Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

When i brought family few years back we got the tickets from travel agent,it was a two week pass with one day entry to the water park. We went for the whole week taking a days break here and there. We ended up giving the tickets away for the last week of our holidays, we were just wrecked. It did work out cheaper getting them here.Loved it btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Thanks for the link but I am looking for a comparison for what they offer and whats on offer here.

Bo_jangles

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ok. Well there are over 10 threads in the Travel section alone concering Portaventura so take a look through those...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Was there in June last year ! Cheaper to get tickets before you go. We bought tickets for a week and got the second week free it still cost us 400 euro approx and unfortunately ended up being a disaster as my 10year old son was 138/139 cm and was not allowed on the larger rides .

They enforce the 140cm rule rigidly so if any of your kids are smaller than that there are less options

We ended up going just 2 days so it was quite expensive. I think you get one entry into the water park but we didn't bother going.

You can buy express passes @ €20per person per day to save queing. Queues can be quite long - I seem to remember waiting for an hour and a quarter for a big water boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭wierdal

Hi all

Just booked Orlando for June, first time going so quick question.

I've been told its cheaper to book the tickets for the parks online

Was given www.undercovertourist.com, is there any better(cheaper) sites

tickets I'm looking for are the Orlando FlexTicket, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM

Thanks

Wierdal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Also going towards end of June for 3 weeks. Started to look at tickets and my head hurt, cant decide on the best and most economical way to do it.

Well with that undercovertourist site it was about 20 quid cheaper than shops in town

Just want to see if they go even cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

quick question; what age are you??

disney ie Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM are great for kids but for anyone 18 or over i would recommend maybe one of those not 3. ripleys is a complete waste of time, far better things to spend you time doing in orlando

if you are over 18; busch gardens in tampa and universal islands of adventure would be far more down your street

flexi tickets are available here, seaworld and wet and wild are great parks and worth a visit, if you buy flexi-tickets you get a free bus to busch gardens in tampa http://www.seaworld.com/Tickets/Visitors.aspx

I'm 18, the youngest going is 14

Only wanting to go to these places cause first time here so get full experience

Thanks for the advice though

They are dearer on that site though

Thanks

Wierdal

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭normanbond

anyone get a good deal on holiday package for family to orlando? should I book now or wait until later in the year to book? I plan to travel july/august

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Hi - I actually came on here to post the same kind of question > I want to book for parents and three sons (17-22).

If anyone has any advice at all I'd be grateful. My main question was actually whether to book online or physically/telephonically visit a travel agent here, and what's the best way to book - a package or seperate flights etc.

I found this (old) thread while searching, it might be useful for other posters also looking for information - they mention;
    - American Holidays
    - www.Panoramaholidays.ie
    - www.mercurytravel.net
    - www.touramerica.ie

Thanks for any help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

wierdal wrote: »
    Hi all

Just booked Orlando for June, first time going so quick question.

I've been told its cheaper to book the tickets for the parks online

Was given www.undercovertourist.com, is there any better(cheaper) sites

tickets I'm looking for are the Orlando FlexTicket, Ripleys Believe it or Not, Magic Kingdom, Epcot and MGM

Thanks

Wierdal

First of all, I have to disagree with Rosie about the Disney parks not being suitable for over 18's, me and my hubby are round the 30 mark, we have been to Orlando twice (going for a third time this year) and we absolutely adore the Disney parks. The rides aren't really big thrill rides like you might get at some of the other parks, but the theming and attention to detail is second to none and it's more about the overall experiance rather than thrills. I would also recommend Animal Kingdom (the fourth Disney park) it has some great rides and a wonderful safari and also animal trails. It is a really beautiful park.

With that in mind I would recommend a 3 or 4 day base ticket for the Disney parks (you can add a hopper option for an extra $45 which allows you to visit more than one park a day, but if it's your first time and considering the June heat, I wouldn't recommend trying to do more than one park a day). Undercovertourist works out at being about $10 pp cheaper than buying at the Disney gate. I have also used www.mapleleaftickets.com they are a similar price to undercover. Make sure you buy in dollars and let your bank do the conversion, if you buy in Euro the exchange rate is very poor.

