Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Tippjohn

The problem with manifestos is that it is a party manifesto, not a candidates. FGs tendered manifesto, I use the word losely, was a lot different to what was actioned.
    In other words whatever happens is in the lap of public acceptance or denial.
    This is why it is important to constantly lobby your TDs, even if you did not vote for them. Otherwise they consider that if nothing is said then everyone is happy with their actions or inactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

MilfordBud wrote: »
    A truly uninspiring bunch of candidates for us next time around. Then again, when has it ever been different?

Couldn’t agree more. I remember asking Tom Hayes rather seriously, but with a smile behind the seriousness what his manifesto was, all while he was telling me how I should vote for him.

His reply was 'Ha .. Manifesto, sure what do you need one of them for'
    Nuff said

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Paddico wrote: »
    Couldn’t agree more. I remember asking Tom Hayes rather seriously, but with a smile behind the seriousness what his manifesto was, all while he was telling me how I should vote for him.

His reply was 'Ha .. Manifesto, sure what do you need one of them for'
    Nuff said

Given how they basically ignored everything they promised once they got the merks and perks it sounds like he was at least honest. Let's face it if a candidate just said "Elect me. I need the money for hookers and booze" at this point I'd nearly give them a high preference just for honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Don't forget to be at the Clonmel Park Hotel on the 16th as Vincent Browne and TV3 become a magnet for every nutjob in the Premier County.

Yes, The People's Debate is coming to Clonmel!!!!!
    Be there well before 7 pm for taping at 8.

If you dislike the gays (even though the referendum has been settled) - be there!!!!

If you don't like paying for essential services, coz you never paid for anything like that ever in your life. But you'll happily pay for Sky Sports and cans o' beer - be there!!!!

If you joined Sinn Fein or the AAA coz your penis is small and you like acting the big man in some of Clonmel's working class estates (even though you live elsewhere and have a State job with a guranateed pension) - be there!!!

If you love Michael Lowry so much that you'd badly hurt another human being because she/he has a negative opinion about him - be there!!!

If your name is McGrath or McCarra - be sure to hold the first 7 rows - there'll be enough yahoos in from Newcastle and Goatenbridge to fill 'em - be there!!!

If you love the WUAG and want to load the taxpayer with more liabilities while having less and less people paying tax - watch your back as the AAA and Sinn Fein steal your clothes in Clonmel and be there!!!!!!

If you're from FF, Lab or FG - I wouldn't bother turning up - might be a rough night what with all the anger, etc.

Expunge wrote: »
    Don't forget to be at the Clonmel Park Hotel on the 16th as Vincent Browne and TV3 become a magnet for every nutjob in the Premier County.

If you dislike the gays (even though the referendum has been settled) - be there!!!!

If you don't like paying for essential services, coz you never paid for anything like that ever in your life. But you'll happily pay for Sky Sports and cans o' beer - be there!!!!

If you joined Sinn Fein or the AAA coz your penis is small and you like acting the big man in some of Clonmel's working class estates (even though you live elsewhere and have a State job with a guranateed pension) - be there!!!

If you love Michael Lowry so much that you'd badly hurt another human being because she/he has a negative opinion about him - be there!!!

If your name is McGrath or McCarra - be sure to hold the first 7 rows - there'll be enough yahoos in from Newcastle and Goatenbridge to fill 'em - be there!!!

If you love the WUAG and want to load the taxpayer with more liabilities while having less and less people paying tax - watch your back as the AAA and Sinn Fein steal your clothes in Clonmel and be there!!!!!!

If you're from FF, Lab or FG - I wouldn't bother turning up - might be a rough night what with all the anger, etc.

Brilliant post!!

• Advertisement

Who's the candidate called McCarra?

Mattie's inlaws out Newcastle side - the hardware shop, the busses etc.

It's a tight-knight, effective team he has going out there.

Mattie's inlaws out Newcastle side - the hardware shop, the busses etc.

It's a tight-knight, effective team he has going out there.

I'm not sure you should be attacking people who aren't even running. Candidates fair enough. They put themselves up for election. But their in-laws? That's just a ticket to the lawyers office.

Ah, come on now, Touts - gentle joshing is all it is.
    Show me how they are being attacked.

Shur, everyone knows the strength and effectiveness of the McGrath machine, which is based on the rock solid foundation of his family and neighbours - some of 'em anyway.

I'll be passing a few Clonmel/Cahir funeral homes this evening - I'll ask him myself if his in-laws will be upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

if you want to attack right2water it might help if you can actually explain how toll both economics is a better way to pay for services than progressive taxation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Wouldn't want to be anywhere the likes of you and your thanks girl friend in the next post are,thats for sure, and while your on it if I was of that family that you are inferring that they and their supporters are yahoos, I would be asking you to drop in to me on your way to a funeral or a removal.

Disgraceful hate filled.

tipptom wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to be anywhere the likes of you and your thanks girl friend in the next post are,thats for sure, and while your on it if I was of that family that you are inferring that they and their supporters are yahoos, I would be asking you to drop in to me on your way to a funeral or a removal.

Disgraceful hate filled.

I thought it was a brilliant tongue in cheek piece. Must be my warped sense of humour! I'll bet the bould Mattie would chuckle at it!

So, I just met Mattie up the town. I knew it was him straight away from the ubiquitous brown suit, blue Tipp baseball cap and the Nokia 3210 stuck to his ear. I said I was sorry for dissing his family and supporters. I promised a 1,2 or 3 on the ballot by way of compensation. He said that was grand - not to worry he has a grand thick skin.

He told me to tell TippTom not to have his knickers in such a twist. In fact he has offered an untwisting service for free!

So Tom, either Mattie himself will untwist your knickers at one of his clinics out in Newcastle or, if it's more convienent, Cllr Martin Lonergan or Cllr Kieran Bourke in Carrick will assist you in this matter.

Now that's public service!

So, I just met Mattie up the town. I knew it was him straight away from the ubiquitous brown suit, blue Tipp baseball cap and the Nokia 3210 stuck to his ear. I said I was sorry for dissing his family and supporters. I promised a 1,2 or 3 on the ballot by way of compensation. He said that was grand - not to worry he has a grand thick skin.

He told me to tell TippTom not to have his knickers in such a twist. In fact he has offered an untwisting service for free!

So Tom, either Mattie himself will untwist your knickers at one of his clinics out in Newcastle or, if it's more convienent, Cllr Martin Lonergan or Cllr Kieran Bourke in Carrick will assist you in this matter.

Now that's public service!

Ha HA. Love it!!!

Well, this has all been a breath of fresh air. Mattie has always been a pleasure to speak to and has helped me when I have asked. We all know the joke about *** ***** was buried at sea so that Mattie could not go to the funeral. But that is what they all do, it is public relations.
    As for relations, he has many, plus contacts. He is also a self made man, unlike virtually all Tds. he understands business and he understands the fear generated by the present government, in particular the elderly and disadvantaged.
    Quite frankly himself and S Heally are tireless, I don't know how they cope or why they bother at times.
    BTW I am not related or anything to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Tippjohn wrote: »
    Well, this has all been a breath of fresh air. Mattie has always been a pleasure to speak to and has helped me when I have asked. We all know the joke about *** ***** was buried at sea so that Mattie could not go to the funeral. But that is what they all do, it is public relations.
    As for relations, he has many, plus contacts. He is also a self made man, unlike virtually all Tds. he understands business and he understands the fear generated by the present government, in particular the elderly and disadvantaged.
    Quite frankly himself and S Heally are tireless, I don't know how they cope or why they bother at times.

What exactly have mattie and healy done for the constituency over the term of the current dail?

Look at his website and read it yourself, because I am not going to be up all night.

Would not be a supporter of Mattie but have met him a good few times and found him very personable.

One thing that really bugs me about the likes of Kenny and Gilmore who are lifelong takers of the state would have the audacity to lecture the likes of Mick Wallace about holding back VAT when your company is going under.
    This pair of idiots who have never done any service to the state except lie,pull strokes and pick up massive pay checks and pensions would have no idea what it is like to lie in bed on a Tuesday night panicking on if you will be able to make wages for everyone on a Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

He is also a self made man, unlike virtually all Tds.

That's one hell of a sweeping and false statement to be fair.

One thing that really bugs me about the likes of Kenny and Gilmore who are lifelong takers of the state would have the audacity to lecture the likes of Mick Wallace about holding back VAT when your company is going under.
    This pair of idiots who have never done any service to the state except lie,pull strokes and pick up massive pay checks and pensions would have no idea what it is like to lie in bed on a Tuesday night panicking on if you will be able to make wages for everyone on a Friday.

