Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Covid 19 & newborn

• 11-03-2020 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm due next week and have to say I'm not thrilled I'll be giving birth in the middle of a pandemic. :/ Are any other soon to be mums/new mums feeling a bit more uneasy about the safety of a newborn at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I’m due next week as well and not super worried. We’ll be limiting visitors if needed and it will be immediate family only anyway. I would assume they have enough cop on to not visit if it’s risky. Will be breastfeeding as well and limited analysis has shown BM has antibodies to fight it. More worried about my husband coming into contact with someone and having to self isolate and not be able to be at the birth.

Due the 25th and anxious. My husband is also a healthcare professional in critical care, so I'm worried about him too. Apart from anything else he's likely to be very busy in work for the first few months after the birth. Having just moved to a new area and knowing I'll be alone a great deal of the time with a newborn in the middle of a pandemic is not how I hoped to start family life, but there's no point in getting too upset about it when all we can do is just get on with it.

All we can do is follow the advice and wait for the worst to pass. I've stocked up on nappies of various sizes, cleaning fluids, formula (I plan to BF, but just in case I get ill myself I wanted to make sure there was something in reserve), wipes, rubbish bags, medications and dry goods, and other hygiene things like washing detergent and toiletries. I'm basically resigned to being at home for the next few months.

It's not ideal, but I'm trying not to let the anxiety spoil what should be a special time. We'll all cope as best we can, it's all we really can do. Best of luck to you, I hope everything works out okay - I'm sure it will. Try stay optimistic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

An already mammy here! Vistors is the thing I'd be most worried about, limit as much as possible. It can be a good idea to have the baby in a sling if visitors are over or when you are out and about to minimise unwanted touching. Breastfeeding will ensure baby gets your antibodies on an ongoing basis, more of an advantage now than usual. And remember no deaths to date for small children so try not to worry x

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

It's mainly the few days in the hospital I'm worried about. Hospitals are petrie dishes at the best of times. Once we get home I'm happy to board up the doors and windows and not let anyone come near 😄

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

shesty wrote: »
    Family member gave birth in CUMH recently and nobody was allowed in.Mammies and partners only, no visitors.I would imagine they aren't the only one with that policy at this stage.There isn't much else you can do, really.

Would love if this was the policy all the time, sounds great!

Best of luck to all you ladies having babies soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭izzyflusky

I'm due tomorrow, giving birth at the Coombe as well, there are signs everywhere saying that only designated birth partners are allowed or parents of babies in NICU.

I had an appointment on Tuesday and the first thing they asked when checking is if I had visited or been in contact with people who have been in a list of countries for the past 2 weeks. Also seem to be getting texts prior to appointments to ring a certain number of displaying symptoms instead of going in.

I'm hoping to have a quick discharge (everything going well) anyway. With my second I was told I could go after 4 hours if everything was ok, but he was born in the evening so had to spend the night and was allowed go home first thing in the morning after doctors rounds... Hoping for something similar.
    Apart from that I will be breastfeeding which gives some peace of mind.

In laws are Italian and Spanish so unfortunately they won't be able to visit anymore after baby's arrival for the time being...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

All hospitals have strict visitor restrictions and the only person who will be able to visit you will be your partner so I'm not too worried about there being a risk of infection on the post natal ward.

Up to you then to decide whether you're happy for people to visit at home or not.

I'm not too concerned at the moment.

Slight worry that if the situation escalates rapidly then even birth partners wont be admitted to delivery suites. Due in 5 weeks so who knows what the situation will be then!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

It is definitely concerning 😞 I'll be giving birth in Limerick Maternity and very happy that they have restricted visitors to just the birthing partner.

I'm going to ask at my next appointment whether I can avail of the early transfer home programme as want to spend as little time as possible in the hospital. After we come home will definitely be limiting visitors to immediate family only (if at all). I think we'll try and keep the birth as quiet as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

raheny red wrote: »

So after having your baby and once you are moved to a ward/room postnatally you have zero support from your partner?!?! That’s gonna be so hard.

raheny red wrote: »

Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.

Sprites wrote: »
    Gosh that's going to be tough on Dads and partners aswell as mothers especially if you have an extended stay after the birth.

It’s going to be very tough and maybe it’s an incentive to leave the hospital quicker than you would usually. I know for my last two pregnancies I used to be counting the mins until hubby came in so u could have a rest. New babies don’t sleep all that much.

Holles st seems to allow the partner/birth parent postnatally.
    http://www.nmh.ie/news.181.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

No dads even for the NICU babies in the Rotunda. So hard on parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Rotunda is the only one banning partners. It’s draconian and completely over the top. If partners have no symptoms of illness, surely they should be allowed to stay provided they adapt social distancing with staff members and other parents. If rotunda really want to be careful then give fathers a mask to wear also.

