Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastric Banding anyone? Mod Note: No Clinic Names

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ididitatlast

stratters wrote: »
    Hi, I am new to this site. I have decided to go ahead with having a gastric band and am having my consultation tonight. I feel so guilty for spending £5,500 that I don't have but I too feel that life is slipping by and I don't want in 10 years time to be full of regrets by not having had it done. Does anybody else feel like this?

I am going through <mod edit> a company </mod edit> but seriously looked into going to Brussels but unfortunately the cost does not cover you for transfusions if needed, intensive care if needed etc. Does anybody know of a cheaper company in England?

Marie

hi i got mine down 3 weeks ago in dublin very expensive but if u get it done outside ireland no one will see u in a hospital here. and lucky i did as got bad infection and was able to go get it seen to straight away,,, let me know how you get on i'd love to talk to others who have it done or getting it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

stratters wrote: »

I am going through <mod edit> a company </mod edit> but seriously looked into going to Brussels but unfortunately the cost does not cover you for transfusions if needed, intensive care if needed etc. Does anybody know of a cheaper company in England?

Marie

Hi Marie!

welcome to boards. Please don't mention any company names on the thread, other than that, let us know how you get on..thanks!

tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Psychic Lady

Hi All,

Just seen this thread, im thinking about having the gastric band done too. I've been overweight all my life and am now seriously obese. I have tried every diet under the sun plus tablets and Lipotrim! My Doctor has mentioned it to me once or twice and i am now seriously thinking about it as my health is being majorally affected this past few years and im only 28. I have made a general enquiry to <snip> but just want to know if anyone can advise me on where to start and how much this will generally cost? Also is there a hospital in the Northwest or West which does this procedure?

Thanks for your help!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 40dd

wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm looking for people to chat about either having had Gastric Band fitted or are considering having it done?
    I am currently booked for consultation & if approved will be "done" mid April.
    history of yoyo dieting, depression & low self esteem since communion age. Have sucessfully dieted numerous times but struggled always to maintain loss...biggest & most recent loss being 7 stone
    (sensibly, I might add...through hard work,diet, personal training & excercise)

Weight now back on AGAIN & am devastated. have considered having band before but never thought I actually would.
    I finally admit I feel powerless against this never ending battle.
    My husband, sister & best friend know about this & are with me 100%, but
    I have not discussed this with other friends as I am not confident I would get support (small town) there is a stigma that it is the easy way out.
    I have lost over 20 stone in my lifetime, that is not easy, either is living with yourself having reached a position of personal empowerment of achieving massive weight loss only to end up with it all back on.

Gastric banding is not a magic wand that makes you skinny...It supports you while learning to change your behaviour & helps enforce LONG TERM lifestyle change.
    I believe this is a major key factor for yoyo dieters as we generally can't go very long without having a bad day/binge, thus breaking the cycle of "good behaviour"
    My health is affected.. I wanted to start a family this year, this is now on hold.
    My life is being wasted, my weight & subsequent damage to my self esteem has ruined & robbed me of a lot of life experiences. I pick myself up off the ground again & again only to end up crumpled back there over & over.
    I cannot go through another weight loss only to gain again...it would kill me emotionally.
    I am having this surgery if I am approved to face this problem once more & this time to use the band as my support & ally.
    I have been board messaging with a lot of people who had this done, but all from the US & UK.
    I'd love to hear personal experience from an Irish point of view

Anyone have anything to share on the subject?

Hiya cufroige,

Im heading off to Belgium at the end of this month to have banding done, I have to say Im quite nervous about going under aneastetic because of my weight which is almost 16 stone at the moment the highest its ever been. Like you I have yo yo dieted over the past few years each time I lose weight I seem to put it all back on and some more!!! So I have not come to this decision easily I know its not a miricle and you have to alter your behaviours for it to be sucessful but the way I see it is you just cant stuff your face anymore no matter what it is your eating and I know for sure my portion sizes are way out of control, I wouldnt be a junk food freak and I eat a lot of fruit and high fibre stuff but when it comes to my dinner my serving could well do two people and thats no lie and even if Im stuffed I still keep going so I NEED a limiter and thats just that!!!

I have the details of where I am going to and if you want I will tell you how I got on, I know a few people now who have had it done and that has inspired me to finally make the decision because they are all doing brilliant on it, one girl I know had it done the end of jan and has already lost 3 stone even though she is still eating take aways every night (something I dont intend to do defeats the purpose really) but still it has to be said she has lost a lot.

