Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

blackwhite wrote: »
    Likely split responsibility
    Surely it's the cyclists fault for not using a cycle path and forcing the driver to overtake?
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭standardg60

blackwhite wrote: »
    Likely split responsibility

Not supposed to overtake when there’s a solid white line. Also not supposed to overtake if there’s a side road or entrance that you’ll be over the centre line whilst passing

Equally well, not supposed to enter the roadway unless you can see it’s clear - so fault attributable to both sides if anything were to happen

Would be madness to turn on to a more primary road without checking both directions regardless which way you're turning or whether there's a solid white line. In fairness to the truck driver i don't see that he was actually proceeding, the overtaking car braked just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Surely it's the cyclists fault for not using a cycle path and forcing the driver to overtake?
    ;)

I reported this pass just before the first Covid lock down and got a call in early April from the garda investigating. They had made contact with the driver and I had frustrated him by not using the cycle lane forcing him to overtake me.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing the guard went on to say the lengths gone to to track down the driver and that there wasn't much more they could do.

I was fuming but there was much bigger things going on in the world so I made the point that there was no obligation for me to use the cycle lane something the guard wouldn't agree or disagree on and I just said to leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tnegun wrote: »
    I reported this pass just before the first Covid lock down and got a call in early April from the garda investigating. They had made contact with the driver and I had frustrated him by not using the cycle lane forcing him to overtake me.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing the guard went on to say the lengths gone to to track down the driver and that there wasn't much more they could do.

I was fuming but there was much bigger things going on in the world so I made the point that there was no obligation for me to use the cycle lane something the guard wouldn't agree or disagree on and I just said to leave it.

I wonder can you get the drivers insurance details?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭standardg60

Just goes to show it all depends on who the guard is, someone actually interested in doing justice to their job or the next line in the family getting the handy number.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »

Unfortunately being a d1ck and trying to intimidate a cyclist by driving up to their back wheel then beeping and passing too close isn't something you can claim for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

the guard went on to say the lengths gone to to track down the driver and that there wasn't much more they could do.

Surely, it doesn't take long to find out the address the car registered to.

They gave me some speil about getting the local guard to make contact and call to the house as the car was registered to a woman and I had reported a male driver - I had had words with him at a the next set of lights and his attitude convienced me to report it - anyway it was his wifes car and he had a long day at work or something then I got in his way forcing him to pass and he temporarialy lost his cool as there was a cycle lane I should of been using. I was getting angry myself listening to this and then I was told about how much effort went into getting me this story like I was expected to apologize for wasting their time! As I said it was early covid so I was aware the guards time was better spent than arguing with me so I just let it go on he basis that this guy now knew the guards could come knocking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,194 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chiparus wrote: »
    to what end? there's nothing actionable, insurance wise, there.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

avid cyclist here . Why didn't you use the cycle lane ? Still no excuse for the drivers dangerous behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,288 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

avid cyclist here . Why didn't you use the cycle lane ? Still no excuse for the drivers dangerous behaviour.

Avid drivist here, with 25 reasons not to use cycle lanes.
    https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Avid drivist here, with 25 reasons not to use cycle lanes.
    https://irishcycle.com/2015/11/05/images-25-reasons-why-cyclists-dont-use-cycle-lanes

I think he was asking specifically about that cycle lane, unless all 25 of those reasons apply!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Shared space, very dangerous to use. You can even see a ped and dog using it in the video. Far safer for everyone to use the road. Also loose priority at every junction there.

Its just awful, kerbs, junctions, dogs and people walking in it plus two roundabouts you need to get through but have been dumped on a side road.

With extremely few exceptions, cycle lanes in Ireland are not designed for cyclists, nor are the designers familiar with cycling - this is obvious from their design.
    To date, most cycle lanes are designed to help ensure that vehicles don't get delayed, no other reason. In many cases, cycle lanes can decrease safety for bike users.
    The government know this (and to date have done nothing much about it) but it is for this reason that they are not mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

With extremely few exceptions, cycle lanes in Ireland are not designed for cyclists, nor are the designers familiar with cycling - this is obvious from their design.
    To date, most cycle lanes are designed to help ensure that vehicles don't get delayed, no other reason. In many cases, cycle lanes can decrease safety for bike users.
    The government know this (and to date have done nothing much about it) but it is for this reason that they are not mandatory.

should have qualified my comment with . Avid cyclist in germany. no comparison to Ireland, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Lad on an electric scooter coming salmoning up the now protected, one way cycle lane on Church Street this evening, with vehicular traffic proceeding along on the other side of the bollards. I stopped dead and then eased past him as he gawked at me with his mouth open.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Breezer wrote: »
    Lad on an electric scooter coming salmoning up the now protected, one way cycle lane on Church Street this evening, with vehicular traffic proceeding along on the other side of the bollards. I stopped dead and then eased past him as he gawked at me with his mouth open.

Lad who looks like he's been through 40yrs of substance abuse flying around on one on pedestrian routes all day today. Surprised to see the helmet.

should have qualified my comment with . Avid cyclist in germany. no comparison to Ireland, unfortunately.

I had a look back over the stuff I'd uploaded to streamable for incidents caused by using or occurring in cycle lanes here's a few showing the general state of cycle lanes in these country and these are probably some of our better ones! Certainly some were only a few weeks/months old in these videos.

