Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

It was up at about 8am this morning & then mysteriously made private, lot of ppl online thinkin it was cos it showed Mendes's number but sure anyone who saw the FB post would've already seen that....he would obv have a new one by now I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

could be something to do with the conan footage perhaps?

• I saw the third embedded before it was taken down earlier. Conor on Conan and Mendes admits he is a funny guy, good enough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

I saw it also, was a good ep, ended Chad saying after watching Conor on Conan, he's a funny entertaining guy, looks to the camera iircc and says something along the lines, you don't have to act so tough all the time Conor, implying he can be cool, but chill tfo :) Iircc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Stuxnet wrote: »
    I saw it also, was a good ep, ended Chad saying after watching Conor on Conan, he's a funny entertaining guy, looks to the camera iircc and says something along the lines, you don't have to act so tough all the time Conor, implying he can be cool, but chill tfo :) Iircc

chads cool as a cucumber. i read on reddit that it being tsken down had something to do with sonnen putting ou chads number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Did Conor predict what round he'd finish mendes in yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Did Conor predict what round he'd finish mendes in yet?

Inside 4 minutes i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Here's embedded for anyone that didn't see it.

http://streamable.com/s92a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

http://severemma.com/2015/07/video-ufc-189-embedded-vlog-episode-3/
    video is watchable here for anyone that hasnt seen it yet
    EDIT: beaten to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 anpanman

This is obviously a very biased thread. A load of Irish lads writing off one of the best wrestlers in mma. Conor has never fought a ncaa div 1 calibre wrestler and he will be put on his arse early in every round and get ground and pounded either to tko or unanimous decision to chad. Sorry lads just being real. He's only fought Muppets thus far.

• Advertisement

anpanman wrote: »
    This is obviously a very biased thread. A load of Irish writing off one of the best wrestlers in mma. Conor has never fought a ncaa div 1 calibre wrestler and he will be put on his arse early in every round and get ground and pounded either to tko or unanimous decision to chad. Sorry lads just being real. He's only fought Muppets thus far.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=can+of+worms&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#imgrc=nmJmcHIcGyKQLM%3A

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

This is obviously a very biased thread. A load of Irish lads writing off one of the best wrestlers in mma. Conor has never fought a ncaa div 1 calibre wrestler and he will be put on his arse early in every round and get ground and pounded either to tko or unanimous decision to chad. Sorry lads just being real. He's only fought Muppets thus far.

An IRISH MMA forum, frequented by mainly IRISH fans and they're all supporting an IRISH fighter, well fcuk me, who'd have thought it

Only muppets.......i laughed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Careful now.
    080110_ea_mma_bas_rutten_t.jpg

Perhaps Muppets was over the top but I liked conors chances against aldo. I just think chad will get him down and I cant see Conor getting back to his feet. Chad Mendes is a beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

No one's writing Mendes off and your post is ridiculous. Hating Conor does not equate to him being ****, no matter how much you want it to be true. I have no idea who'll win but either side writing off the other, which is what you're doing, has no clue what they're talking about.

You're also trolling, so bye bye.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm guessing a wrestler would try and submit someone?

I'm not trolling I just think everyone has Conor down as the winner. I just hope its more of a fight than conors last ufc fights. I would love to see Conor defend off his back and break a sweat against possibly the best wrestler in mma

CatFromHue wrote: »

Usually not. They control the opponent and land punches and elbows. But they can and do submit guys too

I'm not trolling I just think everyone has Conor down as the winner. I just hope its more of a fight than conors last ufc fights. I would love to see Conor defend off his back and break a sweat against possibly the best wrestler in mma

He's far from the best wrestler in mma

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    He's far from the best wrestler in mma

He has about 64 ncaa d1 wins he's a beast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

This fight shows what a piss poor effort the UFC makes of hyping most of their events. They just get lucky now and then when someone like Conor comes along and captivates the media.

Lawlor's is one of the best stories in all of MMA and there has been nothing. I know he has the personality of a stone but come on, it's still an easy story to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

CatFromHue wrote: »

Thought this as well a while ago but if i remember corrrctly only 2 of his pro wins have come from subs and the rest a fairly even devide between decision an T/KO. maybe someone could explain why this is? like i watched a cerrone video the other day and if got someone on the ground it seemed he was always going for submission or back to the feet. Would i be wrong in sayin conor is similar to chad in that he may prefer to just keeping punching when it goes to ground?

He has about 64 ncaa d1 wins he's a beast

Henry cejudo, Daniel Cormier, Yoel Romero are top of the food chain wrestlers. Mendes is a level below but nonetheless still a beast as you rightly said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Old Perry wrote: »
    Thought this as well a while ago but if i remember corrrctly only 2 of his pro wins have come from subs and the rest a fairly even devide between decision an T/KO. maybe someone could explain why this is? like i watched a cerrone video the other day and if got someone on the ground it seemed he was always going for submission or back to the feet. Would i be wrong in sayin conor is similar to chad in that he may prefer to just keeping punching when it goes to ground?

There are no submissions in wrestling, wrestlers coming to MMA are basically starting from scratch in that regard. It's a lot easier to learn how to rain down punches from dominant positions than to learn how to apply subs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Old Perry wrote: »

Basically wrestling doesnt equate to BJJ, so just because you have good wrestling doesnt mean your going to sub everyone. A wrestler will more often than not take the guy down and look for the ground and pound as opposed to subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

UFC released episode 3 again edited out the part with Mendes saying Conor can be funny and just needs to chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Davei141 wrote: »
    UFC released episode 3 again edited out the part with Mendes saying Conor can be funny and just needs to chill.

Was wondering why they took it down earlier, guess the gotta create the bad blood!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Glade87

Interim title??? Really? I feel they should have made the Diaz fight... Mendes is a boring fighter and he has clearly stated his intentions... Put McGregor on his back (which he will succeed in doing) and keep him there... FOR 5 ROUNDS.

I want Mcgregor to win but this fight is a stupid risk, he got the title shot, it should have been put in the bank... because let's say Diaz beat McGregor... his title shot is still in the bank. Let's say Mendes puts on the most boring display ever seen and pins McGregor for the whole fight... suddenly McGregor is at the back of the queue.

It's a stupid risk considering Dana White will be redder than a tomato should this occur. I want McGregor to do well but if I'm being honest, I think Mendes is a terrible match up for him at such short notice... Mendes is no joke... BORING but no joke.

McGregor is a young guy, it's seems people forget this, sometimes you have to learn things the hard way. I think it's great what he's done... real talent... but experienced against top level guys??? NO

Mendes is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Chad Mendes is boring? I must of dreamt watching his last 6/7 fights and all of his KOs. Since his first loss to Aldo he's been a beast, blasting through everyone.

McGregor would of had to fight him at some stage, it's just earlier than we thought. You got beat the best etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

If Conor is going to be champion he would need to beat Mendes sooner rather than later regardless. It's a risk for the UFC but really I think Conor's self-belief is so unwavering that the possibility of losing doesn't even enter the equation. I'm happy he's taking the risk, it adds to his character and will shut up a huge amount of naysayers if he wins.

Mendes isn't boring btw. Saying he'll take McGregor down and doing it are two different things. He may take him down more than once but I seriously doubt Conor will be kept on the mat for the majority of the fight. He's obviously not on Mendes' level wrestling wise but he's very slippery and hard to keep down apparently. And so far his takedown defense has looked quite good.

Advertisement