Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had 50,000 euro?

• 06-05-2005 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

What would you do if u had 50g to invest. I think i would stay away from the property market, most bargains seem to be gone. would have to be stocks. 50,000 split beteween 6 diff sectors. Seems to be a nice slump at the moment in the USA.

Any body?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

you *could* give it to me. I could embezzle sorry invest it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Foreign property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

1. Give some to charity.
    2. Put it against my mortgage.
    3. Put it in a rabobank account while I think about it (3%)
    4. Buy some risk free things like prize bonds.
    5. But some high risk shares shuch as Waterford Wedgwood.
    6. Buy some safe shares such as Anglo Irish Bank
    7. Buy a plazma TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jay567

haha, yeah ill meet u tomorrow and give it to u, no need for a recipt.

about foreign property, turkey looks good as does some parts in the south of spain. I have one in the north of spain which has given back better returns than the popular resort locations and yearly rentals are easier to come by. But dont really like the risks involved in the new euro states.

Plazma tv, hummmm.
    About rabobank, do u have any info on them? I seen the ad on tv the other day but cant remember a thing.

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Foreign Property, am looking at Eastern Europe at the moment, but I'm unsure. Property in Spain is nice, but Spain's property market was described as over-valued at the moment (like Irelands). Can't remember where I read that.

If I had 50K lying around right now? Hmm, I'd probably take some for staking my poker play :D

Although for returns etc with interest rates so low, I'm not sure. Diversify, diversify, diversify. Pick 4 or 5 areas you like the look of and invest 10K or so in each. Enough to have finger in the pie, but not enough that a major downturn in said area would cripple you.

If 50K was all that I had in savings, I'd be putting it in some safe(ish) investment scheme tbh. Stocks and shares are nice and can get you good returns, but I wouldn't be putting my pension on them.

Eastern Europe just gives me a bad feeling. Places like poland being hyped. Now tell me if the polish population is expected to drop 15% in the next 10 yrs where will the demand come to raise the prices.

I agree with u in the fact that spain is over valued, along the standard tourist trails. But one thing that wont change about spain is that its close, has good weather and will stay cheap to fly to.

they are flogging property at the moment on the radio for Thailand, would be nice to have but not really the jump on the plane and to the house in no time kinda location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

jay567 wrote:
    Plazma tv, hummmm.
    About rabobank, do u have any info on them? I seen the ad on tv the other day but cant remember a thing.

cheers

www.rabobank.ie
    THey pay you 3% which is 10 times higher then the average irish bank account. Your 50grand would earn about €28.75 a week before tax or 1500 per year. Im in the process of opening one.

Thanks full forward, maybe u could post how it all goes when ur done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

buy lots of oil and store it in hidden rural tanks and sell it in 20years for a huge profit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

wouldn't go near the us stock market. while it may be in a bit of a slump, it is historically overpriced. there is just too much money chasing these investments.

i'd recommend putting the money in a selection of about 10 AIM/Irish/European small-cap growth stocks, after doing a lot of research. but only if you could afford to sit on your investment for about 10-15 years.

AND OF COURSE: Staying away from the current bubble in small-cap oil and online-gambling stocks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭frankmcfrank

Property in turkey is going up 30% a year you could still buy a house there for 50g and do nothing with it for 3 years an you make 100% profit and if you lease it to holiday makers you could pay the costs for the 3 years holding it and make more profit!

Irish share Elan will be good in next year or so again...or waterford, the cheaper irish shares are the most profitable over a short period of time just watch them.

www.goodbody.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I was thinking of opening a rabobank account also,would you reccomend it to a 17 yr old. I would use it to keep money I earn during the summer..would this just be a waste of time?What other benefits have Rabobank.ie on offer?

Hakko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

complicated things are usually 18years+ check out rabos terms and conditions
    if you can't then use your local credit union which will return 2-3% p.a.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

vector wrote:
    complicated things are usually 18years+ check out rabos terms and conditions
    if you can't then use your local credit union which will return 2-3% p.a.

Local Credit Unions are a good source of small loans. I've always kept a few grand in my credit union account back home against the day I need a loan.