I wish you every success no matter what you decide and completely empathise with your situation as mine is very similar, feck those who tell you exercise and eat well, you have already done that its keeping it off and sticking to it thats the hard part and thats were the band helps some people can do it themselves I CANT and it seems you cant either. If the people in ur town see you losing the weight again tell them youve done it through diet like before its none of their business anyway and you have done brilliant before and should be well proud of what you have done in the past I thought I was great losing 3 stone and boy was that hard so hats of to you girl for losing 7 I think your fantastic.

Id love to keep in contact with you and see how we fare out cos like urself I havnt talked to many people about this and as you say there is a stigma and you are made to feel weak and like a failure for having to resport to this drastic action but I dont care anymore Im doing this for me Im nearly 37 and I want to live my life before its over and do things I cant do being fat Ive spent enough time hiding away in my sitting room its time for this girl to shine!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope to talk to you soon honey,
    40dd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 40dd

Hi All,

Just seen this thread, im thinking about having the gastric band done too. I've been overweight all my life and am now seriously obese. I have tried every diet under the sun plus tablets and Lipotrim! My Doctor has mentioned it to me once or twice and i am now seriously thinking about it as my health is being majorally affected this past few years and im only 28. I have made a general enquiry to The Hospital Group but just want to know if anyone can advise me on where to start and how much this will generally cost? Also is there a hospital in the Northwest or West which does this procedure?

Thanks for your help!

:)

Im going to Belgium at the end of the month Im too seriously overyweight my BMI is now 42!!!! I have joint problems, high blood pressure, cholestrole ect and I am praying I dont get diabetis and hope I catch it in time before I do as it seems to be the only fat related desease left that I havnt got!!!

If you want to talk about having it done I'll be more than willing to answer any questions you have when I come home, Im still full of q's myself and have asked a few people how they got on (on seem to be doing brilliant) so Im here if you need it!!!!

• Advertisement

40dd wrote: »
    Im going to Belgium at the end of the month Im too seriously overyweight my BMI is now 42!!!! I have joint problems, high blood pressure, cholestrole ect and I am praying I dont get diabetis and hope I catch it in time before I do as it seems to be the only fat related desease left that I havnt got!!!

If you want to talk about having it done I'll be more than willing to answer any questions you have when I come home, Im still full of q's myself and have asked a few people how they got on (on seem to be doing brilliant) so Im here if you need it!!!!

Hi 40dd,

Thanks for your response, i'd love to hear how u get on in Belgium. My BMI is now 52 so i really need to get something done about it! i have the joint problems and suffer alot with muscle problems too! keep getting flus and cant fight them, get outta breath walking up the stairs etc. I think this is my last resort! I got in contact with <snip>, they woman was very helpful told me i would not suit the balloon as this is just for 6 mths and i would be best thinking about getting the band or bypass. I would have to see a consultant in Dublin costing €75 which would then be deducted from the total cost if i went ahead. All my aftercare would be in their Galway hospital which all sounded great until she told me i would have to get the surgery in Leeds! i was hoping to have the surgery in Ireland but at this stage i would def consider going to the UK! My only query now is, does health insurance providers cover this type of surgery? and also if i was to have surgery abroad will i get aftercare in Ireland?

Any advice is much appreciated! Please keep me informed of how u are getting on in preparing for your surgery and if you find out any more information on it!

Take Care!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Right!! Never really thought i would say this on the internet but I know what this girl is going through!!

I have PCO and cant shift the weight!! I am not lazy in fact i love LOVE swimming and basketball!! I have 3 dogs and we have the road worn away out side my house.

I am getting the gastric bypass done! NOT the banding not the balloon because the danger in them seems to be more than the bypass.

The bypass is difficult! Its not easy its not a magically operation. You can eat very little and its tough!!

You have to be trained you cant get it done then stuff your face, You have to remember that your vitamins are important so they are always to be taken first. You wont have room for sweets or crap.

But its like you cut off your finger and then take a nurafen. your not getting to the root of the problem. People eat to comfort themselves 9out of 10 do. Write down the time and what you eat for a couple of days you will see if there is a pattern.

I went to my doctor I said I want to have kids and I cant fight the PCO she agreed with me. I need to lose weight to have kids the PCO prevents me from losing weight. horrible circle

I am going to the Bons in cork its 15,000 but i could go to a cosmetic sugery practice but i know of people who did and because the surgeron messed up the operation and denied it was his fault the person had to fork out more money to have a second operation.

for the sake of 5,000 I will pay to go to the bons. The doctor is brillant and my gp knows him she said she hates any of these operations and nearly gave me an exam on what i knew to make sure I know what i am getting my self involved in.

