Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody have a stock market crash wish list?

• 28-09-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi guys,

I’d be interested to know if any of you have a wish list of stocks to buy on sale during a market crash? I was considering getting a list together and doing some DD myself. I know nobody can accurately time market crashes but it would be nice to have a wish list of companies to buy at a discount(if possible)

Some companies I have my eye on are:
    Alibaba
    Constellation brands
    3M
    Tencent
    Northrop Grumman
    Lockheed Martin
    PayPal
    Apple
    Google
    Amazon
    P&G
    Disney

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Here's my wish list.

Apple
    Nike
    Home Depot
    Starbucks
    McDonald's
    Johnson & Johnson
    Microsoft
    Altria
    Philip Morris
    Abbott Labs
    AbbVie
    Medtronic
    Boeing
    3M
    Royal Bank of Canada
    Disney
    Coca-Cola
    PepsiCo
    Exxon Mobil
    BP
    Lowe's
    Colgate
    Procter & Gamble
    Royal Dutch Shell

Whenever the dividend adjusted PEG ratio is below one for any of the above then it's a no-brainer investment for me. They're the highest quality, lowest beta companies for me. Once invested in them selling is verboten. A market crash of 30%+ is manna from heaven as most if not all are all over priced. I have enough Exxon which is a buy. Would prefer Boeing as it's close to a purchase point.

Lockheed is a buy per the above but it can't be purchased via DeGiro at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

Is it a wish list or a regret list - ie I wish i bought these a few years ago?
    My regret list(personal circumstances prevented) from 2009 was:

Ffyees (.15)
    Datalex(.10)
    Smurfit (1.25)

The latter for some reason gets hammered when there's a crash.

Mach 3 wrote: »
    Is it a wish list or a regret list - ie I wish i bought these a few years ago?
    My regret list(personal circumstances prevented) from 2009 was:

Ffyees (.15)
    Datalex(.10)
    Smurfit (1.25)

The latter for some reason gets hammered when there's a crash.

True to form - Smurfit dropped a little over 20% this Month. Smurfit having a bit of an uptick today with European bourses.

Are many here buying their wishlists yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

Oil (though not a stock)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PrideandLuna

True to form - Smurfit dropped a little over 20% this Month. Smurfit having a bit of an uptick today with European bourses.

Are many here buying their wishlists yet?

I’m not entering anything at the moment. I think there is more correction to come. There is a major resistance that must hold on spy at about 253... if that breaks, carnage is coming IMO. Really we could be looking down to 180 or below.

GDP is still growing in the states but you’ve got a massive worldwide debt problem, look at Italy for god sake! Then you’ve got property bubbles about to burst, left right and centre.

I’m in all cash apart from one small long term speculative play (KHRN) which was playing out very nicely until the market started to act up.

What I am going to be looking at entering soon is some well funded uranium companies as I am liking the odds of a uranium boom in the next 2-5 years.

Then of course when the market gets really nasty I will be loading up on great companies on sale 🙌ðŸ»

• Advertisement

Found these statistics from Jack Schannep of the Down Theory very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Amazon is down 25% on it's peak.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Amazon is down 25% on it's peak.

Still overvalued IMO... well for an entry I’d be interested in.

Found these statistics from Jack Schannep of the Down Theory very interesting.

Call me cynical, but the fourth "*" has no relationship to the point the Author is trying to make?
    Couldn't be arsed checking if his stat's are right.

neris wrote: »
    Oil (though not a stock)

On the wish list or have you bought already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

On the wish list or have you bought already?

Wishlist. More to see a fall in the price reflected at the pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

BRK B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

BRK B

Up 10% since post. Easy money.

Seems apt to give this thread a *bump*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Apple
    Delta
    Coca Cola
    Mastercard
    Microsoft
    Tesla

Then to a lesser extent I'm willing to take a punt on
    - Uber
    - Snap

If I could only pick one it would be Apple. They're an incredible company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was waiting for someone to say Tesla that's one company could really stuggle with sustained low oil prices and consumer demand.

Virgin Galactic could do well out of all this if we have to vacate to the moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If I could only pick one it would be Apple. They're an incredible company.

The One Plus was voted phone of the year. The way technology is evolving they could get left behind in a short space of time. Just look at what happened to Nokia and Motorola but they still hold the title of some of the best selling phones ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

When is a much better question than what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭antimatterx

The One Plus was voted phone of the year. The way technology is evolving they could get left behind in a short space of time. Just look at what happened to Nokia and Motorola but they still hold the title of some of the best selling phones ever.

You do know apple is more than phones. Their wearable division is worth $200B, their services division is worth $200B. They have computers, accessories and more than hundreds of billions. Even if their phone division ever failed (never going to happen) they will be a solid division.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Surely Ryanair has strong 'bouncebackability'?
    Perhaps Flutter (PP)? Not a good week so far for favourites in Cheltenham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I came across Vmware today, down 40%/50% on the year but backed by Dell with a very strong customer base and strong product. Some issues with the SCC plus the pandemic has hit them hard.

Worth a big punt? Its sub $100 now but should be good for at least $150 when recovery happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

krissovo wrote: »
    I came across Vmware today, down 40%/50% on the year but backed by Dell with a very strong customer base and strong product. Some issues with the SCC plus the pandemic has hit them hard.

Worth a big punt? Its sub $100 now but should be good for at least $150 when recovery happens.

Interesting pick. With so much going towards cloud tech. Non VM clients just make no sense.
    I use VMware player myself, wonderful too. Very stable, never any crap. Solid product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MfMan wrote: »
    Surely Ryanair has strong 'bouncebackability'?
    Perhaps Flutter (PP)? Not a good week so far for favourites in Cheltenham.
    Have a look at the PP app, their homepage is currently offering a special on DEvante Rodney to score next for Halifax against Ebbsfleat. They're going to be one of the biggest impacted by the Corona shutdown - no sports = no betting = no income.

WarrenPortfolio-768x432.png

Always a bit sceptical when the you see some of these articles for free, but might be worth keeping an eye on these stocks all the same.

He has $128 billion cash at his disposal.

Source:https://www.ccn.com/warren-buffett-is-ready-to-pounce-on-this-stock-market-massacre/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Tomorrow will surely be another bloodbath, temporary halt in Egypt today and down around 7%, Dubai down 4%, hard to see anything but red in Europe after all thats been happening over the weekend, and US likely to follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Tomorrow will surely be another bloodbath, temporary halt in Egypt today and down around 7%, Dubai down 4%, hard to see anything but red in Europe after all thats been happening over the weekend, and US likely to follow suit

I reckon we see a rise over the coming week, which is not to say i think the bottom is in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What about the likes of Walt Disney etc, they will be mental I'm sure once covid has calmed down a bit all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,359 ✭✭✭Shedite27

What about the likes of Walt Disney etc, they will be mental I'm sure once covid has calmed down a bit all over.

I think nobody will deny that.

The conundrum is whether you should buy today at $86 to get the bump back to $150 or if you wait a month will they be at $50

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rally today followed by dump tomorrow if the pattern continues.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Villa05

Shedite27 wrote:
    The conundrum is whether you should buy today at $86 to get the bump back to $150 or if you wait a month will they be at $50

Heavy involvement in tourism. Theme Parks. cruises cinema closures etc. One would imagine there is a lot more damage to come before any rebound

Advertisement