Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lead ban

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

GooseB wrote: »
    Not necessarily

I had just copied a similar link to paste it on this thread haha

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

GooseB wrote: »
    Not necessarily

Can't see it for sale in ireland from a Web search anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Split the off topic posts into their Off topic thread..
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

One offering in this ammo type does not meaning anything in fact it demonstrates that no real alternative has yet been found.

They'd be better served dealing with plastics that are causing real issues than worrying about a natural metal that's used on every roof in the land and Km's of drinking water pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Mississippi.

They will fire steel shot but they will have to be proofed to say it's safe to fire steel. It's only newer guns that are proofed for steel.
    The older ones will need to be sent to England to be proofed as we have no proof house in this country.

Hi ,I'm just wondering what all is involved in proofing a shotgun.

Is it just firing some specific heavy loads through it in a controlled jig or something and then checking it for fractures or cracks?

Would it not be the case that a lighter proofed one would not explode right away and would only fail with prolonged use?

My own is stamped 65 MPa , I wonder if it was only tested to that or did they carry on testing to higher pressures in the factory till they determined the failing point?

It's fixed choke half and full so I guess it's not suitable for steel shot anyway.

Just some thoughts I have about it
    ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I seen pictures of barrels online that look like they have had straight rifling cut along them, wear from steel shot. Anyone i heard of using steel shot on game thought they were a very poor substitute for lead, lots of wounded birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I seen pictures of barrels online that look like they have had straight rifling cut along them, wear from steel shot. Anyone i heard of using steel shot on game thought they were a very poor substitute for lead, lots of wounded birds.

Personally I found that when shooting pigeons with steel shot I could get clean reliable kills only as far as 2/3 of the range I would reliably drop them with lead shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Ok so, doing a bit of research and I've got two shot guns in hand.
    The semi is good to go, manufactured / proofed and supplied with chokes (big difference in diameter between say a Mod Steel and Mod Lead choke tube) for steel shot. No problems as to function and safety.
    The O/U (French make) of undetermined age as yet, but the proof marks began in 1923. The model of the shoot gun starts around the late 60's but I suspect the shotgun itself is date around the early 1980's. The gun has 70mm chambers, Full & 1/2 chokes and is stamped 1,200 BAR.
    From what I'm reading (multiple international agencies and gun articles) the O/U should be good to go for Standard Steel Shot in both barrels:
    'Standard Steel cartridges can be fired through
    any gun proved to the standard level (ie most “Nitro” proved guns, proved to at least 930 bar) and through any choke'.
    ( https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php%3Fid%3D723&ved=2ahUKEwjdlbqMl83iAhWToXEKHb9IBmcQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2cbdc88aBolGPhhRRtpQAt).
    (BE AWARE: even with steel shot proofed guns it is not recommended to use a choke greater than a half for shot sizes BB (4.1mm) or larger).

Am I reading this right or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Shin Fein doing abit of bandwagon jumping on this issue?Or something more?

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-gun-laws-unworkable-without-farmer-and-owner-dialogue/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

Grizzly 45 wrote:

Maybe he just earning his corn I give him the benefit of the doubt on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/new-gun-laws-unworkable-without-farmer-and-owner-dialogue/

He's rural so he may actually be really representing the opinion of his electorate. An uncommon trait in a politician truth be told.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

This has not gone away, and after reading this, it shows what we're up against. The remarks at the bottom by the councillors, shows the type of idiots we vote for to represent us.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/434792/kildare-council-gun-motion-shot-down.html

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

Eddie B wrote: »
    This has not gone away, and after reading this, it shows what we're up against. The remarks at the bottom by the councillors, shows the type of idiots we vote for to represent us.

https://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/news/434792/kildare-council-gun-motion-shot-down.html

I should probably not be surprised any more about the level of ignorance surrounding shooting sports in Ireland.

The picture that the article leads with is quite frankly insulting.

There is an article in the Anglo celt that's far more informative and accurate. I cant link it from where I am now maybe Nec could post it

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Feel free to email the author. I have.

henry.bauress@leinsterleader.ie

Geeesh!! Why is it that we have to have people speaking about shooting in Ireland in politics on our behalf that are either;[1] Considerd redneck hill billies from Kerry or [2] from an orginasation that has been involved with terrorism for 35 years in Northern Ireland? With friends like these...

The article itself isnt bad,its what these councillors said that is more offensive.And it would behoove us to be emailing,writing and ringing them pointiong out their error of their ways.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

grassroot1 wrote: »
    There is an article in the Anglo celt that's far more informative and accurate. I cant link it from where I am now maybe Nec could post it

The Article in the Celt we hope will be available on line, chatting to a lad on the CRGC executive the reporter spoke to a lot of people and was very fair. When I read it I was very surprised at some inaccuracies from an individual who should really know better, but then again, I shouldn't have been surprised. It looks like the Whip is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

A lot of those comments from the politicians were the typical knee jerk populist tripe that is fashionable today, "we dont want to become America" and "there are far too many shotguns out there". That as usual is what can be expected from our leaders.
    I wonder would it have more to do with the party who brought the motion as opposed to the motion itself. How often have you seen a good idea shot down just because the wrong person came up with it.

Play the topic not the man.

Its too easy and lazy for a politician to take a cheap shot at the opposition. Im of the view that all Fine Gaelers are being whipped and the Fianna Fail lads dont want to open their mouths as it could be them in 10 months time left holding this crock of ****.

Sinn fein and Matt Carthy seems to be the only ones helping us here and are being vocal about it. As soon as another Politician comes out with vocal support I will be one of the first to thank them.

