Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel 4 Catch Up

• 04-04-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi, i hope this is in the correct thread. I recently cottoned on to 'catch up' on Channel 4. But it seems like in recent days they've change their website and I can no longer access programs to catch up on. Is it just me, or have they 'banned' outside UK viewers? Piff poff if that is the case. Anyone any the wiser?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Oddly on the Satellite & TV forums, BBC, ITV & C4 is not regarded as "Foreign".

However your question is not really to do with satellite, Cable or TV Reception at all.

I'll move it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I've previously used 4oD dating back to when they first started it, didn't like the program so got rid of it

4oD websites clearly states "Live in the UK or Eire" so its not blocked in Ireland, best reinstall it something then

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lambchops

A change to the website wouldn't mean a sudden change in the abilty to use their service. Honestly I haven't used 4oD since the launch but as long as they advertise it's availabilty in Eire then you shouldn't have any problems. I would go with what Cabaal says and re-install the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

I have the 4OD downloaded onto my laptop so i can download a program and watch it at a later time/day.
    Never had an issue with it or the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Thanks for the replies, I'll reinstalled the app then, thanks again.

• Advertisement

Their online catchup service has been blocked to Ireland since the revamp a few days ago. If you try to play a video you just get a generic error but they say they're rolling out an update on Wednesday to give a geo-lock error. They claim that the 4oD application still works though.

EDIT: I can confirm that the 4oD application still works, I just tried it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

megapixel wrote: »
    I have the 4OD downloaded onto my laptop so i can download a program and watch it at a later time/day.
    Never had an issue with it or the website.
    The problem with it is that it's a P2P system where you have no direct control on the amount of your bandwidth that's used to share what you've downloaded with the rest of the world. That's why I deleted it. There are third party tools that allow you turn sharing on or off completely, but not to limit it in any way like there is on most other P2P type clients such as used for BitTorrent for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Same problem with Sky's Kontiki or BBC iPlayer.

If it gets popular it will put TPBers to a small priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Karsini wrote: »
    Their online catchup service has been blocked to Ireland since the revamp a few days ago. If you try to play a video you just get a generic error but they say they're rolling out an update on Wednesday to give a geo-lock error. They claim that the 4oD application still works though.

EDIT: I can confirm that the 4oD application still works, I just tried it now.

It's such a shame Catch Up no longer works in ROI. Hope 4OD won't follow....

Weyhey wrote: »
    It's such a shame Catch Up no longer works in ROI. Hope 4OD won't follow....

You jinxed it! :eek: :p
    Dear 4oD user,

You may have seen or heard rumours in the press about changes to 4oD. As a valued 4oD user we thought we'd let you know exactly what this will mean for you and help clear up any confusion.

No doubt you're already aware that you can watch 4oD Catch-Up on our new improved channel4.com (and if you haven't tried it yet, what are you waiting for?). All the content is streamed which makes it really easy to use, you shouldn't need to download anything - simply find what you want to watch and hit "Play". Oh, and non-Windows users will be pleased to know that 4oD Catch-Up on channel4.com is now Mac and Linux compatible.

From around the end of June you'll also be able to watch all our archive programmes on channel4.com. Which means all your favourites will be in one place and available for free.

Of course you're welcome to use your 4oD application until then if you prefer, although you may find that you are no longer able to download or rent some programmes or films. However you may be interested to know that many popular 4oD programmes are available to buy and keep on itunes.

Rest assured that if you have ever entered your payment card details to rent or purchase a programme on 4oD these will be fully removed from the system once the 4oD application closes. However your customer account will remain active and can be used for other channel4.com services.

Above all, we hope you'll continue to get loads of enjoyment out of 4oD. If there's anything we haven't covered you can find more information by clicking here.

Enjoy,

The 4oD team
    Since it's now moving completely online I'd guess that it'll be blocked over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭SmellySockies

I got that email too and replied back ''you failed to mention people from the republic of ireland are no longer able to use it'' hope they read it if not I wasted my time ;[

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Replying to a mass email is usually a waste of time. It will get lost in the thousands of undeliverable and out of office replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Yeah, it sucks, 4od is a brill service :/

Advertisement