Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a winter outdoor jacket - latest technology?

• 14-01-2020 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭

I have a great old Craghopper jacket with a detachable fleece liner and waterproof outer. It's done a great job, but is getting shabby.

I've been looking around recently for a replacement, but two-piece jackets are not really available any more. Modern jackets seem a LOT lighter and thinner - so I don't have the confidence that they'll do the job of my old jacket.

I'm looking for a jacket that will be warm putdoors at freezing temperatures, with a wind chill factor. I could also be stationary for long periods - so I won't be generating much heat.

I've been looking at the Omni-heat technology (e.g. from Columbia). Such tech now seems quite common, and a reason for the lighter/thinner jackets. But.....I don't want to invest in a jacket which doesn't turn out to be inadequate.

Has anyone any experience of buying outdoor wear recently, or has any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Both my OH and my dad are big fans of the fleece wiht detachable rain jacket combo and have both bought them recently enough.

Have you checked
    The North Face
    Patagonia
    Jack Wolfskin
    Fjall Raven

You won't find them on the highstreet generally speaking but try shops like 53 Degrees North,Snow and Rock, or Cotwold Outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

Yeah, was in 53 Degrees North looking at the North Face, Patagonia and Columbia stuff.

I just wasn't confident enough in the performance of anything. While I don't mind spending a decent amount, I want to be sure it will be wisely spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭b318isp

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-travel-and-outdoor-jackets

I like Rohan for outdoor wear for wet & cold climates. DH relied on his when he went walking in the Himalayas and he still uses it for dog walking twenty years later. The recent stuff is very good too. I have a waterproof/wind proof lightweight jacket which is properly waterproof. Nothing seeps through no matter how much sideways rain there is.

The other brand I’ve had and recommend is RAB.

Advertisement