I am neither a supporter of Fine Gael or Labour but seriously that is so far from the truth its comical, you are with a straight face trying to argue that some jumped up local councillor has contributed more to the state than Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore

danganabu wrote: »
    That's one hell of a sweeping and false statement to be fair.

I am neither a supporter of Fine Gael or Labour but seriously that is so far from the truth its comical, you are with a straight face trying to argue that some jumped up local councillor has contributed more to the state than Enda Kenny and Eamon Gilmore
    Who is the jumped up local councillor you are talking about and where have I said he has contributed more.

What has Kenny or Gilmore contributed to this state with all the power they had and the disgraceful amount of years they have being languishing in our parliament while all that time Kenny stopped a teacher getting a full time job.
    An embarrassment of a Taoisigh with every one of his utterances and a lame duck Taoisigh forever compromised by a corrupt buisnesman.

If Fg have any sense they should jettison him for Varadkar before the election.

• Advertisement

[/B] Who is the jumped up local councillor you are talking about and where have I said he has contributed more.

What has Kenny or Gilmore contributed to this state with all the power they had and the disgraceful amount of years they have being languishing in our parliament while all that time Kenny stopped a teacher getting a full time job.
    An embarrassment of a Taoisigh with every one of his utterances and a lame duck Taoisigh forever compromised by a corrupt buisnesman.

If Fg have any sense they should jettison him for Varadkar before the election.

I was referring to Mattie McGrath and apologies I was reading your'e and Tippjohn's posts as being from the same poster.

Enda Kenny has an uncanny knack of putting his foot in it and speaking without thinking but I would not for one second accuse him of being in any way corrupt and considering his predecessors I would find it very hard to class him as an embarrassment in comparison.

Mattie McGrath who this whole debate began around on the other hand, is all waffle and no action, he jumped ship from the sinking wreckage of Fianna Fail like a rat and his only memorable contribution outside of local gombeen politics was when he tried to justify drink driving.

Out of interest have you ever met MM? Edna has no need to be criminally corrupt, he has had whatever he wants given to him for 40+ years. I don't think anyone could seriously say that the present cabinet has done anything but oppress the people of this country and waste money. Just think if IW ( which was not an eu dictate despite them pretending it was) resources had gone into health.
    I gave T Hayes my first preference and admit to being a fool.

It should be noted that for around 30 (or maybe more) of Enda Kenny's 40 years as an elected TD, he carried on the same way as all parish pump backbenchers. Apart from a stint as Minister for Trade and Tourism in the '90s, his record is unremarkable.

It is said that even today as Taoiseach, his first call of a working day is to check with constituency office in Castlebar. As far as I'm aware (and I'm open to correction on this), he's no different to Cowen, Ahern, Jack Lynch etc.

My point is that Mattie, Lowry, Alan Kelly et al do what needs to be done in the constraints of the System - and do it well.
    And that is what (most of) the voters seem to want.
    To have a chance of being elected around here, that's simply what has to be done.

It should also be noted that every time one of these County Councillors on Steroids (cause that's largely all they are) makes a representation to the HSE, VEC, Social Welfare - they are, in effect, having someone bumped down a list to bump someone else up, deserved or not.

This modus operandi also causes massive headaches to those working in these institutions - most of them trying to do their best.

That's what we have as a system and people give out about it but, ultimately, they like it for all their noise about it.

Out of interest have you ever met MM? Edna has no need to be criminally corrupt, he has had whatever he wants given to him for 40+ years. I don't think anyone could seriously say that the present cabinet has done anything but oppress the people of this country and waste money. Just think if IW ( which was not an eu dictate despite them pretending it was) resources had gone into health.
    I gave T Hayes my first preference and admit to being a fool.

Yes I have had the 'pleasure' of meeting him, wasn't very impressed to be perfectly honest, my initial opinion and haven't seen anything since to change it, was of a reasonably nice friendly man on but from a political perspective all cliches and bluster, no substance what so ever to anything he says and basically a PR machine. Off course he is hardly alone in this regard in Irish politics.

Have no idea where you are getting that re Kenny having everything handed to him for 40 plus years, he was a political insignificance for a huge part of his career, like Mr McGrath is now and will remain.

