Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Mellor wrote: »
    . Tough sport on the body.

^THIS^ I concur 100%.having had the misfortune of attending a "rugby " secondary school and having had the dubious honour of having "the claw" as one of my classmates,:rolleyes:up to the Inter way back when.
    It was utter sacrilege and social ostracisation not to play rugby for the school, esp if you were a big lad like me back then. [Prop Fwd for the time I had to play it]
    I'm so glad I didn't go any further, as I meet occasionally the class of 84 seniors in my travels, and ALL of them have some kind of bollixed joints, backs, necks or other with arthritis,or rheumatism in their mid-50s. You can, and most likely will pay a heavy price for your high school "Glory days" in later life.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Some christmas shopping online.

Well intresting,and definately negates any future gun bans.Anywhere.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Oh yeah, the FGC-9. It would be much more effective to regulate ammunition, casings in particular. I believe there was someone in the UK, P.A. Luty I think, who made a sub-machine gun and documented the process. Unfortunately his design was used by the Halle shooter. But I do think that bullet casings should be more regulated.

Except tha he had also printed his ammo casings tooo.

• Advertisement

Of course he did. I didn't think that plastic could withstand the pressure but I was wrong.

Western Europe ? France i wonder ? Seeing what was going on in Paris and a good few other cities over there last night, they don't seem too happy.

Definitely, going by the two-pin plugs in the sockets around Mr Starks abode.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tudderone wrote: »
    Western Europe ? France i wonder ? Seeing what was going on in Paris and a good few other cities over there last night, they don't seem too happy.

Definitely western Europe. But his accent and phrasing (despite the concealment) suggests somewhere Germanic. Reloadng powders are czech which doesn't mean much.

It's a very interesting exercise in small scale design and production. I got the impression that he doesn't get to use it much outdoors. So I was wondering what the life span on it. A stress test would be interesting but not practical when he can't turn up to a range and run boxes through it.
    I agree with his idea that he needs to protect his rights. But I don't quite understand that how he thinks he is actually going to do it. A tyrant emerges, and a handful of guys with a few dozen 9mm rounds aren't going to do anything.

Definitely western Europe. But his accent and phrasing (despite the concealment) suggests somewhere Germanic. Reloadng powders are czech which doesn't mean much.

It's a very interesting exercise in small scale design and production. I got the impression that he doesn't get to use it much outdoors. So I was wondering what the life span on it. A stress test would be interesting but not practical when he can't turn up to a range and run boxes through it.
    I agree with his idea that he needs to protect his rights. But I don't quite understand that how he thinks he is actually going to do it. A tyrant emerges, and a handful of guys with a few dozen 9mm rounds aren't going to do anything.

Plenty of tyrants out there, but they come along not with soldiers dogs and guns, but a manipulated media, soothing words and smiling face. A fact that came about with the US election, for the past few elections, is that young people and probably older people too, no longer believe democracy works.

The plastic guns ? My first pistol was a glock. I was dubious about its plastic contruction, despite their reputation, I'm old enough to remember when everything was made of metal, and plastic was cheap rubbish. But you could squeeze the grip and watch it flex, you could bend the frame under the barrel, but it worked flawlessly and took the battering of the slide no problem.

• Advertisement

Plenty of tyrants out there, but they come along not with soldiers dogs and guns, but a manipulated media, soothing words and smiling face.
    There are plenty of tyrants out there. Many countries are under an authoritarian regime, or even totalitarian in come cases. Not as many as one before, but they exist.
    My point was that, at numerous times, the guy spoke about protecting himself against a tyrant or tyrannical government. I'm wondering if he genuinely believes literally. Does he think that if the worst would happen. He would actually be out there shooting people.
    Or was is it simply a demonstration that over restricted gun control encourages the development of uncontrollable firearms.

In the case of the latter, it's very effective imo. But at times, he came across like it was not that at all. Saying things like;
    "This protects my freedom of speech."
    I'm wondering if he actually believes that. How?
    A fact that came about with the US election, for the past few elections, is that young people and probably older people too, no longer believe democracy works.
    I'm not sure what you mean by democracy not working.
    The election was a fairly basic example of how democracy works.

The issue is that the US is so polarised that wide margin lose still means close to 50% of the voters went on the "losing" side. And they are increasingly refusing to accept losing. That's a massive failing of the people imo.

