Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Week 2012

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

My god, did you see the picture on the front page.

Minister and three kids on bikes, with stupid looking high vis gear, helmets and cycling through a massive puddle of water:

bikes-front.jpg

Has to be the most anti-cycling picture I've ever seen in my life :mad:

Might I recommend in future they use pictures like these to promote cycling,

Nice looking girls, riding ordinary, safe looking bikes with no crazy safety gear. Makes cycling look attractive and fun, rather then a cold, wet, nasty task.

Now the Dutch, they really know how to promote cycling, check out this ad a must watch :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an1m7t6p548

And here are some nice pictures that they could use:

girl-on-bike-14.jpg

girl-on-bike-obi-martinez.jpg

9229BikeSohoWeb-470x705.jpg

ss_62310_bike_IMG_2241.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1277346505290

bicycle_girlonbike.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Is it just me or does it look like that kid on the right has his helmet on backwards?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm not sure that last pic would put me in the mind for cycling...
    It really does highlight the ridiculous attitude Ireland (govt) has to cycling though: you'll be wet and have to dress silly rather than simply pick up and go however you like

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is it just me or does it look like that kid on the right has his helmet on backwards?:confused:

Neither he no Minister Kelly appear to have their helmets strapped on. If he falls over, its going to fall off.

Wk7x2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Might be just me BK but I'm not thinking of cycling when looking at those photos;).

You're points on cycling are 100% correct though, we need to get away from this lycra wearing, helmet headed, uncomfortably bent over handbars attitude to cycling in this country and adopt the Dutch/Flemish culture of cycling. However I don't think pictures of beautiful looking scantily clad women on bikes will get us there though. We need to show off ordinary looking Irish people (no offence:o) enjoying cycling.

Pictures like this would influence an Irish market more imo, (found them over on the cycling forum):

http://www.dermotsullivan.com/cyclist-portrait-exhibition-a-great-success/

While we're on the subject, someday I dream of a rush hour Dublin like this:D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-ej1eihoU

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BenShermin wrote: »
    Might be just me BK but I'm not thinking of cycling when looking at those photos;).

Hey sex sells, why not use it?

Seriously check out this ad they use in Amsterdam to promote cycling, this is how it is done:

The pictures you linked to are nice, but they really need to actually show the people outdoors, on the street, in traffic cycling (preferably in nice sunny weather) to be effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

bk wrote: »
    BenShermin wrote: »

Hey sex sells, why not use it?

Seriously check out this ad they use in Amsterdam to promote cycling, this is how it is done:

The pictures you linked to are nice, but they really need to actually show the people outdoors, on the street, in traffic cycling (preferably in nice sunny weather) to be effective.
    Does sex sell though. A recent conversation with my friend (a 4x4 lover who never uses public transport and hates cyclists) proves different.

Me: what you think of the new Dublin Bus (RTPI) ad.

Him: ah yeah I'd do yer wan who got clamped, I'd do her.

Me: would you use the bus though?

Him: what; those smelly old things where there's more water on the inside then there is outside on rainy days? ( obviously a throwback to the old RV, RA days)

Point being if Dublin bus didn't show off a good looking lass and instead showed happy people on the interiors of the new VGs they might have got a few more customers.

I do agree with you on everything else though. Might see you at one of the bike week events at the Phoenix Park tomorrow on my 59 year old Raleigh high nelly ;)

Ah now, sex doesn't sell that quickly!!!

It has been scientifically proven that statistically sex does sell.

A person doesn't see one sexy ad and immediately go out and buy the product. That isn't how marketing works.

But you bombard ads with pictures of beautiful happy people cycling and show pictures of 4x4 drivers as grumpy old men and you do it for a few years and you would see a definite switch in people's perceptions.

After all you never see ugly people promoting jewellery or cars or clothes, do you?

Advertisement