I would say that the current cabinet have done much more than oppress the people of this country and waste money and even as someone who has never voted for either party or any of there candidates I freely admit they have done reasonably well contributed plenty of positives in a time when the country was at an extremely low ebb as a result of the previous cabinets incompetence and frugality.

I do agree with you regarding the political landscape of the country as a whole and the one up manship that just basically means someone else is suffering as a result of favours and backhanders, as unfortunate as this is though I don't think its any better in nay other country and is far worse in a lot of them.

I have given my first preference to Mr Lowry the last number of elections and like you admit to being a fool for doing so!! Unfortunately owing to the neglect of our current incumbents I have along with a few thousand other Tipperary folk been discarded to Offaly, and I for one will be refusing to vote in a constituency that has fcuk all to do with me or will do fcuk all for me, North West Tipp has effectively become the residence of migrants, the Gaza Strip of the Irish political landscape and its a bloody disgrace that it was allowed happen with out as much as a debate.

All I know is that when I had some issues, MM raised them in the Dail for me. I just see MM & SH as being active people and at least relating to any one who needs their help.
    Of course it is difficult for them to achieve much as they are independent.
    PMs questions today was, as usual, an embaressment to the country.
    I was not aware that part of Tipp is now Offaly. Incredible.
    Still similar things happened in England with boundary changes and whole counties dissapearing. Shameful ethnic cleansing.
    I do despair that this country can ever recover. I cannot see it happening with all concerned kowtowing to the EU. 95% of them probably not knowing who, what or where we are.
    My reference to Kenny is that he is cradle to grave public servant who has always had pay and is looking forward to a massive reward.
    MM does at least know the reality of having to obtain work and pay staff or fall.

A great part of West Waterford has for years been in the Tipp South constituency. It has only just been returned to Waterford. This shovelling of bits of counties to and fro has always been happening.

Acutally, this is one of Deputy McGrath's great challenges this time as plenty of his voters from just past the Convent Bridge, into Kilmacomma, Kilmanahan, Fourmilewater etc. are no longer in a position to vote for him.

I am now better informed. They slipped that past me.

I am now better informed. They slipped that past me.

I wouldn't worry about it, it seemed to have slipped by our elected representatives as well!!

danganabu wrote: »
    Yes I have had the 'pleasure' of meeting him, wasn't very impressed to be perfectly honest, my initial opinion and haven't seen anything since to change it, was of a reasonably nice friendly man on but from a political perspective all cliches and bluster, no substance what so ever to anything he says and basically a PR machine. Off course he is hardly alone in this regard in Irish politics.

Have no idea where you are getting that re Kenny having everything handed to him for 40 plus years, he was a political insignificance for a huge part of his career, like Mr McGrath is now and will remain.

I would say that the current cabinet have done much more than oppress the people of this country and waste money and even as someone who has never voted for either party or any of there candidates I freely admit they have done reasonably well contributed plenty of positives in a time when the country was at an extremely low ebb as a result of the previous cabinets incompetence and frugality.

I do agree with you regarding the political landscape of the country as a whole and the one up manship that just basically means someone else is suffering as a result of favours and backhanders, as unfortunate as this is though I don't think its any better in nay other country and is far worse in a lot of them.

I have given my first preference to Mr Lowry the last number of elections and like you admit to being a fool for doing so!! Unfortunately owing to the neglect of our current incumbents I have along with a few thousand other Tipperary folk been discarded to Offaly, and I for one will be refusing to vote in a constituency that has fcuk all to do with me or will do fcuk all for me, North West Tipp has effectively become the residence of migrants, the Gaza Strip of the Irish political landscape and its a bloody disgrace that it was allowed happen with out as much as a debate.
    I have visions Mr and Mrs Danganabu raging an intifada running around a smoke filled North West Tipp with sling shots but hope is at hand now that you can have a vote to keep the Cowen dynasty in place.

• Advertisement

The great thing about N Tipp and S Tipp being one big Tipp:-) Is that they both have been spending their money as fast as possible to stop the other end using it. Every cockamamy road scheme under the sun. Gutters in cahir, an Island in Ballyclerihan ( a village that is spelt differently on each road sign of the three ways in) An Island and cycle track for the Clonmel by pass which is used mainly for sulky racing etc etc etc. All where the traffic is slow, yet where there is a clear fast road the surface is poor.

Advertisement