The plastic guns ? My first pistol was a glock. I was dubious about its plastic contruction, despite their reputation, I'm old enough to remember when everything was made of metal, and plastic was cheap rubbish. But you could squeeze the grip and watch it flex, you could bend the frame under the barrel, but it worked flawlessly and took the battering of the slide no problem.

Cheap plastic crap was cheap because it could be molded in thin 1mm thick sections. But solid plastic is fairly strong. Used n construction all the time. I've never held a glock, but I'm not one surprise they are robust.

However, the glock still had key metal parts like the barrel and slide. 100% plastic is a bit of a tech jump from there. But I'm still not surprised that a plastic firearm can function. For me it's the fact that it's 3d printed which is structurally very different to a some cast or mold into one piece.

I'd tip that he is German, as I had a listen to a few of the Lbary podcasts and he does have certain German inflexions on the English accent.A giveaway on people who have learned English in Europe in recent times. None speak the queens English:pac: They all have American influence on their phraseology etc.

Anyhoo,I think his point is now that gun control and "tyranny" whether active or a slow malignant cancerous format, or "boiling the frog slowly" that we suffer more of in the West, has lost one of its nastier fangs of gun control thru the technology of 3 D printing. We have been here before, with the crossbow, the printing press, the PGP encryption software, and now3d printable guns.

There is no way to really stop this technology falling into civilian hands." you cant stop the signal" as the info is on the web and block chained, these guys are super careful in their internet habits, controlling 3D printers is not going to happen. They are now at 150 euros on Ali express, ditto the plastic printing materials, and even if you did license them, there is nothing stopping anyone building one with a licensed 3d printer and spare parts. You could make it an "offence " like in the UK to "download or possess information likely to be of use to a terrorist or organisation" IE the files themselves.But that's a spiderweb of protection and a non-knowledge of how the Net works or VPNs etc, and would require the global consensus of net regulation.
    Only thing I can see that's just about controllable is,the powder and primers for the ammo,or peoples unwillingness to learn CAD and some basic programming skills.

Endurance of the gun is moot really, as this is a throwaway device. Good enough to get you something better off your enemy, or to build a couple to have handy.

I certainly could see it as being a game-changer in places like Venezuela or Hong Kong or the US where gun control to ever kick off properly.
    Sleepy Joe's 200usd mag tax won't happen if people can print up their mags...As an aside on that, it is confirmed...Not ONE high cap mag has been handed in in NY or NJ to LE since the ban 3 years ago...

So guess how many "assault weapons of war"[the new anti buzzterm] will be handed in?And guess how much fun there will be with the "buyback" those idiots are proposing? Flogging them a fortune in 10 dollar 3d printed guns made from Home depot springs and barrels for hundreds?:p:p:p

4 or 5 decentralised printers making the component parts in a "cell" Another "cell" buying the springs,or making the trigger parts and barrel out of steel rod [soon to be printable too no doubt] All being delivered to one assembly point, and distributed via cutoffs.
    Another cell printing the ammo...All you need as a resistance leader is to figure out where you get enough powder and primers or fresh 9mm to keep a loaded ammo supply to your fighters.
    Intresting times ....

I
    'm not sure what you mean by democracy not working.
    The election was a fairly basic example of how democracy works.

The issue is that the US is so polarised that wide margin lose still means close to 50% of the voters went on the "losing" side. And they are increasingly refusing to accept losing. That's a massive failing of the people imo.

Democracy is the tyranny of the majority. Hence many Communist states have "democratic" in their titles.
    Constitutionalist Republicanism[what the US and Irl and supposedly most Western countries are based on] is the protection of the minority from the majority's tyranny.

At this stage, it is not about losing, but about the utter irregularities that are beginning to show up, and MSM to the contrary,are creditable and are grounds to question the whole election process. There is no question by now this will go to the supreme court.

What i meant was, a sizeable amount of people don't see any real difference between the dem's and the republicans, tweedle dum and tweedle dee, or fine gael and fianna fail, so give up and don't bother voting anyway.

I'd tip that he is German, as I had a listen to a few of the Lbary podcasts and he does have certain German inflexions on the English accent.A giveaway on people who have learned English in Europe in recent times. None speak the queens English:pac: They all have American influence on their phraseology etc.