Pinched

Plenty of room to squeeze in a lane here

Brand new lane complete with signs and traffic signals bonus pedestrian at the end

I'm turning left now

I'm going left now

Me too

Another pinch

Another brand new lane You can't really see it but just were the video starts it was decided to put a bus stop in the new lane after it was completed despite loads of room to do both at the planning stage!

Same lane another reason not to use it

Not using the same lane here encourages stupid passes so that you'll use it the next time I think is the logic

Another new lane being used as a turning bay

Bike what bike???

Two for one close call with car and truck then poor transition from brand new lane to the road.

Is it just me or is streamable an absolute pox for buffering ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Enfilade wrote: »
    Is it just me or is streamable an absolute pox for buffering ?

It's the same for me

It's the same for me

I watch my wifi icon in the system tray on the bottom right of my desktop when I click a link and it goes down to zero bars !!!! I'm going to have to have a good look into that, I've never seen any other website do that even if it's buffering and slow.

Normally its fine for me but seems to be something up with it tonight

I had a look back over the stuff I'd uploaded to streamable for incidents caused by using or occurring in cycle lanes here's a few showing the general state of cycle lanes in these country and these are probably some of our better ones! Certainly some were only a few weeks/months old in these videos.

Pinched

Plenty of room to squeeze in a lane here

Brand new lane complete with signs and traffic signals bonus pedestrian at the end

I'm turning left now

I'm going left now

Me too

Another pinch

Another brand new lane You can't really see it but just were the video starts it was decided to put a bus stop in the new lane after it was completed despite loads of room to do both at the planning stage!

Same lane another reason not to use it

Not using the same lane here encourages stupid passes so that you'll use it the next time I think is the logic

Another new lane being used as a turning bay

Bike what bike???

Two for one close call with car and truck then poor transition from brand new lane to the road.
    When I first saw the one near Maynooth, I decided to never use it. The end if it is a death trap!
    The one along the new road outside Intel is poor mainly because of the merge onto the road. People on bikes are given no merging room and are directed out into manholes on a slight bend. You're better off on the road IMO.

Yeah there are some pretty poor ones around Maynooth, I stay out of most now and can say I've given them a chance! There was a cyclist down on the Straffen road this afternoon at one of the lanes that gives right of way across an entrance to an estate was left hooked and the bike crushed. Thankfully he was up and about but with comments that he was traveling too fast for the driver to see :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yeah there are some pretty poor ones around Maynooth, I stay out of most now and can say I've given them a chance! There was a cyclist down on the Straffen road this afternoon at one of the lanes that gives right of way across an entrance to an estate was left hooked and the bike crushed. Thankfully he was up and about but with comments that he was traveling too fast for the driver to see :rolleyes:

"Cyclist achieves faster than light speed travel"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Cycling up Kellystown Road earlier with son. Coming up to this corner: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Uo5Zy4o5UWJNnVDb7

Going slowly after the long pull up the hill. Coming to the blind and I hear car behind. I hear it drop down gears, assuming its going to go really slow while we round the completely blind bend. Then the revs raise. So I turn and hold my hand up, taking the middle of the road, telling them to stop. I decide to idle back to have a word.

He rolls down window. Very politely I ask "were you really planning overtaking us on a blind bend". For those who don't know it, only one car fits the width of the road. He considers his response "you should use the main road". Drives off.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

He rolls down window. Very politely I ask "were you really planning overtaking us on a blind bend". For those who don't know it, only one car fits the width of the road. He considers his response "you should use the main road". Drives off.

Dear f*cking lord, you really cannot win. On the main road you'd be given out too for not using quieter roads. Use quieter roads and you get this sh1t. Cycle on the path and people give you dirty looks because whether you sow down or not for passing them to close, you cycle on the road to avoid pissing off peds and you have motorists trying to skim you even though they can see the lane is blocked by others.

What do people f*cking want.

Hope your son is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear f*cking lord, you really cannot win. On the main road you'd be given out too for not using quieter roads. Use quieter roads and you get this sh1t. Cycle on the path and people give you dirty looks because whether you sow down or not for passing them to close, you cycle on the road to avoid pissing off peds and you have motorists trying to skim you even though they can see the lane is blocked by others.

What do people f*cking want.

Hope your son is OK

With the ongoing saga on the Dun Laoghaire open forum on FB over the new cycle tracks you have one fool reckoning that cyclists congregating (in groups) are spreading Covid 19 wherever they go (this is pre level 3). Another one - a persistent whinger, claiming NOT to be anti-cyclist, reckons that rather than them being on the road they should be on a raised structure on stilts along the coast - the glaring dangers seemingly passing him by. You'd really have to wonder how some people's minds work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

With the ongoing saga on the Dun Laoghaire open forum on FB over the new cycle tracks you have one fool reckoning that cyclists congregating (in groups) are spreading Covid 19 wherever they go (this is pre level 3). Another one - a persistent whinger, claiming NOT to be anti-cyclist, reckons that rather than them being on the road they should be on a raised structure on stilts along the coast - the glaring dangers seemingly passing him by. You'd really have to wonder how some people's minds work.

The I've no problem with cyclists attitude......but don't be cycling anywhere around me

Advertisement