Plus imo the difference between 2 and 3 percent on a deposit is only going to bother me on amounts well over 100K. For anything less, well is it really worth caring about?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭techguy

I was just browsing the t&c's and noticed you must be over 18 but you can have an adult setup an account for you and manage it until you are of age. I will wait the 4 months and then open my own account..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

Property in turkey is going up 30% a year you could still buy a house there for 50g and do nothing with it for 3 years an you make 100% profit and if you lease it to holiday makers you could pay the costs for the 3 years holding it and make more profit!

www.goodbody.ie

Thats what I've just done. It'll mean that in 4 years (no capital gains tax after 4 years in Turkey) I can pay back my loan, interest AND have a nice profit (perhaps for a deposit here).
    Easy investment really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Thats what I've just done.
    Me too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Dublinstar

To those that invested in Turkey - where, how much (exactly) and with what agency? Ive been thinking about it for 2 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

Thats what I've just done. It'll mean that in 4 years (no capital gains tax after 4 years in Turkey) I can pay back my loan, interest AND have a nice profit (perhaps for a deposit here).
    Easy investment really

Where did you buy, who did you use to do it and how much in total did it cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭halkar

I bought an apartment in Turkey, not in a holiday resort but in a town that is near Istanbul and with a posibilty of becoming city in the future due it's size. Location I bought will be like city center and a big hospital planned. I bought it when there were economic crises about 3 years ago for a laughable money after much haggle.Now it is gone up 4 times in value and I got some cash offers but hoding on to it :D Also bought a land with a posibilty of giving to a builder and get 3 apartments with no hassle. Again holding on to that too. Next I am thinking of Istanbul when I get some deposit put together.

One tip to anyone investing in Turkey, haggle as much as possible. Agent prices are very inflated and most of those holiday homes are over priced even though it might look cheap to you. Have your cash in your pocket, once they get the smell of it then hit hard. Haggle haggle haggle ;) Also consider buying a land and build yourself, it will cost far less. Might sounds a lot of hassle but it is your money, make the most of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

What agency did you use Halker?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Online banks such as Northern Rock offer very reasonable interest rates if you leave your money in long enough. Investing some of it might be a better idea than investing all of it in case something crashes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭halkar

What agency did you use Halker?

I didn't use any agency, I did all myself and help of family & friends there. I am from Turkey :)
    For Istanbul, there are many agencies that can advice. You can even try Remax, they usually have good property. For holiday homes there are a lot of them around which would be safe option as things can go very slow there and these people know people to push papers quicker. :D There is nothing to loose, at the worst you sell and get your money back, at the best hold on as long as you can and you double or more your money in few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 saveme

jay567 wrote:
    What would you do if u had 50g to invest. I think i would stay away from the property market, most bargains seem to be gone. would have to be stocks. 50,000 split beteween 6 diff sectors. Seems to be a nice slump at the moment in the USA.

Any body?
    You could go with Alex K. - well known Russian trader- and have your
    account managed in Switzerland by him - and hope he makes 10% net all
    coming months http://www.forex-traders.info/index.php?id=434

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

Im looking at this at the moment but the hype and the choice is a little overwhelming when I check Daft.ie etc.

Any recomendations on a solid agency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Go over and check it out yourself Red. A flight at short notice would be cheap and accomodation is also cheap. Go to the local estate agents. Thats what I did. Checked on-line for months and then flew over. Went into about 8 different estate agents. Had a look at various properties and settled on one. Am in the process of buying at the moment. The most important person in this deal is your solicitor so check him/her out.
    The area you buy will affect your rental. Just use your common sense when purchasing. Actually at the moment there is a new ammendment to the law regarding foreign buyers in Turkey. That law should be passed soon so there is a "freeze" on foreigners buying. However if you see a property you like at the moment you can buy a charge on it. But certainly go over and see it for yourself and check out a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

rabobank offers 3%, inflation is 3% as an investment this yields 0%per year.actually it costs you money to keep it in the bank if you consider the oportunity cost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

re turkey
    what are rental yields like in good turkish resorts? have the attacks in summer where irish woman was killed in kusadasi affected prices/number of tourists?
    cant see the amount of tourists going to turkey increasing massively but there seems to be loads of new developments,where are renters gonna come from for all these properties ? what makes turkey attractive to european holiday makers? i know people who went there because it was cheap to eat drink etc but it wont stay cheap for much longer then people will go to closer resorts in spain italy portugal etc.
    turkey is also suseptible to powerful earthquakes and politcal risk ,a premium is required for these or at least good insurance.
    ive heard talk of a proposed law banning foreign land/property ownership in turkey and theres the risk of radical islam attacking resorts(turkey is 90%sunni muslim and 16 %unemployment exists fueling anger of young sunni men) and then values will plummett

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement