Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 monkiscool

hi my friend and i are planning on going to alton towers the first weekend in june...but we have no idea how to get there..we are both students and don't drive,and we'll be travelling from cork.also if anyone has any other theme parks that aren't too far away to recommend that would also be great
    any info would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

theres weekend trips to oakwood in wales from your local travel agents
    http://www.oakwoodthemepark.co.uk/home/default.asp
    As for Alton Towers
    http://www.altontowers.com/pages/home

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Been to Alton Towers. Well worth a visit. Pay as much as you can afford for tickets as it helps you beat the queues. We flew into East Midlands and hired a car but Im sure you could get a bus from Nottingham 4 or 5 miles from East Midlands Airport. Alton Towers really is in the middle of nowhere with very narrow roads leading to it so a bus would probably be your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Phaetonman

biggrin.gif That's the plan.. be up at the crack of dawn alright. Try and get most stuff done for lunch and then just stroll around for the rest of the day

What kind of holiday is that?

Orlando is an absolute hole. I was there in mid June and it was disgustingly hot and humid. Very expensive for the states as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

frodi wrote: »
    I'm heading to Orlando with the family in June as well. Love the advice above. One further thing I would like to know. The water parks have that you should wear "water shoes" because the ground can get hot. I am presuming that this is something like flip flops or jelly shoes or are they talking about something else altogether?

Sorry for the minor hijack.

yeah flip-flops is what they are talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

rossie1977 wrote: »
    yeah flip-flops is what they are talking about

Thanks for that. do you know if you can wear them on the ride or do you have to leave them behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Apologies in advance for any repetition and for the long post - alot of the above posters have already mentioned good places to go but heres my two cents:

We always purchased our tickets at the park gates but there are loads of different ways to get them just make sure you are getting what you want. Sorry cant be more help with a ticket source.

Usually head over in September as its very quiet, unfortunately June is high season its going to be hot and crowded. Drink lots of water especially walking around the parks.

Malls:

Mall at the Millenia - very nice mall, more high end shops such as Tiffanys, Abercrombie, Banana Republic, Victorias Secret, Bloomingdales etc. Recommend you eat at the Cheesecake Factory but not on Sunday after church is finished as its madness to get a table. Theres a nice shortcut (avoids the I-4) to the Millenia from International Drive as well, head down the end of International Drive towards the Prime. Go past the Festival Mall and you'll come to a set of lights (entrance to Prime is across the road) turn right and head up over bridge, at the lights turn left. Go straight down and the Millenia is a short distance down on the right.

Festival - this mall is still quite empty, theres Steve and Barrys which is great for cheap t-shirts and jeans etc. Vans Skate shop (expensive) also has a skate park in the shop. Hot Topic is here also. Foodcourt is not great but Coldstone Creamery does nice Ice Cream. Bed Bath & Beyond and Old Navy have stores across the road - theres a Dollar Tree too. Think this used to be called Beltz (I hate the place with a passion).

Florida Mall - this is on the road to/from the airport. Older mall but its absolutely huge - well worth going to. Varied shops, decent food court and theres a nice mexican restaraunt here too.

Outlets:

The Premiums are to put it simply the best outlet. Designer gear - Ralph Lauren, Tommy, Zegna, Armani, Reebok, Adidas, Nike, Gap loads of places. Food court is crap tho. There also another outlet near the Premium, as you are heading into the Premiums from the I4 you'll cross the Orange Blossom Trail turn right and head back towards the 192 and theres an open air outlet a short distance down on the left, last year they opened a Tommy outlet there and theres Old Navy and Gap as well. Can be better value here than other shops. Also has the first roundabout we found in the US!

Prime - they were still renovating this when we were there in December (it was a complete kip before) hear its quite nice tho (second hand info).

Activities:

Seaworld is fantastic, fun attractions great shows were the Sealions, Dolphins, Killer Whales - dont ask me for their names :) and rollercoasters. The Kraken is great fun plus the Budweiser horses. We will definitely go back.

Universal Studios - the old park is definitely a bit dated and tbh boring. We much preferred Islands of Adventure and would really only go back to Islands. There are some redeeming elements - The Mummy, Jurassic Park. Islands of Adventure is far superior - better rides such as the Hulk, Duelling Dragons, Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Popeye (you get soaked) Ripsaw falls (again you get soaked), and Doctor Doom.

Disney - it can be magic if its the first time, but I feel its more for younger children. The magic kingdom is very dated and Space Mountain and Thunder Mountain just dont compare to the other parks roller coasters.

MGM - Some good shows Lights Motors Action, Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones. Queues for the Rock n Roller Coaster were nuts even with the Fast pass was a 3 hr wait so we skipped that since it was late in the evening.

Animal Kingdom - this park has really improved over the years. Animal attractions are good, Kilimanjaro Safaris and the boat ride are a good laugh with the right driver. The Expedition Everest is a fantastic roller coaster cant recommend it enough. Cant talk about the water rides - was freezing the day we were there so no way were we risking getting wet. Good day out though would recommend it.

Epcot - not really much to talk about. Test Track is ok, restaurants were jammers so we left and got dinner elsewhere. We didnt really do much here again very dated looking now and not a lot we were interested in seeing.

Downtown Disney - good for going out in the evening with bars and clubs. The Lego shop, memorablia shops, etc. Highlight is Cirque Du Soleil (sp) if you are in Orlando you have to see this show absolutely fantastic. Foodwise theres loads of restaurants and a Planet Hollywood. The cinema here is very nice as well but bring a jumper its a freezer inside.

Busch Gardens - memories a little hazy on this one been about 2 years since there. Bit of a drive in the car, but has lots of great roller coasters, shows etc. We had a good day out and would recommend if possible going here.

Arabian Nights - We went to this show last year and had a good time. Foods rubbish (worse than airline meals) but the show is decent enough.

Sky Diving - if it takes your fancy Sky Dive City in Zephyr Hills is a great place. Very friendly staff etc and prices are not too bad.

Last year we also caught a Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game. Would definitely go back to one of these and again prices are quite reasonable even for great seats. Real american experience with loads going on around the arena when theres a break in play.

Food:

As a general rule we avoid any of the restaurant chains that you will see all over the place - we've had two bad experiences with these places and wont ever go back.

I can recommend Sweet Tomato its down International Drive past Wet n Wild on the left hand side of the road. You pay about $10 and pick what you want from the salad buffet, then choice of soups, baked potatoes and deserts etc with as much as want. Makes a great break from the usual fast food that everywhere seems to serve for a good price.

If you can head to Celebration, its a bit stepford wives with the perfect families, houses and town etc but has some excellent restaurants - Market Street Cafe is very nice. Cheese and bacon fries are great :). Couple of other places to be checked out as well.

Already mentioned Cheesecake factory - quick tip order the cheesecake for desert as though you are eating in. Have a bite or two then get it boxed to bring home instead of ordering the slices to go (eating in gets a bigger slice).

Theres a few nice looking restaurants down the far end of international drive away from the Wet N Wild part that look very nice. But we havent gone there yet just driven past.

Chilis on International Drive is nice as well - chicken wings smothered in hot sauce are great.

In relation to car rental you can rent if you are under 25 as long as you have a full driving license you just pay a daily surcharge sorry cant remember if its $15 or $25 a day (think its $25). I always use Hertz if booking with them register for their number 1 club online first (its free) this gets you a discount straight off. Prepay if possible - this is basically an all in price for everything you'll need. They try and offer you extra insurance at the desk when collecting but just decline this. I usually return the car full but you can also opt to return empty and its not that much more expensive than the service stations. Just be careful with what you agree to and sign as they will try and screw you for more money if they can.

Again sorry for the long post, if i think of anything else ill add it on or if anybody has any questions i can do my best to answer them. All of the above is purely personal opinion and experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I am just back.

Book your restaurants in advance,a few of them said to us we should have booked 4 - 5 months ago!