As for the article in the Leinster Leader, I would say that a 6th class newsletter reporter would have done better research and scripted a far better article for their Teacher, . Maybe it was only a report on a meeting but surely there should have been some background information.

I'd like to see a clear,conscise and acurate policy statement from SF,on fieldsports and gun ownership before I'd yay or nay them.They have been consistently all over the shop on these topics since before the Good Friday agreement.
    It seems to be a "whatever yer havin yourself!" policy.One councillor or TD might be for banning all coursing and fox hunting. 3 counties over there is another who is all for them!
    IN NI they are usually calling for gun bans and down here they are now supporting us on the lead shot ban???
    Seems to be abit of a cynical populist exercise IMO:rolleyes:,but the enemy of mine enemy an all that...

• Advertisement

I'd like to see a clear,conscise and acurate policy statement from SF,on fieldsports and gun ownership before I'd yay or nay them.They have been consistently all over the shop on these topics since before the Good Friday agreement.
    It seems to be a "whatever yer havin yourself!" policy.One councillor or TD might be for banning all coursing and fox hunting. 3 counties over there is another who is all for them!
    IN NI they are usually calling for gun bans and down here they are now supporting us on the lead shot ban???
    Seems to be abit of a cynical populist exercise IMO:rolleyes:,but the enemy of mine enemy an all that...

I honestly don't give a **** as you say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. But until a particular party has the balls to stand up and back us then if Lucifer was to turn up and try to stop it then i would be behind him all the way.

Every Politician is a flip flopper on shooting issues because so far no one has the balls to stand over the sport, its not pc, if Fianna Fail are pro shooting and hunting then why haven't they opened there mouth on this. Fine Gael are meant to be the party of the Farmer, but since the rural vs urban split has emerged they only want D4 voters.

Labour are the biggest shower on antis going, as for the greens GYO and all that you'd think we should be on a winner their but there infiltrated by a shower of vegan, tofu eating, dandelion wine supping wannabe countryside lovers, who when they move to the country complain about the smell of slurry and the fact the cow **** on the road ruins their bicycle shorts.

So if Shinners want to push this, Thank you Sinn fein , and as I said the next Politician that wants to back us Ill thank him or her too, however the quay is very small from where I am looking

I honestly don't give a **** as you say the enemy of my enemy is my friend. But until a particular party has the balls to stand up and back us then if Lucifer was to turn up and try to stop it then i would be behind him all the way.

Every Politician is a flip flopper on shooting issues because so far no one has the balls to stand over the sport, its not pc, if Fianna Fail are pro shooting and hunting then why haven't they opened there mouth on this. Fine Gael are meant to be the party of the Farmer, but since the rural vs urban split has emerged they only want D4 voters.

Labour are the biggest shower on antis going, as for the greens GYO and all that you'd think we should be on a winner their but there infiltrated by a shower of vegan, tofu eating, dandelion wine supping wannabe countryside lovers, who when they move to the country complain about the smell of slurry and the fact the cow **** on the road ruins their bicycle shorts.

So if Shinners want to push this, Thank you Sinn fein , and as I said the next Politician that wants to back us Ill thank him or her too, however the quay is very small from where I am looking

I remember in the last few years a senior loudmouth in sinn fein looking for all civilian owned firearms to be stored in garda stations. So they are not friendly towards us at all.

^THIS^
    My point exactly,they run with the hare and hunt with the hounds on this topic.I remember it was als SF that gave us the hard time in the Dail public enquiry next to Finian Mc Grath,and were aptly and ably dealt with by Sparks on the day.

^THIS^
    My point exactly,they run with the hare and hunt with the hounds on this topic.I remember it was als SF that gave us the hard time in the Dail public enquiry next to Finian Mc Grath,and were aptly and ably dealt with by Sparks on the day.

They are just using us as a stick to beat the opposition, and would happily chuck us under the bus in a heartbeat if and when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    They are just using us as a stick to beat the opposition, and would happily chuck us under the bus in a heartbeat if and when it suits them.

Exactly

Ok..I get your point and I cant argue with you on anything you've said bar the factt Mat Mc Carthy has been pushing this very hard. Now tell me what Other political party is going help us.

Ok..I get your point and I cant argue with you on anything you've said bar the factt Mat Mc Carthy has been pushing this very hard. Now tell me what Other political party is going help us.

Dont know if they are helping or not but they are keeping it in the news
    What was gilland talking about in the Anglo celt when he said we had signed up to a code of practice on night time shooting?

grassroot1 wrote: »

Dont know if they are helping or not but they are keeping it in the news
    What was gilland talking about in the Anglo celt when he said we had signed up to a code of practice on night time shooting?
    Not sure. Assume he was touting a party line, but that COP for night time shooting was blown out if the water when through the FCP the Sports Coalition of Vested interests (remember them) tried to push it through. It was unworkable overly restrictive and thank **** it's gone.

Not sure. Assume he was touting a party line, but that COP for night time shooting was blown out if the water when through the FCP the Sports Coalition of Vested interests (remember them) tried to push it through. It was unworkable overly restrictive and thank **** it's gone.

Whatever became of them ?

• Advertisement

Non entity now I hope. What's clear is that they were not representing nobody but themselves, sugesting things that would actually affect shooters not defending them. NARGC left and so did ICTSA. If I remember right That COP was looking for training courses for Lamping foxes, a time limit on when you could go out, notifying the barracks, listing who actually was lamping and telling it to the guards. The SCoVIs well, they weren't fighting it, they suggesting it. With friends like those who needs enemies. They are Still listed as a lobbying group.

Advertisement