With regards to Ripleys, I have never been to it (I thought it was a bit pricey) but it opens til about 12 midnight, so you could do it at night. I can't imagine you would save much buying online, I would wait until you are there incase you no longer feel like it.

I'm not much of an expert on the flex ticket, as i'm not a fan of those parks, but again, I reckon you would save about $10pp buing online. don't worry about the security of those two sites, they are very reputable and in both cases I have received my tickets very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ncmc wrote: »
    I would also recommend Animal Kingdom (the fourth Disney park) it has some great rides and a wonderful safari and also animal trails. It is a really beautiful park.

and a total rip-off of busch gardens in tampa :) what annoys me most about disney in florida is the fact that the big attractions are spread all over the place, so each park has like max 2 big attractions. animal kingdom has the yeti ride but busch has sheikra, montu and kumba which wipe the floor with 90% of disney rides, busch also has a wonderful safari and animal trails and for the same price as a ticket to animal kingdom you can buy a combined ticket to seaworld/busch gardens

rossie1977 wrote: »
    and a total rip-off of busch gardens in tampa :) what annoys me most about disney in florida is the fact that the big attractions are spread all over the place, so each park has like max 2 big attractions. animal kingdom has the yeti ride but busch has sheikra, montu and kumba which wipe the floor with 90% of disney rides, busch also has a wonderful safari and animal trails and for the same price as a ticket to animal kingdom you can buy a combined ticket to seaworld/busch gardens

I haven't made it out as far as Busch Gardens yet, so I can't comment on that, but I HATED Seaworld as a park, I was so disappointed in it as I had heard great things about it. I thought the animal shows were lame and bar Kraken, I thought it had very little to offer. Also the constant pushing of Anhauser-Busch products (ie Budweiser) left a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't think it was appropriate in a theme park aimed at kids. That's part of the reason why I haven't bothered going to Busch Gardens, maybe I should give it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ncmc wrote: »
    Also the constant pushing of Anhauser-Busch products (ie Budweiser) left a bad taste in my mouth. .
    ROFL! It's the States for crying out loud, the forefront of corporate sponsorship pushing stuff in yer face. It's like the eejits a whole back saying they would boycott gigs in the new o2 because of the mobile phone company link :rolleyes:

Savman wrote: »
    ROFL! It's the States for crying out loud, the forefront of corporate sponsorship pushing stuff in yer face. It's like the eejits a whole back saying they would boycott gigs in the new o2 because of the mobile phone company link :rolleyes:

I have no problem at all with corporate sponsership, I do however have a problem with Seaworld pushing Anhauser-Busch products in a theme park primarily aimed at children. I think it's highly inappropriate and it was an aspect of Seaworld I disliked.

anybody got any sites for ripleys believe it or not tickets ??

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

What ever you do dont go to ripleys, its rubbish IMO. If you are buying your park tickets wait until you get over there and buy them in Wal-Mart on highway 192 or the 535. They are the cheapest by far, or you can go to www.officialticketcenter.com they are located on the 535 near to that Wal-Mart, they will even deliver to your door at no extra cost.
    What ever you do dont buy your tickets this side of the pond there is always a middle man looking to rip you off. I know all this because we have a place over there and go every year.

Thanks for the advice

We already bought the orlando flex plus tickets (6 parks + tiy walk 14 day) off undercovertourist, $271 each adult so worked out good

Was only planning on going to Ripleys cause its the first time over there and want to get a bit of everything in

Thanks
    Wierdal

wierdal wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice

We already bought the orlando flex plus tickets (6 parks + tiy walk 14 day) off undercovertourist, $271 each adult so worked out good

Was only planning on going to Ripleys cause its the first time over there and want to get a bit of everything in

Thanks
    Wierdal

I think you might be suprised by how much there is to do and how tired you will be in the evenings. I would strongly recommend not buying the Ripley tickets until you get there, you might not be able to fit it in. They aren't very expensive ($18.95) so can't imagine you'd save a whole pile booking in advance anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

I'm looking to book a short holiday for me and my boyfriend. I was thinking of Barcelona as we've both wanted to go for a while.

