Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Carry wrote: »
    That's a so-called minstrel gallery, very popular during the middle ages, so you have discreet musical entertainment without the musicians sneeking up to your goblets of wine downstairs or making eyes to the lady of the manor ....

Yeah...like I said...DJ booth. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Thargor wrote: »
    http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/lismore/glenriver-house-monalour-lower-lismore-waterford-1625939/

This abomination of an interior balcony thing has to be the ugliest piece of architecture Ive seen in these threads, what would possess you to ask for that?

Oh christ I have so many questions about this house!
    Why are there 4 doors into the dining room?
    Why are there only 3 bedrooms but 4 reception rooms? The blurb says 5 bedrooms but the plan only shows 3. Unless they're counting the 'conservatory' balcony thing as a bedroom?
    Who thought those hideously ornate columns in the 'library' were a good idea?
    Why are there half doors everywhere?
    Why is there an exercise bike in the living room? They had so much space, just put in a gym!
    Why are there no chairs at the dining table? (I count 3 against the walls)
    Why are there little to no books in the 'library'?
    Who would ever want a leopard print tissue box?
    Why is there a tilted mirror on the bathroom ceiling?
    Why are there 2 clocks in the landing?
    Why does the internal joinery keep changing wood?
    What is a hanging lantern smoke alarm?
    Having rattan furniture in a room does not make it a conservatory. That is not a conservatory.

And finally, the front door. So much wrong. Why is it so tiny when you have a huge house? Why is there a tiny vision panel above it? Why are there urns at the front door? Why put in shutters if you can never close them because of the giant urns? Why is the welcome mat so tiny?

Hideous house. More money than style/sense. :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Looks like a recent macmansion to me judging by the state of it and the site its built on, what makes you think it was a church?

My bad. Totally missed the outside photo as I got bored going through many of the 70-odd photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Why are there only 3 bedrooms but 4 reception rooms? The blurb says 5 bedrooms but the plan only shows 3. Unless they're counting the 'conservatory' balcony thing as a bedroom?
    Why is there an exercise bike in the living room? They had so much space, just put in a gym!
    Having rattan furniture in a room does not make it a conservatory. That is not a conservatory.

And finally, the front door. So much wrong. Why is it so tiny when you have a huge house? Why is there a tiny vision panel above it? Why are there urns at the front door? Why put in shutters if you can never close them because of the giant urns? Why is the welcome mat so tiny?

The ridiculous bits of shutters on the bathroom windows in pic 30 that wouldn't cover the window. Same in pic 33.
    Grey skirting and white architrave around the doors? Would it not make more sense to have them the same colour? Pic 5.
    Why is the corner press in the kitchen white while the rest of the kitchen is cream? Pic 18.
    Kitchen island a different wood to the rest of the kitchen. Pic 19.
    Chairs beside the kitchen island too high to actually sit at the island. Pic 19.
    Those pedestals beside the front door look like they belong in a church. Pic 20.
    For such a big expensive house, the stairs is remarkably cheap looking. Pic 21.
    Very few matching doors throughout the house. Would it not be better to have the same finish throughout?
    They seriously like those pendulum style clocks. They are everywhere.
    The sh1te rattan chairs in the apartment. Pic 70.

Yeah, I'm not even going to talk about the bit of a balcony in pic 35.

I have to say I do like the doors in pic 21 but not in that setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Grayson wrote: »
    Yep. And wicker furniture? Not to mention the beds and the horrible christmas decorations. That person has money but no taste.

For me it was the state if the garden and outside area. In the first photo it looks absolutly awful nearly as if nobody really bothered with it and especially the large concrete base with scattered bits of wood etc :confused: why would you show that?

Overall not my taste at all but the one thing that stood out amongst many was the gold(?) Microwave and toaster in the kitchen ....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

inforfun wrote: »
    A urinal for a sink. Its novel if nothing else
    Looks like the building was originally a church so it might be where the organ was.
    It's where the organ is in the urinal house anyway :)

gozunda wrote: »
    For me it was the state if the garden and outside area. In the first photo it looks absolutly awful nearly as if nobody really bothered with it and especially the large concrete base with scattered bits of wood etc :confused: why would you show that?

I'd say Mr. McMansion ran out of money.

499_720.jpg

If that's a urinal on the wall and I had to use it, there'd be a fair amount of p1ss on the carpet. No way I could reach that with every drop.

And why you'd need a urinal when there's a toilet right beside it is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If that's a urinal on the wall and I had to use it, there'd be a fair amount of p1ss on the carpet. No way I could reach that with every drop.