Studies have shown how important skin to skin contact with fathers is in the first few days. I really hope the rotunda see sense on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

Mother of a 13 day old here and I am restricting all visitors outside of our immediate families and aren’t taking the baby anywhere. It’s a pity as I thought I’d be spending my maternity leave walking to local coffee shops, mommy and baby groups, baby swim lessons etc.

paulers06 wrote: »
    Mother of a 13 day old here and I am restricting all visitors outside of our immediate families and aren’t taking the baby anywhere. It’s a pity as I thought I’d be spending my maternity leave walking to local coffee shops, mommy and baby groups, baby swim lessons etc.

You are doing the right thing to protect yourselves it does feel like an awful time to be giving birth the excitement of being due is definitely being overshadowed with fear.. Like that was so excited to be going to baby groups, coffee shops and swimming instead we need to be in isolation (beats the alternative I know!)

Newborn baby diagnosed in the UK, they are unsure whether passed on during the birth or not

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭anndub

Harpon wrote: »
    Rotunda is the only one banning partners. It’s draconian and completely over the top. If partners have no symptoms of illness, surely they should be allowed to stay provided they adapt social distancing with staff members and other parents. If rotunda really want to be careful then give fathers a mask to wear also.

Studies have shown how important skin to skin contact with fathers is in the first few days. I really hope the rotunda see sense on this matter.

I'd have to disagree with you on this. Anything less is neglectful in my opinion. This virus is spread by the hands predominantly. There are no measures that can be put in place to ensure all visitors, including birth partners, will not deposit the virus on doors, stair rails, lifts, beds, chairs etc. Hospital management have a duty of care to their patients and to their staff. Can you imagine the implications if a father were to test positive having had free reign in the hospital for 4 or 5 days running? Staff would need to go into isolation and babies and mother's sharing the ward would be put at unnecessary risk.

It will be hard, especially for those having sections and first timers but it's likely to ensure most mother's proceed home very quickly and therefore staff may have more time to help out on the wards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Nickibaby* wrote:
    Newborn baby diagnosed in the UK, they are unsure whether passed on during the birth or not

Oh sh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

What are our rights as pregnant women during this period?

My employer is considering short time and temporary lay offs.

I think to be put on short time, similar selection criteria To those for redundancies will apply.

For temporary lay off, it seems to me that the entire business most close down for a short period of time.

Would anyone know if this is correct?

Touchee wrote: »
    What are our rights as pregnant women during this period?

My employer is considering short time and temporary lay offs.

I think to be put on short time, similar selection criteria To those for redundancies will apply.

For temporary lay off, it seems to me that the entire business most close down for a short period of time.

Would anyone know if this is correct?

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/00964f-people-who-are-laid-off-temporarily-or-put-on-to-short-time-working/

Not sure if you're correct that the entire business would have to shut down, I'm sure there are instances where business only need to place part of their workforce on temporary lay off

Sprites wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/00964f-people-who-are-laid-off-temporarily-or-put-on-to-short-time-working/

Not sure if you're correct that the entire business would have to shut down, I'm sure there are instances where business only need to place part of their workforce on temporary lay off
    I think you are right when only part of the workforce is needed they can put a certain number of staff on short time working etc due to 'business needs' they would have to be transparent on their criteria for selection though and any change to working hours for a pregnant person I'm sure they will be very cautious about for fear of discrimination claims..

Government has asked employers to pay employees affected at least €203 per week where they have to cease trading https://www.thesun.ie/news/5209276/coronavirus-in-ireland-government-employers-pay-workers-e203/

https://rise.articulate.com/share/j_A9M2VrxvdeZgDiCbBTEw0lCvNoeTMX#/

Good presentation from National Maternity Hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Uptheduff

I've been told by my hospital that not even partners can visit the maternity ward now. They can be present for active labour, that's it. Here's hoping for a complication free labour and a speedy discharge. Strange times indeed.

• Advertisement

Uptheduff wrote: »
    I've been told by my hospital that not even partners can visit the maternity ward now. They can be present for active labour, that's it. Here's hoping for a complication free labour and a speedy discharge. Strange times indeed.

Which hospital are you attending? I'm in a group ON Facebook where a lady who is 37 weeks has been told all antenatal clinic appointments are cancelled and she should call ahead and present at A&E when her labour starts. She will be gowned up and sent up to the maternity suite. No birth partner will be permitted.

I've been fairly calm about the situation up to this but at 35 +5 myself I'm starting to worry now that my husband wont be allowed to accompany me during delivery.

Advertisement