But I'd like to do something fun on holidays and was thinking of going to an amusement park. Port Aventura is closed until March.

We're going at the end of February so does anyone know of any amusements parks open in February in Europe?

I'd like to go to one with loads of rollercoasters, like Six Flags California.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Theme parks are one of my hobbies and we're very lucky to have lots of good ones in Europe.

Disneyland in Paris should be open, same with Legoland in Denmark, probably many Italian parks, such as Gardaland, Mirabilandia or Movieland Studios will be open because of no snow and rain. I really liked the Garda Lake area (Italy) where 3 theme parks are located right beside each other!

Siam Park in Tenerife with the Wave Palace where you can surf on specially made perfect waves any time you wish to.

Europa Park in Germany has also lots to offer, however most of extreme attractions will be possibly closed because of the snow. Same with Walibi in Belgium..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

siam park in tenerife is just a waterpark for the moment,the rollercoasters are in phase 2 and 3 but it blows every waterpark ive been in away, including the big ones in florida.it really is amazing!! its brilliantly themed, with a thai village etc. has its very own sandy beach with the biggest manmade waves in the world.theyre huge!

port aventura may be closed till march but try terra mitica, near benidorm.

is alton towers/thorpe park shut-dont they open for midterm breaks etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

df1985 wrote: »
    is alton towers/thorpe park shut-dont they open for midterm breaks etc?
    None extreme attraction should be open if it rains or its wet because of their passengers safety. UK is wet and cold now so I wouldn't risk a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭fdevine

cacio wrote: »
    I'm looking to book a short holiday for me and my boyfriend. I was thinking of Barcelona as we've both wanted to go for a while.

But I'd like to do something fun on holidays and was thinking of going to an amusement park. Port Aventura is closed until March.

We're going at the end of February so does anyone know of any amusements parks open in February in Europe?

I'd like to go to one with loads of rollercoasters, like Six Flags California.

Thanks

Port Aventura is open weekends (Saturday & Sunday) from 10am until 7pm up to the full opening in March. We went in December, and one day should be sufficient to see the whole park. If going by train from Barcelona ask for the combined train/park entry ticket to save a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Hi there

am hoping to do a 3 night (european) weekend break with 2 kids - one a 10 yr old girl and 12 year old "I'm bored" boy.........

any suggestions please for Weekend March 13 next......please include things to do / see / places to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

Barcelona is good - mind you my kids were 3 and 6. There's an aquarium, a zoo which has a Dolphin show in the afternoon. The Ramblas is good just for the hustle and bustle, the red bus tours are good and it does stop off at the neu camp(ideal if your bored 12 year old is a soccer fan). Paris is good too, loads to see and you could do a day trip to Disney or the Asterix theme park. Can't recommend either (haven't made it to theme parks yet) but loads of good reports on boards re the theme parks. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 26,148 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Eurodisney is easy to get to. Easy Option

Ryanair to Beavauis. Hire a car from Avis and stay in either these two hotels for a budget which are Disney Sante Fe Hotel on the grounds or the Kyriad Marne Le Valee(Travelodge-esque).

Both have a bus to the Park so you can abandon your car in the hotel car park.

A 12 year old would not be bored in Disneyland and especially a 10 year old.

The two parks will take up two full days and the third day will be a day in Paris City for everybody, Eifell Tower, Champs Elysee and Hausmann Boulevard for some shopping in Printemps or shop in the outlet village in Marne Le Vallee Village 5 minutes from Disneyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Rabeile31

im off to Orlando this summer with my whole family and i've priced tickets for the Disney and Universal theme parks, both together are working out at nearly €450 for each person.

this is our second time to go so we wont be goin to all the parks offered with each multi park ticket...

what i'm wondering is can you purchase the tickets at the different parks each day that we want to go or do you have to buy the 5 or 7 day passes?

If you can buy individual park tickets that day would it work out cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

Try this crowd www.offcialticketcenter.com they are situated on highway 535 close to Disney, and they deliver to your door over there. Or you can wait till you get over there and buy them in Wal-Mart on the 192 or the 535. Things are pretty slack over there at the moment and you might get a good deal on the gates.

Advertisement