Thats why its beside the step/raised area

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Something not completely right with that picture. Something you also see a lot on daft where you see 2 meter wide ovens in kitchens.

Just see how high the toilet seat is compared to the rim of the urinal. It is not that high.

Let me put it this way, i am rather tall. Most kitchen sinks, toilets, bathroom sinks, office desks et cetera are just a little too low to be comfortable for me as they have been built\installed on averages.
    If i have kitchens or bathrooms built for me, it would all probably be 10\15 centimeter higher than standard.

http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/lismore/glenriver-house-monalour-lower-lismore-waterford-1625939/

This abomination of an interior balcony thing has to be the ugliest piece of architecture Ive seen in these threads, what would possess you to ask for that?

8c8d7270f102d6b3f66677ba2ac1ec46.png

This picture annoys me for many reasons.
    More than it should.

8c8d7270f102d6b3f66677ba2ac1ec46.png

This picture annoys me for many reasons.
    More than it should.

Are they crucifixes near the apex of the roof each side of the front door? :confused:

GBX wrote: »
    Thats why its beside the step/raised area

Fcuk that. I'd miss more than I'd hit. And if you were meant to p1ss in it from the step, wouldn't it be turned to actually face the step?

Are they crucifixes near the apex of the roof each side of the front door? :confused:

The layout does look very convent like though ...

gozunda wrote: »
    The layout does look very convent like though ...

It does look like they were going for the church/convent look. There's even what looks like a bible open in one of the pics. That said, it looks new enough so I don't think it is an old building that was renovated and extended.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Article on the Waterford house. It was built in 2012 by an Irish American.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/a-unique-delight-in-the-heart-of-the-deise-465964.html

Kingp35 wrote: »

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/a-unique-delight-in-the-heart-of-the-deise-465964.html

The guy who built that was an interior designer and then became a builder. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Described as a unique delight!! Found it on daft http://www.daft.ie/waterford/houses-for-sale/lismore/glenriver-house-monalour-lower-lismore-waterford-1625939/

I think might granny might say that man has notions!!

This explains a lot. So it's a mishmash of all the pieces of ****e he's collected through the years. fair play to the journalist, Trish Dromey, for trying to make that monstrosity seem more appealing. And it's his dream home but he's feckin off to Florida coz it's warmer than Waterford? Coulda told ya that before you built it mate.

• Advertisement

WrsOJXU.png

First thing I thought when I browsed the pics of this house was for the price the shell of the house + the structure + the lands it's not bad for the price. That said, I'd almost entirely gut the interior (which wouldn't be cheap) and redo it in a more "contemporary" style.

First thing I thought when I browsed the pics of this house was for the price the shell of the house + the structure + the lands it's not bad for the price. That said, I'd almost entirely gut the interior (which wouldn't be cheap) and redo it in a more "contemporary" style.

You wouldn't need to gut the interior. €10k - €20k would have that place looking much better.

Even just taking out all the ostentatious crap would be a huge improvement.

Patww79 wrote: »
    mojoscripts_Living_Area.jpg

(Possibly very small).

Thanks for that Patww

The question which springs to mind about car see-thru in the living room is:

Why?

:confused:

BBC piece on the new Co-Living trend in London. The journalist isn't too enamoured by them. £2,800 a month to live in one in Chelsea. That is just insanity. Would be interested in the comments from the planners.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43090849

I would turn into a serial-killer if i had to live in something like that.
    Absolute nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

BBC piece on the new Co-Living trend in London. The journalist isn't too enamoured by them. £2,800 a month to live in one in Chelsea. That is just insanity. Would be interested in the comments from the planners.

Interi%C3%B8r-fengsel_Boenhet-fellesrom-1024x682.jpg

The living area is much better in this Norwegian Communal Living space than that one in London, much cheaper too and a similar concept with like minded people sharing a space together and collaborating on ideas.

Spoiler Alert: This is Halden Prison

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

And a gold microwave.
    A gold microwave.

You wouldn't need to gut the interior. €10k - €20k would have that place looking much better.

It depends on what you'd want from it. Personally I'd be tearing down a lot given the pics and the layout.

• Advertisement

I would turn into a serial-killer if i had to live in something like that.
    Absolute nightmare

I hope "Leo & Murphs" don't see that or that's the future.......

I have a vague recollection of reading about some sort of communal living townhouse or maybe it was a Georgian House before Christmas in Dublin though? Or maybe I'm just going batty from a severe lack of sleep at the moment.

Advertisement