There is plenty of fast food etc but if you want anything else book now.(yes it sounds crazy)

It is worth getting the day hopper option and the all in one tickets incl fast past.You will need fast pass esp in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mcgrate

nah rent a small car and you'll be grand. We flew into nottingham, stayed in stoke-on-trent for 2 nights and drove to alton towers each morning. About 40 mins away and you have the flexibility of your own car.
    Great weekend - highly recommend it.

mcgrate wrote: »
    nah rent a small car and you'll be grand. We flew into nottingham, stayed in stoke-on-trent for 2 nights and drove to alton towers each morning. About 40 mins away and you have the flexibility of your own car.
    Great weekend - highly recommend it.
    how much roughly did that cost if ye dont mind me asking as i might treat my kids when they finnished school from cork to start with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Pythia wrote: »
    thats a good deal to me thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭BJJDUB

Prime is almost complete (as of last week) and is far superior to the old Belz Mall. In my opinion its now better than the Premium Outlet Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Is it cheaper to book flights / hotels / car seperately or just a site to get a package? Which site is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

jimmycrackcorm.. in my experience, packages are best.

Got 10 nights in Orlando (staying in Best Western Movieland on International Drive) including flights on AmericanHolidays.com

• Registered Users Posts: 40,858 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Everything has pretty much covered.

Only thing I'd have to add is that if you aren't too interested in the parades/late shows in the them parks then leave the biggest and best rides til then. There's feck all queues while everyone is occupied by the parade, especially in the Magic Kingdom.

Oh and take a drive to Daytona Beach. It's quality. The raceway is also worth a look there too.

EDIT: Just saw this bit -
    basquille wrote: »
    Oh.. and with regards to drinking in bars, the legal age is 21. I am 24 but I look VERY young. What would be the best form of ID (besides passport) as I don't fancy carrying this around with me? I've an Irish provisional license but I don't imagine they'd be too trusting of it.

I was in Chicago and Vegas when I was 20 with a fake Irish driver's license and it worked everywhere bar one place. Apparently they accept the real ones too!

I was also told that a photocopy of your passport will suffice, especially if you have that as well as your driver's license. My advice would be to make a copy and keep it in your wallet.

• Just to add- if you are there for 10 days ,hire a car and do a bit of driving.
    If you like mad lightning/thunder,then drive inland in the afternoon!
    Almost guaranteed every day.
    Drive the 40 or so miles down to cape canaveral and see the shuttle launch area and the kennedy space centre.
    Go to that early though as some of the better tours will be sold out by lunch time.

We actually drove down to Miami which took about 3 or 4 hours aswell.

As for the rides in Universal etc,it's all been said pretty well.
    I far preferred the one in LA having been to both now.
    But yes of those that you do,the mummy ride is pretty cool in a roller coaster sort of way (theres one very quick sharp drop in almost total darkness!) and the jurassic park one is pretty good as you drop very quick and steep at the end over a waterfall.

When you are there drive out to the Ritz carlton Orlando and eat in Normans restaurant in the hotel.You drive beside their golf club to get to it and the marriot is on the same property (The marriot brand and the Ritz carlton are owned by the same outfit).

The 4 way pork at that restaurant is probably the tastiest meal I've ever had in the states,I kid you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Possibly a number of these questions have been answered in previous threads but I'm looking for some fresh information and opinions.

Am heading away for 10 days in Orlando in June... so I've a couple of questions for anyone who's been there before in a similar timeframe:

Firstly.. with regards to the theme parks, myself and the girlfriend have been investigating investigating these "bundle tickets" (such as the Magic Your Way tickets). But no real ticket does all the sights and involves you buying a number of ticket bundles (which works out at about €250 each). Basically, the theme parks we're aiming for are Disneyland (The Magic Kingdom), Epcot, Seaworld and Universal Studios. Any recommendations for the tickets (or bundles) to get and where to get them?

Secondly, will the theme park queues be as bad as I'm imagining? I'm relying on Fastpass a fair bit but you can only have one Fastpass ticket at one time. :(

Thirdly, any recommendations on restaurants and / or shopping centres? Staying on International Drive in the 'Best Western Movieland' (across from Wet N Wild Water Park).

More questions to follow in time probably.

Thanks in advance.

I just got back at the weekend from 2 weeks in Orlando. Int drive is great and is full of places to eat.

IMO The best place for shopping are the prime and premium outlets at either end of I drive. Florida Mall is also good. All about 15 dollers in a taxi.

We went to all the disney parks , unilversal , seaworld / aqutica etc and the ques at disney where a nightmare.

Busch gardens in Tampa is worth a vist to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

jimmycrackcorm.. in my experience, packages are best.

