Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Laptop?

• 18-11-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Thanks in advance guys for any help.
    This is for my 13yr old who has just started seconday school. So only for school projects etc... No gaming.
    I would however, like to get the best possible laptop that may last a few years.
    My budget is €300 - €400.
    I have narrowed the selection to 2 possibles (apologies, less than 5 posts, can’t post link)
    Lenovo ideapad 330s 15.6in Pentium 4gb 128gb ssd from Argos - €343
    Or
    HP15 15.6” intel core i3 1tb hdd from currys - €379

The hp has an i3 7100u processor with 1tb hdd

The Lenovo has a Intel Pentium 4415u processor with 128 ssd storage.
    I’m no expert, but is the Lenovo faster with the ssd instead of the hdd?

Many thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Razzledazzle76

Sorry brain fart... posted
    in laptops now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Yes the SSD will make a massive difference in speed but does it cone with a HDD as well? As 60 of the 120gb will be used up by windows alone.

I'd consider the second laptop and add my own SSD. But that would also mean formating the HDD it comes with and reinstalling windows on the SSD, opening the laptop to do so would probably void the warranty. Also didn't state which generation i3 on the second.

First one is probably the safest bet. Use an external HDD for more storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Razzledazzle76

Thanks killanena. No hdd on the lenovo, and I definitely won't be opening any laptop!
    Seems like a decent price for both laptops...
    Thanks again

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Will close this up as OP has posted in correct forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement