Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cap 2 2015 Thread

• 15-11-2014 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Thought it might be worthwhile having a thread for those of us sitting CAP 2 next June

I realise it is still very early days but `from talking to others the CAP 2's require hard work from day 1.

I myself am doing all four exams.

Would love to hear from past CAP 2 students about any tips/advice they would have or what they would do differently if they were doing them again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Don't leave all the study til study leave, there's a lot to get through and the time goes quicker than you think!

Try your best at the interim exams. If you're adequately prepared, they're easy-ish marks and it takes the pressure off a little in the summer.

Practice as many questions as possible, especially in FR. You can't learn FR off, you just have to practice questions and journals.

It's worth trying your best at the mocks, you might still fail but it's handy to practice timing, etc.

If I can think of anything else, I'll let ye know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

audit is the same as FR, notes mean feck all! its all about adaption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Anybody know what the SFMA tutorial covers on Thursday? Is it a help class for students struggling or is it just another lecture with new content?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ChartAccount

Im doing audit and Tax. I have never done an open book exam!

Is there a class or something to show you how to prepare the audit file?

I think i heard something like that!

Do you guys have any chartered grinds notes for Audit and tax?

tbh open book really doesn't help at all, it can help if there is a piece of information you are looking for but tbh thats about it! what i did was tab all the important bits like substantive testing, gathering good audit evidence etc....i learned from the mocks that taking stuff from the book will more lose you marks than gain them. its all about adaption of what you know and whats in front of you. and audit answers can be very short... it took awhile for me to get around the aca solutions and whats actually needed in the exam.... and then the best thing you can do is just questions, thats what going to get you the 50% and thats what its all about really

• Advertisement

Anyone any tips on FR? I'm pretty lost on it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Aca student29

hi y'all

dont know if im really best to give these tips, as i am repeating 3/4 exams
    again this year. But this is what I am going to try this year. the exams are
    all about technique, timing and strategy, 90%!. honestly, last august and
    November, I saw ppl pass that had trouble calculating depreciation, and
    others who were the best brains in the class and always gave their input fail,
    it is so dis-heartening!!

Aca does not prepare you for these exams well enough, and I cannot stress the timing issues, along with been able to scan the exam paper effectively to get the best q's answered.
    YOU WILL NOT FINNISH THE PAPER COMPLETELY, especially sfma & Fr this was a hard pill to swallow but everyone was in the same boat to some degree. I am aiming to focus on questions over & Over and then if I have time will do some background reading etc, not easy when your in a busy practice, let me tell ya when you get home you don't want to look at a calculator!!! The FR assessment is VITAL, as I observed last year there was in reality and according to the exam reports a trend with the assessment those that did well in interim passed summer, not the case with sfma, I got 11/15, and got 38% in summer, 46% in autumn, I know ppl that got 7-8/15 and passed in summer!! so focus on FR.

Also dont use up all your holidays and hold some in case for September, especially if you are doing 4 subjects as it is unlikely you will get all 4. some ppl do, but not as many as you think, i heard of 1 and i dont know the person, the norm seems 2 pass first time!

Sorry to put a downer on it, but i wish i heard this last yr, i would maybe have adopted a different approach and would have not left all to study leave, and i chose not too do mocks
    as i was busy with work nd stuff and had no prep done, BIG MISTAKE. if all you can do is write your student no. i would still sit them to get a proper feel! Open book is crock of ****,and would only be useful for tax, but is not allowed.

Anyone else have any thoughts??

hey,

I would learn off your rules for Tax, don't wait for cgs notes to be out, it is actually a book they give so
    its not easy to photocopy and it will be kinda late out, and last years is no good.
    Audit is a very passable subject and I would do aca revisions
    for that, i did and got it on repeat. The open book is not a good strategy to adopt as it too time consuming.

I would have only 1 folder and know it inside out as well as having it tabbed as panic will do crazy things to u in the
    exam. Do questions over and over, and in particular the ethical standards the ES1 etc. come into every question
    nearly, and is a big no no to mess up.

Take it handy with your study and pace yourself, i wish i did modular as i would have had the time to focus more
    on just 2 at a time and it makes a great foundation. I did a month of FAE whilst awaiting the results and i actually thought
    it easier than cap 2 although still a lot of work but less technical and more interpretation and advice, so honestly go
    back to the days of learning your times tables and learn all rules etc. that way if you have the time, it will benefit you
    hugely!!

hey,

I would learn off your rules for Tax, don't wait for cgs notes to be out, it is actually a book they give so
    its not easy to photocopy and it will be kinda late out, and last years is no good.
    for that, i did and got it on repeat. The open book is not a good strategy to adopt as it too time consuming.

I would have only 1 folder and know it inside out as well as having it tabbed as panic will do crazy things to u in the
    exam. Do questions over and over, and in particular the ethical standards the ES1 etc. come into every question

Take it handy with your study and pace yourself, i wish i did modular as i would have had the time to focus more
    on just 2 at a time and it makes a great foundation. I did a month of FAE whilst awaiting the results and i actually thought
    it easier than cap 2 although still a lot of work but less technical and more interpretation and advice, so honestly go
    back to the days of learning your times tables and learn all rules etc. that way if you have the time, it will benefit you
    hugely!!
    Aca student29 is online now Report Post

hey chart Account,

hugely!!
    Aca student29 is online now Report Post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 cap2again

Can anyone post the notes and question & solution packs for FR, Auditng and SFMA. I'm In a small firm and don't have access to themas i am repeating. It would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cap2again

Can anyone post the notes and question & solution packs for FR, Auditng and SFMA. I'm In a small firm and don't have access to them, as i am repeating. It would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Aca does not prepare you for these exams well enough, and I cannot stress the timing issues, along with been able to scan the exam paper effectively to get the best q's answered.
    YOU WILL NOT FINNISH THE PAPER COMPLETELY, especially sfma & Fr this was a hard pill to swallow but everyone was in the same boat to some degree.

I disagree with some of this. I think ACA does as much as they can but you have to work away yourself throughout the year which can be difficult on top of work I know.

It's very possible to finish all the papers, but it really does take work. With FR I wrote out the template for the sploci and sofp at the start of the exam and just put on figures as I went. I knew the layouts off by heart so I didn't even have to think about it.

I think the most important thing is to figure out how many minutes you have per q and stick to it. You should be able to attempt all parts of the paper.

Everyone should attempt the mocks. You won't have time to study but just bring in your notes and books and practice using them. You will more than likely fail the mocks but they are so handy! Don't just sign your name and leave! I know people who did that last year and they really regretted it afterwards.

Does anyone havr cgs notes for audit snd tax...Thanks

Has anyone heard of the ACArevisions .com ????

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Has anyone heard of the ACArevisions .com ????

I never heard of them to be honest. They are a little cheaper than Chartered Grind School though and on a month earlier from a quick browse so that might help get you in exam mode earlier.

I personally would choose CGS as they get such great feedback from students.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

When do we receive results from the interim assessments?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Boss of all men

Results are out on the 27th of February for the assessments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Aloicia

Can anyone post the answers to the FR interim exam Jan 2015 please. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 miii

Hi

I am sitting SFMA this year in June and wondering if anyone would be willing to send me their notes for it as mine are out of date, thanks in advance would really appreciate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Hi guys I'm looking for a favour. I failed FR and Tax ROI last year so I was just looking to get the updated tax notes for this year. If any kind soul would like to send me on a copy I'd be so grateful. You can PM and I'll give you my email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claireon88

Hi folks, I'm sitting sfma and fr this year so could email anyone wanting up to date notes. If you private mail me your email addresses I will get around to it at some stage in the next few weeks for you.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭bigmc23

claireon88 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm sitting sfma and fr this year so could email anyone wanting up to date notes. If you private mail me your email addresses I will get around to it at some stage in the next few weeks for you.

:)

PMd you claire :)

Hi guys, does anyone have Audit and Tax notes please!!! Thanks

anyone tips on how to prep notes for SFMA?

Seriously. Does anybody have audit notes please.........someone here must have them but probably just too busy to pdf them but interim exam is soon.

im looking for act grind notes. .I have paid for grinds but I want notes now but they dont give them till classes.

Help. Stress is kicking in big time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 claireon88

Hi folks,

I think I've replied to everyone that wanted a copy of FR and/or SFMA notes.

If you haven't received an email from me and wanted the notes could you PM me your email address again and I'll get the notes sent through to you.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 30 CAIgirl

How's everyone getting on ? Booked the chartered grind school course hopefully that will be good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Does anyone know when we will be getting the mock results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 elle.en

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Does anyone know when we will be getting the mock results?

I've heard 2nd May but not sure how true it is

Advertisement