I could died during or after the op! But i could die out walking my dogs down the road trying to lose weight! or my heart being crushed by my weight at night could kill me.

Its a chance i will take because hopefully I will be back in hospital and looking in to the eyes of my baby, and smiling to my self knowing that it was all worth it!

PM me if you would like to talk in private

Silently loud

I also have pcos and for many years had many miscarrigaes and in 2003 i had a ectopic pregnancy... for years since i was a teen my weight has gone up and down, i have been on pills slimming world weight watchers etc with not a great result, i made my self very ill in 2001 on slimming pills brought from a back st in london? Any ways what im trying to get at is im nearly 35 i fell preganant after i had my ectopic pregnancy the doctor who was treating me at that time took pity on my and gave me tamoxifen fertility drugs also used for women who have breast cancer, but amazingly it worked on the first cycle, i was over the moon. My daughter was born in 2005 healthy but my weight at this time had balloned to 18 stone, i have tried everty thing for weight loss im now 25 stone very unhappy, but my gp is dragging his heels for months he has been telling me he has reffered me but i have not heard anything...... does anyone know why it takes so long? I have severe back problems and im on sleeping tabs at night they seem to dish these tabs out like sweeties????? Im a single mum, been thru a nasty divorce, but want to enjoy my life with my 4 year old princess, im ashamed to go out i hate me???? :-(

I havent got much further since i last posted as my doc is on holidays, im hoping to get an appointment with him asap tho. i rang quinn healthcare to see if they will cover some of the cost and they want me to get my GP to refer me to a consultant and the consultant will have to draw up a report to state that i am eligible for the surgery, send this back to quinn and they will assess it and get back to me! They also stated that they will only cover surgery in st columcilles in loughlinstown! has anybody else had this experience with them? i dont want to have to go through with all this if they will not cover some of the cost!

Thx!!

Folks - we the mods have left this thread open since it started, despite the fact that we have to check it at least once a day to ensure that NO COMPANY NAMES are mentioned. We owe it to the posters on this thread to ensure they are getting genuine, non-biased information. The only way we can do this is to make sure no company names are mentioned. This is to prevent employees from companies posing as satisfied customers in an attempt to dupe ye.

Please help us to help you BY NOT NAMING ANY COMPANIES you may have dealt with. If people want to know who you went through, they can send you a message. PLEASE don't force us to issue infractions and bannings, nobody wants that, but that's becoming the only alternative. You can see messages where we've asked people not to mention companies, and the very next post contains the name of a company. What choice are we left with?

thanks,
    mods.

tbh wrote: »
    Folks - we the mods have left this thread open since it started, despite the fact that we have to check it at least once a day to ensure that NO COMPANY NAMES are mentioned. We owe it to the posters on this thread to ensure they are getting genuine, non-biased information. The only way we can do this is to make sure no company names are mentioned. This is to prevent employees from companies posing as satisfied customers in an attempt to dupe ye.

Please help us to help you BY NOT NAMING ANY COMPANIES you may have dealt with. If people want to know who you went through, they can send you a message. PLEASE don't force us to issue infractions and bannings, nobody wants that, but that's becoming the only alternative. You can see messages where we've asked people not to mention companies, and the very next post contains the name of a company. What choice are we left with?

thanks,
    mods.

OOPS!! So sorry about that, i've learnt from my mistake!

• Advertisement

no problems at all - didn't mean to single you out either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ididitatlast

hi all.

i got mine done april second in dublin and i can not say how happy i am. on wednesday at my first fill i have lost 35lbs since i got operation i am over the moon:D:D:D

this is the start of my life i am so happy.. has anyone else got theirs done and how are they doing?

hi all.

i got mine done april second in dublin and i can not say how happy i am. on wednesday at my first fill i have lost 35lbs since i got operation i am over the moon:D:D:D

this is the start of my life i am so happy.. has anyone else got theirs done and how are they doing?

WOW!!!!! Well Done that is excellent progress so far! I'd love to hear more about your surgery, like how you got through it and what you have to do now foodwise! I went to my GP last week to talk about being referred to a consultant, they want me to do up a food diary of what i eat for a week and they want to review it! after 28 yrs they want to review what i eat now! i'm with Weight Watchers and have 1 pound left to get my 1st stone off but i still think i need the surgery! i'll keep you all informed on any progress!

Hi guys,
    I went for my inital consultation today in Dublin
    Surgeon has hurt his hand so unable to perform surgery till end of July really
    I also feel, why spend so much money but on the other hand, why waste
    any more of my life feeling so unhappy with my weight.
    They were lovely and non judgemental and feel excited now but nervous
    that my love affair with food is gonna be over!!!

