Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fedora 26

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

It's all Dell PC's we use so I was testing on an Optiplex 5060 (~2 years old) & then installed my own Precision 3620 (~4 years old).

Main change was removing this:
    #part biosboot --fstype=biosboot --size=1

& adding these instead:
    part /boot --fstype="ext4" --size=1024
    part /boot/efi --fstype="efi" --size=600 --fsoptions="umask=0077,shortname=winnt"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

opus wrote: »
    It's all Dell PC's we use so I was testing on an Optiplex 5060 (~2 years old) & then installed my own Precision 3620 (~4 years old).

Main change was removing this:

& adding these instead:
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    What spec PC are you using it on?

:)

i3, i5 & i7's of different generations depending on age with RAM ranging from 8Gb to 64Gb.

Anything else :)

Delightful bug caused by an update that caught my work PC this morning! Might just be happening to PC's set to the Irish timezone as well but haven't investigated that further.

The root cause and workaround for the "system not loading" issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,151 ✭✭✭limnam

Delightful bug caused by an update that caught my work PC this morning! Might just be happening to PC's set to the Irish timezone as well but haven't investigated that further.

The root cause and workaround for the "system not loading" issue!

I read this just in time.

Thanks for the heads up

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    I read this just in time.

Thanks for the heads up

I booted another pc and it booted fine without making any changes.

RedHat are working on it at least - bugzilla.

Once I opened a bug with them that they ignored for years until a large customer experienced it, but then guess Fedora is a freebie.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I see 34 is in Beta already. Ain't touching that yet. I have a college laptop because my own laptop running 32 simply dropped dead. Don't have the money for a new machine yet, but when I do, I'll be getting something with far better spec to run heavier loads that sometimes comes with Fedora and what I use it for.

I'll give it a go at work once it's released. Will be interested to see if the new sound system, PipeWire, is better than Pulse. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to help people saying my headphones aren't working.

I'll give it a go at work once it's released. Will be interested to see if the new sound system, PipeWire, is better than Pulse. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to help people saying my headphones aren't working.

Never had any problems with pulse myself. But I do hear a lot of people complain about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

My understanding is that PipeWire is not so much a replacement for PA but a comprehensive audio management tool that can use Pulse, Jack or other.

Yes, it seems quite a number of people do not understand how they can easily control audio functions through PA ....... I guess they never had need of something more than a pair of speakers or headphones.
    That and/or (IMO) laziness contributes to the glut of complaints I have come across.

Anybody been using F34 since it was released? I spent the morning tweaking my ks file to get a kickstart install working, as nearly always the version that worked with the previous release fails in new & interesting ways!

In case it's of use to anyone, the sticking point over F33 was that I had to change the keyboard name from 'uk' to 'gb' in the ks file as otherwise it failed with an ugly error.

I've been using it for a bit.

Pipewire crashed on boot a couple of times.

There was new Pipewire package in a dnf update a day or two after release and haven't noticed it happening since.

Apart from that. No major issues to report

All looks to work ok, my normal problem of VMware's VMplayer not working didn't occur this time. My final little test was to plug in my USB headphones to see if sound worked ok & indeed it does.

I'll give it a month or so & then install it on my own PC.

I need to sit down and dig into it a bit but I'm still having some audio issues after upgrading where the sound just seem to die

Looks like I'm getting hit by

https://github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects/issues/898

This is at least one of the problems.

Thanks for the update & this is the very reason I never use new versions of Fedora until they've been around a few months & I've used it myself for a month or two as I have to support the people who use it on their PC's. I might well skip Fedora 34 altogether & wait for 35 :)

Thanks for the update & this is the very reason I never use new versions of Fedora until they've been around a few months & I've used it myself for a month or two as I have to support the people who use it on their PC's. I might well skip Fedora 34 altogether & wait for 35 :)

Things have settled down for me now and we're looking pretty stable lately.

Did you make the jump?

I've been on holiday for the last four weeks :)

Tbh I'm going to wait for 35 as little point changing office PC's while people are working from home. We're currently making sure all Windows 7 boxes are moved to Windows 10 which is a lot more important.

Many months later, we finally started with Fedora 35. My boss has the first PC running it, no complaints yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

36 Seems to have passed the Go/No Go and out tomorrow.

10 releases since the thread started. Time flys. We know Opus will be given this one a miss for now :)

This seemed to have a lot more problems/blockers leading up to release than previous releases so I might give it a few weeks.

I've a Fedora 34 box laying around that could do with a new lick of paint though.

Advertisement