Got 10 nights in Orlando (staying in Best Western Movieland on International Drive) including flights on AmericanHolidays.com

Would agree with you here Basquille but we were in the Quality Inn Plaza last year which was excellent by the way (microwave, fridge, cable tv, air con etc.).
    You can get that hotel for €350 for 7 nights on it's official site so if you got return flights for say €500 (aerlingus) you're talking 700 per person.

We got 2 standby places last year for 600 (including charges & transfers).

How much would 10 days typically set you back?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

How much would 10 days typically set you back?
    Myself and the girlfriend got the package (10 nights in the Best Western Movieland, and return flights) for €1,644 (so €822 each).

EDIT: €500 with Aer Lingus? Don't think so - flights to Orlando in June with Aer Lingus is working out at €686 each!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Myself and the girlfriend got the package (10 nights in the Best Western Movieland, and return flights) for €1,644 (so €822 each).

EDIT: €500 with Aer Lingus? Don't think so - flights to Orlando in June with Aer Lingus is working out at €686 each!

Ah right, was looking at may, works out at €530 return.
    Make sure you have everything done by 3pm in the day as the heavens will open like clockwork :)

Aside, for anyone else looking on interested in Orlando.
    Panorama have a sale on today for the first 3 weeks in June:
    €500 for direct flights (monarch) and accom. - 7 nights
    www.panoramaholidays.ie

• basquille wrote: »

Yeah all travel agents including online ones give cheaper flights when you book the accomadation as part of it.
    I just did a check there on ebookers.ie by the way flights and accomadation for two on virgin atlantic via manchester which came in at €776.83 each staying at the quality inn international drive from the 4th to the 14th of June.

American holidays aren't necessarally the cheapest if going via manchester isn't a problem-it's a very short sub one hour flight to there.
    The in-seat tv's in virgin economy with AVOD (dozens of movies and games etc on demand) would win it for me hands down compared to the awfull old Aerlingus planes and seats with the tv in the distance hanging from the ceiling that sometimes you'd need binoculars to be looking at it.

Heres the details anyhow of the test booking :

Leave Wed 4 Jun Total time: 12hr 50min Depart Dublin EI.1.gif Aer Lingus 202
    Economy | Airbus A320
    1hr 0min 06:30 Dublin Airport (DUB) Stop 1 Manchester 07:30 Manchester Int'l Airport (MAN)
    alert.3.gif Change planes. Layover: 2hr 55min
    Depart Manchester VS.1.gif Virgin Atlantic 75
    Economy | Boeing 747
    8hr 55min 10:25 Manchester Int'l Airport (MAN) Arrive Orlando, Florida 14:20 Orlando International (MCO) Return Sat 14 Jun Total time: 14hr 15min
    alert.3.gif This is an overnight flight.
    Depart Orlando, Florida VS.1.gif Virgin Atlantic 74
    Economy | Boeing 747
    8hr 10min 20:40 Orlando International (MCO) Stop 1 Manchester 09:50 Manchester Int'l Airport (MAN)
    alert.3.gif Change planes. Layover: 5hr 15min
    Depart Manchester EI.1.gif Aer Lingus 205
    Economy | Airbus A320
    0hr 50min 15:05 Manchester Int'l Airport (MAN) Arrive Dublin 15:55 Dublin Airport (DUB) Hotel

Quality Inn At International Drive , Orlando

Change hotel Change hotel
    Check-in: Wed 4 Jun 2008
    1500 Check-out: Sat 14 Jun 2008
    Number of nights: 10
    More hotel details Virtual tours
    Quality Inn At International Drive
    Overview

thumb_FL106.jpgstar2.1.gif
    7600 International Dr., Orlando, Florida 32819
    13.5 kilometers Northeast of Orlando 4.3 out of 5
    20 user reviews
    value_sm.2.gif ebookers.ie Special Offer: Save 20% on 1 night or more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Basquille, I was in Orlando at the start of June two years ago. Crowd-wise and weather-wise it was fine, yes the weather is hot, but not unbearably so. You just have to use the noggin and drink lots of water and take regular breaks in indoor, air-conditioned areas. June would be considered the start of the peak season and the further in to June you get, the more crowded it becomes. However June would still not be as crowded as July/start of August.