The consultant advised me that there was 15 people in yesterday who've already
    had their bands - where are they!!! I've so many questions to ask them.....
    I've 6 stone to loose. Can't wait to throw away all them Evan's clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TOMSIE

Hello,I am Thomas though i should mention that their are groups like overeater anoymous around, for people who have problems with their food. These groups dont seem to be advertised much, i didnt know about it till a few months ago and their cheap a few euro a meeting. I am aged 29 and around 20 stone and it great to hear of people getting results from these operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

I am morbidly obese. Last December my GP sent me up to Loughlinstown for a consultation. Needless to say when i was weighed i got the fright of my life. I weighed in at 29st 2lb. Im 6ft 2" but never in my life did i weigh so much, i was always around 24-25st. Since December i have lost 2 stone and need to loose another 6-8 lb to get a consultation to have the Gastric Band done. I cant speak highly enough of the team up there and i had no intention of having any sort of operation done. But after a few monthly meetings and some sound advice, i am going ahead with the Gastric Band as soon as ive a bit more weight lost. I would like to hear how people felt after the operation and how long it took to get back on your feet. Thanks !!!!

I am morbidly obese and contacted my health insurers to cover the cost of a gastric band, they told me that if I was covered I could only get the surgery done in Loughlinstown. When i contacted Loughlinstown I was told there is an 18 month waiting list. I need the surgery now! Has anyone else encountered this obvious excuse to decline cover and can anything be done to combat this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amygalway

Hey i was wondering what weight do you need to be ti have this band?

Hi, I suppose it depends on what size you are. When I went to have my operation I was the smallest there among the girls that were having the op. If you go for a consulation they will weigh you and measure your BMI. So its different for everyone. If you were say 7kgs overweight they wouldn't consider you.

Hi. I am in Dublin and wish to have the gastric band fitted too. I have just sent the email to the clinic for consultation. reading your story is like looking at my own life. If you're interested ina chat, I'd love to hear from you...
    cufroige wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm looking for people to chat about either having had Gastric Band fitted or are considering having it done?
    I am currently booked for consultation & if approved will be "done" mid April.
    history of yoyo dieting, depression & low self esteem since communion age. Have sucessfully dieted numerous times but struggled always to maintain loss...biggest & most recent loss being 7 stone
    (sensibly, I might add...through hard work,diet, personal training & excercise)

Weight now back on AGAIN & am devastated. have considered having band before but never thought I actually would.
    I finally admit I feel powerless against this never ending battle.
    My husband, sister & best friend know about this & are with me 100%, but
    I have not discussed this with other friends as I am not confident I would get support (small town) there is a stigma that it is the easy way out.
    I have lost over 20 stone in my lifetime, that is not easy, either is living with yourself having reached a position of personal empowerment of achieving massive weight loss only to end up with it all back on.

Gastric banding is not a magic wand that makes you skinny...It supports you while learning to change your behaviour & helps enforce LONG TERM lifestyle change.
    I believe this is a major key factor for yoyo dieters as we generally can't go very long without having a bad day/binge, thus breaking the cycle of "good behaviour"
    My health is affected.. I wanted to start a family this year, this is now on hold.
    My life is being wasted, my weight & subsequent damage to my self esteem has ruined & robbed me of a lot of life experiences. I pick myself up off the ground again & again only to end up crumpled back there over & over.
    I cannot go through another weight loss only to gain again...it would kill me emotionally.
    I am having this surgery if I am approved to face this problem once more & this time to use the band as my support & ally.
    I have been board messaging with a lot of people who had this done, but all from the US & UK.
    I'd love to hear personal experience from an Irish point of view

Anyone have anything to share on the subject?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silvery999

Hi. You're not alone in this! :o) I am very interested in your story and how you're getting on. Have been researching places to have this done. Just sent an email to nearest clinic. Best price here so far is 9 grand! Is it that much where you're going? Some places offer it at half price if you travel outside Europe but no way...if am doing it (which I definitely am) I am gonna have it donw where I can leggit back should I need help! Best of luck with it...let me know how you get on when you can!
    I am morbidly obese. Last December my GP sent me up to Loughlinstown for a consultation. Needless to say when i was weighed i got the fright of my life. I weighed in at 29st 2lb. Im 6ft 2" but never in my life did i weigh so much, i was always around 24-25st. Since December i have lost 2 stone and need to loose another 6-8 lb to get a consultation to have the Gastric Band done. I cant speak highly enough of the team up there and i had no intention of having any sort of operation done. But after a few monthly meetings and some sound advice, i am going ahead with the Gastric Band as soon as ive a bit more weight lost. I would like to hear how people felt after the operation and how long it took to get back on your feet. Thanks !!!!