Anyhoo,I think his point is now that gun control and "tyranny" whether active or a slow malignant cancerous format, or "boiling the frog slowly" that we suffer more of in the West, has lost one of its nastier fangs of gun control thru the technology of 3 D printing. We have been here before, with the crossbow, the printing press, the PGP encryption software, and now3d printable guns.

There is no way to really stop this technology falling into civilian hands." you cant stop the signal" as the info is on the web and block chained, these guys are super careful in their internet habits, controlling 3D printers is not going to happen. They are now at 150 euros on Ali express, ditto the plastic printing materials, and even if you did license them, there is nothing stopping anyone building one with a licensed 3d printer and spare parts. You could make it an "offence " like in the UK to "download or possess information likely to be of use to a terrorist or organisation" IE the files themselves.But that's a spiderweb of protection and a non-knowledge of how the Net works or VPNs etc, and would require the global consensus of net regulation.
    Only thing I can see that's just about controllable is,the powder and primers for the ammo,or peoples unwillingness to learn CAD and some basic programming skills.

Endurance of the gun is moot really, as this is a throwaway device. Good enough to get you something better off your enemy, or to build a couple to have handy.

I certainly could see it as being a game-changer in places like Venezuela or Hong Kong or the US where gun control to ever kick off properly.
    Sleepy Joe's 200usd mag tax won't happen if people can print up their mags...As an aside on that, it is confirmed...Not ONE high cap mag has been handed in in NY or NJ to LE since the ban 3 years ago...

So guess how many "assault weapons of war"[the new anti buzzterm] will be handed in?And guess how much fun there will be with the "buyback" those idiots are proposing? Flogging them a fortune in 10 dollar 3d printed guns made from Home depot springs and barrels for hundreds?:p:p:p

4 or 5 decentralised printers making the component parts in a "cell" Another "cell" buying the springs,or making the trigger parts and barrel out of steel rod [soon to be printable too no doubt] All being delivered to one assembly point, and distributed via cutoffs.
    Another cell printing the ammo...All you need as a resistance leader is to figure out where you get enough powder and primers or fresh 9mm to keep a loaded ammo supply to your fighters.
    Intresting times ....

I was going to buy an Ender 3, which are supposed to be an excellent printer, to use inside the house when it gets too cold to use the lathe and mill out in the shed. Just for something to mess around with, its a hobby in itself. I recommend Naomi Wu's (aka sexy cyborg) channel ;)

Intresting times ....

I’d say that he’s Dutch, I know a Dutch lad and the accent is quite similar. Notice the difference between the pronunciation of “th” sounds, different to the German and French “zee” sounds. It’s not as harsh as the German accent or as linguistic as the French, but is somewhere in between. Also German’s gun laws aren’t too bad, whereas the Netherlands’ laws are very restrictive. Anyway that just my guess.

Also regarding the high cap mags, didn’t the California Supreme Court find that the ban was unconstitutional?

If you go up to the German coastline around Friesland, Helgoland and such the Dutch and German is almost the same in accents "Platt Deutsch" can be as incomprehensible to A German from Berlin or Bavaria as someone speaking Donegal Gaelic in Kerry.Its a mix of Dutch and German. The Dutch speak English with a kind of a burr in their accents which stands out too. He is definitely from that part of the world alright.
    Wonder was that filmed than in the foothills of the Ardennes region? Only kind of mountainous region with a forest that Holland has then I think?
    Also regarding the high cap mags, didn’t the California Supreme Court find that the ban was unconstitutional?

Yup,but ASFIK the state is appealing it, so it's still there.

If you go up to the German coastline around Friesland, Helgoland and such the Dutch and German is almost the same in accents "Platt Deutsch" can be as incomprehensible to A German from Berlin or Bavaria as someone speaking Donegal Gaelic in Kerry.Its a mix of Dutch and German. The Dutch speak English with a kind of a burr in their accents which stands out too. He is definitely from that part of the world alright.
    Wonder was that filmed than in the foothills of the Ardennes region? Only kind of mountainous region with a forest that Holland has then I think?

Yup,but ASFIK the state is appealing it, so it's still there.

Yeah I was thinking the exact same as yourself, to be fair he wasn't in much of a mountain perhaps more of a depression in the terrain but it could very well be the Ardennes. If you do a lot of research and analysis you could definitely get a rough area just from the type of trees and rocks. I've only ever been to Amsterdam and Bavaria, not the Dutch countryside so I'm not familiar with that terrain.