The Fastpass is not a stupid idea, it is a great time saver! You don’t really have to queue to get them in the first place and then when you come back at your allocated time, you join a vastly shorter queue. If used smartly, you can cut the wait time at the major rides from over an hour down to 5-10 minutes! Plus it is free! The only catch is that you can only hold one fastpass at a time, so make sure to prioritise. www.allears.net is a great site for explaining all the various ticket options and it also explains the fastpass system in depth.

With regards to the park hopper option on the ticket (which allows you to visit more than one Disney park per day) I personally do not think it is worth it. The parks are huge and you will be tired after slogging around them in the heat, I personally could never see myself doing more than one in a day. Plus they are all situated quite far apart, so it’s not like you can just hop from one to the other in a couple of minutes.

To the person who asked about the water shoes in the water parks, I wore crocs when I was there last year and regretted it, you have to take them off going down the slides or else you could lose them and that means you either have to leave them at the top or else hold them as you go down. I would recommend the water shoes that stay on tight, so you don’t have to worry about your flip-flops flying off!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

ncmc wrote: »

To the person who asked about the water shoes in the water parks, I wore crocs when I was there last year and regretted it, you have to take them off going down the slides or else you could lose them and that means you either have to leave them at the top or else hold them as you go down. I would recommend the water shoes that stay on tight, so you don’t have to worry about your flip-flops flying off!

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

ncmc wrote:
    The Fastpass is not a stupid idea, it is a great time saver! You don’t really have to queue to get them in the first place and then when you come back at your allocated time, you join a vastly shorter queue. If used smartly, you can cut the wait time at the major rides from over an hour down to 5-10 minutes! Plus it is free! The only catch is that you can only hold one fastpass at a time, so make sure to prioritise.

the theme park experts don't agree with you though, this guy gives reason why fastpass does more harm than good http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200602/45/

getting to the park before it opens, going on single-rider lines when the crowds start to arrive will result in getting through the day quicker. As mentioned we had all islands of adventures rides done 3 times by 1pm on Easter Monday this year. I used express pass (same as disney fast-pass) in islands of adventure 3 years ago and we were lucky to get each ride done once by 6pm with all the waiting around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

rossie1977 wrote: »
    the theme park experts don't agree with you though, this guy gives reason why fastpass does more harm than good http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/200602/45/

getting to the park before it opens, going on single-rider lines when the crowds start to arrive will result in getting through the day quicker. As mentioned we had all islands of adventures rides done 3 times by 1pm on Easter Monday this year. I used express pass (same as disney fast-pass) in islands of adventure 3 years ago and we were lucky to get each ride done once by 6pm with all the waiting around

I have no experiance using the Universal Express system, so I can't comment on that. However the Disney Fastpass system IS a timesaver.
    Example: Aerosmith Rock and Roll Coaster in MGM last August, queue was over an hour long by 2pm, so we got a fastpass for it (didn't have to queue for it) did a few quieter rides while waiting for our allocated time and then strolled on to the ride in less than 10 minutes using our Fastpass. This was one of many times the Fastpass saved us a tonne of time.

I'm not saying the Fastpass system is perfect and I do agree that getting to the parks early is THE BEST way to beat the queues, but surely every little thing that cuts queuing time should be utilised? Especially if it is free like the Fastpass?

As for the above link, I think most websites about Disney/Orlando, advocate the use of the Fastpasses as ONE of the time saving methods, there will always be some that disagree, but I have to say that in my own personal opinion, if used correctly and smartly, the Fastpass is a great time saving tool. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

Hi, Can anyone tell me the best deal or a family ticket to Portaventura Theme Park in Salou? Family 2 adults and 2 children heading there in August and wondering if it is best to get tickets in Ireland or at the Gate of the theme park. Also do tickets cover admitance for the water parks too.

Thanks...Bojangles

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

HI, Heading to Salou in August and wonder if it is better to buy the tickets for Portaventura theme park in Ireland or is it better to buy them over there in Salou. Also what does the ticket cover????

Thanks Bo-jangles:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Did you not find out what you need to know on their website ?

http://www.portaventura.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

Hi

if you stay at any of the Hotels they also include unlimited entrance to the park plus I think 1 ticket fot he Aqua park.

Advertisement