Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Maybe the Mods might want to sticky this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

As a Ballyfermot lad I'm enjoying the memories here.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/80246451@N02/8711015879/

Saw this a few weeks ago on my Flickr flicking. Is this ripping the piss or what?

BenShermin wrote: »

Saw this a few weeks ago on my Flickr flicking. Is this ripping the piss or what?

Wasn't like that when I was a student!!

• Advertisement

You could be a real arsehole and ask the bus driver to open the luggage doors for your school bag ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Thought I'd support this new forum. I'm not a bus enthusiast, but I came across these historic gems on a FB page I frequent. Worth a look.

First 18 from Ballyfermot.jpg

17A 1980s.jpg

Skid pan Broadstone.jpg

79.jpg

Leyland Royal Tiger.jpg

Is there a story behind the 17A on Northern Plates?

corktina wrote: »
    Is there a story behind the 17A on Northern Plates?

There is. Its in Ulster Bus colours and was on demonstration to Dublin Bus. I think the photo dates from 1989.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A selection of ex DB Olympians parked up at M3 Parkway station. Which looking rather Impish, this is actually their new private livery which has been applied to them.

DSCF2707_zpsfa047a43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chinwag

Came across these pics (link below). There was also a good thread (with photos) in 2008 about Dublin bus and street scenes started by a boards mod.
    However, here is my humble offering to this thread.

http://transportsceneireland.smugmug.com/BusScanIreland/Bus-Types/Route-Unknown-R/17702021_RcfsCd#!i=1350702226&k=5mJLTbr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

chinwag wrote: »
    Came across these pics (link below). There was also a good thread (with photos) in 2008 about Dublin bus and street scenes started by a boards mod.
    However, here is my humble offering to this thread.

http://transportsceneireland.smugmug.com/BusScanIreland/Bus-Types/Route-Unknown-R/17702021_RcfsCd#!i=1350702226&k=5mJLTbr

Went to school on those buses, the open platform with that vertical bar was very handy for boarding when the bus was in motion. The more skilled could board at speed. As the bus passed by you grabbed the bar firmly with the left hand and then the right. The legs would trail out behind at first, and then fall back on to the platform. Some conductors were not too amused. How H&S has changed. :D

A selection of ex DB Olympians parked up at M3 Parkway station. Which looking rather Impish, this is actually their new private livery which has been applied to them.
    Are they the Jerry Nolan ones? I see one heading down Santry Avenue most mornings. The centre door has been removed but the flap which contained the door open handle still remains.

Karsini wrote: »
    Are they the Jerry Nolan ones? I see one heading down Santry Avenue most mornings. The centre door has been removed but the flap which contained the door open handle still remains.

These seem to have had the doors retained in them but they may well have been converted since then; it was March when I met them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

BenShermin wrote: »

They sometimes used to use the bigger coaches for the morning college rush. Thought the deckers had eliminated the need for them in recent years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I found this picture of CIE double decker RA106 from Portlaoise on The Wanderer on Smugmug. It has something unusual on it's front blind.

http://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/2013Photos/June-2013/29767818_QcKp2w#!i=2555433177&k=JRWqJcQ

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I've seen them outside Intel while passing on the 66 to Maynooth. The red looks terrible. There's a couple of red ex-London? bendy buses there I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This happened to Donnybrook's DART branded KC199 while on the Sandyford Road on 14th April 1987.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58660422@N07/8453871683/

Photo Courtesy of Des Willis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anybody know the current whereabouts of E8 http://www.flickr.com/photos/48993163@N05/5390478211/in/photostream/ or who now owns it?

Anybody know the current whereabouts of E8 http://www.flickr.com/photos/48993163@N05/5390478211/in/photostream/ or who now owns it?

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

A few bus pictures. The last one is a kerry coaches tourliner, the 2nd one seen this evening in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

The rare New York City Atlantean...ran on the bus routes for Fifth and Madison Avenues.

A wee drive up the mountains led me to Glencullen just in time to bump into a good friend of ours :)

0c7db7cf-2c48-4c20-8f6b-009ab5bc4cee_zps03d9bac9.jpg

One time when I was younger, I was lucky enough to ride a VanHool-bodied Atlantean on the full length of the 44B from Hawkins Street all the way to that remote bus loop in the mountains. The roads through Barnacullia and Ballyedmonduff do look rather dangerous from the upper deck of one of those buses. (For all the money purportedly spent on the roads in Ireland, they couldn't widen those roads for safety's sake, no?)

MGWR wrote: »
    One time when I was younger, I was lucky enough to ride a VanHool-bodied Atlantean on the full length of the 44B from Hawkins Street all the way to that remote bus loop in the mountains. The roads through Barnacullia and Ballyedmonduff do look rather dangerous from the upper deck of one of those buses. (For all the money purportedly spent on the roads in Ireland, they couldn't widen those roads for safety's sake, no?)

The problem is that there are too many house hugging either side of the road at barnacullia which makes wideing almost impossible without CPO's and some amount of cutting into the granite rock base.

There goes a story that around 2001, the regular marked in KC failed one afternoon and an new AV with a spare man was called in to cover the route. The plucky if naive driver took a wrong turn around the Blue Light and got the bus lodged at the mouth of a cul de sac blocking the main road up and down; it took an evening to free up the bus and one very embarrassed driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Unfortunatley not in the best condition.

aujopimur wrote: »
    Unfortunatley not in the best condition.

Is that one of those in the Kells museum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Is that one of those in the Kells museum?
    I've no idea, this one is in the yard behind The Halfway Pub on the Cork to Bandon Rd..

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Thought I'd support this new forum. I'm not a bus enthusiast, but I came across these historic gems on a FB page I frequent. Worth a look.

First 18 from Ballyfermot.jpg

17A 1980s.jpg

Skid pan Broadstone.jpg

79.jpg

Leyland Royal Tiger.jpg
    I used to use the old 27A (to Cromcastle Green in Kilmore) to visit relatives along the Oscar Traynor Road in the 1980s, and I never saw that type of bus on the 17A. What part of the 1980s did it run in?

I also remember the 79 crossing the O'More Bridge back when Victoria Quay still had two-way traffic prior to the Sherwin Bridge opening. The other bus routes going that way at the time were the 24, 68 and 69.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It was a trial - Dublin Bus were assessing the suitability of the vehicle.

Advertisement