HI GUYS
    I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOMEONE THAT HAS HAD THE BAND DONE AND HOW THEY FEEL AND COPE LATER. I AM PLANNING TO HAVE IT DONE IN AUGUST BUT HAVE SOME CONCERNS IF I WILL COPE.

THANKS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Patti D.

ive found a brillant support site for gastric banding and bypass that in the uk if anyone would like the address of it PM me. or moderators can i put the address up?

Im toying with the idea of having a band fitted and already have made contact with 2 irish girls, one whos had it done and the other who's going to belgium for one.

Patti D. wrote: »
    ive found a brillant support site for gastric banding and bypass that in the uk if anyone would like the address of it PM me. or moderators can i put the address up?

Im toying with the idea of having a band fitted and already have made contact with 2 irish girls, one whos had it done and the other who's going to belgium for one.

I appreciate you asking, but I'd also appreciate it if you didn't post links - thanks Patti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Patti D.

No problem i understand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Hi there

I went to a hospital in Dublin and they are quoting a price of 11700 euro's.

A friend of my mum's went to Brussels to have it done with one of the most reputable surgeons in Europe and I'm having my band fitted on 12th August.
    I'm actually meeting with surgeon tomorrow in dublin as he visits Dublin once a month, along with Edinburgh, London and now Bristol. Its costs 4070 euros and that includes hotels.

For the surgeons to consider you for banding you must have a BMI above 40 or a BMI between 35 and 40 with an other illness like blood pressure, diabetes etc.
    You can get you BMI by dividing you weight in to your height - a healthy range is between 20 - 25.

Any more questions feel free to ask

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 longlashes101

Hi there,
    have been attending Loughlinstown for the past 8 months have managed to loose about 1.5 stone:rolleyes: the support there is great.
    Would not have initially considered surgery but am thinking about it more and more. i could be years trying to loose the weight i need to loose.

Like some posts on this i would be thinking more along the lines of gastric banding but the more horror stories i hear about the more i am thinking no:eek: and am leaning towards the gastric bypass.. had been asked in a few of the consultations if I had considered surgery but had said at the time that i would rather try to do it on my own.

Can anyone in the same boat pm me or let me know how you are getting on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 janette24us

Hi there

I went to a hospital in Dublin and they are quoting a price of 11700 euro's.

A friend of my mum's went to Brussels to have it done with one of the most reputable surgeons in Europe and I'm having my band fitted on 12th August.
    I'm actually meeting with surgeon tomorrow in dublin as he visits Dublin once a month, along with Edinburgh, London and now Bristol. Its costs 4070 euros and that includes hotels.

For the surgeons to consider you for banding you must have a BMI above 40 or a BMI between 35 and 40 with an other illness like blood pressure, diabetes etc.
    You can get you BMI by dividing you weight in to your height - a healthy range is between 20 - 25.

Any more questions feel free to ask

S
    i would like to find out about that place in Brussels as i am thinking of having the same done so can you send me (pm) any information you have on the place

• Hi

I am a 27 yr old male who has been considering surgery since January, where i had chosen to go abroad because VHI don't cover this type of operation, i have since found out otherwise and have been pursuing this.

I got a referal for Loughlinstown but i just found out that there is public as in not VHI and the wait is two years for initial consultation.

My G.P. has helped me lots but is kind of at a loss as to where to go next, VHI cover the procedure in a few places and i was wondering does anyone know of these places and if you could advise me, VHI can't they say as it would make them biased.

I intially was considering the Gastric Sleeve abroad but if getting it done in Dublin i would get the band.

Does anyone know also whether the Sleeve is done here and covered by VHI as sometimes it's very hard to get the info out of them.

I am getting increasingly frustrated as i keep hitting brick walls and no one answers or returns your calls.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Irishlad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭celticfan32

I just had my consultation for my weight loss surgery last week. To be honest i was quiet surprised with the surgeon's reaction. My own GP has told me to go for the gastric band and thats what i want too. The surgeon spoke to me about the banding and bypass and told me he prefers the bypass than the band. I told him i wanted the band and he sent me away to think about the bypass. I have done alot of research on both and the band seems to be the best option for me. My BMI is 48.5 and he thinks the band wont work for me. Since last December im nearly down 2 stone, due to excercising 3-4 times a week and watching my diet (except weekends, where im not at my best). Anyone else have this problem with their surgeon?

Advertisement