Shame, one would have thought that the "shall not be infringed" part would have been pretty cut and dry but then again, looks who's in charge in California.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

What i meant was, a sizeable amount of people don't see any real difference between the dem's and the republicans, tweedle dum and tweedle dee, or fine gael and fianna fail, so give up and don't bother voting anyway.

People died for the right for you to vote for your own government.

You might not respect that and that's totally your prerogative, but don't complain about politics or politicians if you can't be bothered to get up off your arse and exercise that right.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

You might not respect that and that's totally your prerogative, but don't complain about politics or politicians if you can't be bothered to get up off your arse and exercise that right.

Whats all this you you you bs, where did i say i didn't vote ?

• Advertisement

The system will never change. It's all a con. If you vote you are giving them a mandate to rule over you. The only way to remove that mandate and try to effect real change is if enough people don't vote. Then the political class has to admit the system is broken and start offering real alternatives to the people.

I've always voted and always complained. I will no longer vote and will still complain. I never consented to being ruled in this backward system by backward people. If you vote you can't complain because you get what you vote for.

The system will never change. It's all a con. If you vote you are giving them a mandate to rule over you. The only way to remove that mandate and try to effect real change is if enough people don't vote. Then the political class has to admit the system is broken and start offering real alternatives to the people.

I've always voted and always complained. I will no longer vote and will still complain. I never consented to being ruled in this backward system by backward people. If you vote you can't complain because you get what you vote for.

Funnily enough this is exactly what they did in the Soviet Union. There was only one candidate per district or electorate but they needed over 50% of the registered voters votes to be elected, so people banded together and boycotted votes unless change was promised. So yeah, this is certainly a possibility but politicians don't need a minimum vote so unless they're threatened as a collective then no change will occur.

Funnily enough this is exactly what they did in the Soviet Union. There was only one candidate per district or electorate but they needed over 50% of the registered voters votes to be elected, so people banded together and boycotted votes unless change was promised. So yeah, this is certainly a possibility but politicians don't need a minimum vote so unless they're threatened as a collective then no change will occur.

But if voter turnout is so low that they have to acknowledge it, it will effect change. Media is obsessed with voter turnout. Politicians want as many to vote as possible as it makes it more legit.

Whats all this you you you bs, where did i say i didn't vote ?

Ooops my mistake and my apologies. Sometimes I speed read and shoot from the hip.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I
    Democracy is the tyranny of the majority. Hence many Communist states have "democratic" in their titles.
    Constitutionalist Republicanism[what the US and Irl and supposedly most Western countries are based on] is the protection of the minority from the majority's tyranny.

Calling democracy a tyranny is an oxymoron. If a state governed by a tyrannt, then it’s straight forward to take them out of power - if you can’t its not democracy.
    Constitutionalist Republicanism is also democracy (hence democratic republic), it’s also know as liberal democracy.

A communist state having democracy in the title doesn’t make them a democracy. And it’s probably more common for republic to be in the title.

Okay, I've read this a few times, slowly.

It makes no sense whatsoever, to me.

How does not voting elicit change? Outside of a one party one party state (example above).

Why can you not complain if you vote? You get what you vote for only applies if your guy wins. If you voted for the other guy then complain away.

How does not voting elicit change? Outside of a one party one party state (example above).

Why can you not complain if you vote? You get what you vote for only applies if your guy wins. If you voted for the other guy then complain away.

I don't agree with how our political system is set up here. If you vote in this system nothing will change. It will always be the same parish pump political bs. When you don't vote in this system, the powers that be will see that things are broken politically in this country. There are other ways to run a country and the idea is that these ideas will be explored. Such as direct democracy or an executive government. I think it's obvious that our current system doesn't work.

So, by voting you continue the current bs that has always been. At least by not voting you have a chance of changing things.

Ooops my mistake and my apologies. Sometimes I speed read and shoot from the hip.

No probs

• Advertisement

Okay, I've read this a few times, slowly.

It makes no sense whatsoever, to me.

It doesn't matter who you vote for, things stay the same. If no one votes then alternative systems will have to be proposed. Such as direct democracy for example. It's impossible to hold politicans accountable for their actions if they can screw the whole country but get re-elected because they look after their constituents.

As it is there will never be a way to vote for real change. Anyone that promises change are usually lying to get power.

We need a system that takes the power from the politicans and makes the citizen more accountable. Like a direct democracy type of system.

Advertisement