearly represents thw two sides of his conflicting pysche. The good Darren and the evil Darren. There is a noticeable change in character in that short moment when he is arguing with himself as a split personality. Gollum or Black Swan esque.

The writers, actors and directors would not have overlooked what we are all talking about. The tache is being used to symbolise Darren's inner struggle.

• Advertisement

• Does anyone agree with me when i say that Nidge seizing the opportunity to take control of the gang is akin to John Gilligan's rise in stock when the General was shot?
    The wife who loves the lavish life that Nidge is providing her no matter what cost which is also akin to Gilligans wife and other gangland wives

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement