Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you emigrate for 'lifestyle'

• 27-01-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

So I'm a nurse and the hubbie works in IT. Both have permanent jobs here, no mortgage, no kids and no debts. Would you emigrate to oz, Canada, u.s if you had the choice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Yes. I am in a very similar situation. 23 years old, have a full time teaching job (basically) single, no debts, no ties. I just want to live somewhere totally new and experience a different lifestyle for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

But do you think you'd actually do it? And if you don't do you think you'll regret it? I'm 28 and would like to start a family at some stage, and places like oz etc seem so appealing to bring up kids. Of course there's the whole family/friends thing but I'd hope to give my children the best life possible and at the moment I dont necessarily think its here. The other thing is the minute we build/buy here we are kind of 'stuck'....my head is fried.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

That's the big question isn't it. Will I ACTUALLY do it.

I'm definitely getting a 3 month visa for Aus for this summer, I'd be doing this regardless of whether I decide to stay on for a year or not because i'd obviously be getting 15 months rather than 12. I have 3 good friends out there at the moment who have just got their 2 year visa, after working in a farm for 3 months. They found it difficult but they were saving E700+ a week! As you say, standard of living etc. here is gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I was just talking about this in the last few weeks with my family, as one of my brothers has moved to Oz in the last couple of months for a better lifestyle (he is in IT too btw and I believe the pay out there is excellent). His situation is slightly different, as he is older than you and they have two children. To be honest, I don’t really understand what people mean by ‘lifestyle’, take him as an example, while he lived here, he was 10 minute walk from his work, they had family close by and plenty of friends, his wife had a part time job, the kids were happy in school, they had a lovely home. Now he has moved to Oz, he is an hour and a half train journey each way from work, they have left all their family and friends behind, she isn’t going to work at the moment because she wants to make sure she is there to help the kids adjust, the kids have to start into a new school. As far as I can see, all they have gained is the weather and a pool (which he won’t get time to use because of his commute!

I just don’t know if the lifestyle benefits outweigh all the things you would be leaving behind. I often think people in Ireland have a ‘grass is always greener’ attitude. I still think you would have the same challenges and problems in Oz or Canada, only you wouldn’t have the safety net of family and friends. Ok, the weather is better and they do live a lovely outdoor life in Oz (my brothers new house has been over run with wasps and ants btw!) but to me, that wouldn’t be enough to persuade me to live so far away from my family and friends.

So I would have to say no, I wouldn’t move for lifestyle reasons. But then, like the OP, we are both working, so my attitude would probably change if we lost one or both jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I would Love to get out of this kip to be honest. This government just sickens me and I am tired of everybody moaning all the time about money.
    I used to plan on buying a house here in a nice area of Dublin (an oxymoron?) but now with the government introducing all these taxes I think otherwise.
    I know other countries are high tax (Like Germany) but they get a good service from their government for that. Our taxes go up and what do we get? Less Gardai, more crime, privatised waste management, higher public transport fairs, 3rd world health care system and The promise of more to come!

I would like to stay in Europe though, I like a bit of culture, history and beautiful architecture around me. Something that is lacking in the "new" territories.

I would consider East England.

I think Vienna, Prague or somewhere like that would be nice also. Good quality of life, Low crime etc.

I want to be as far away from Irish scangers as is humanly possible while still being in Europe :P

I would live in Ukraine if the bureaucracy there were'nt so damn corrupt and if there we're decent hospitals (We're not that far behind them in that department anymore). Crimea is Beautiful and has a real old fashioned charm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would Love to get out of this kip to be honest. This government just sickens me and I am tired of everybody moaning all the time about money.

I would like to stay in Europe though, I like a bit of culture, history and beautiful architecture around me. Something that is lacking in the "new" territories.

I would consider East England.

I think Vienna, Prague or somewhere like that would be nice also. Good quality of life, Low crime etc.

I want to be as far away from Irish scangers as is humanly possible while still being in Europe :P

I actually agree, I would consider France, Germany or Italy if I could speak the language :(. I would have no problem leaving Ireland if I was just an easy flight home. Oz and Canada just seem so..... final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

ncmc wrote: »
    I actually agree, I would consider France, Germany or Italy if I could speak the language :(. I would have no problem leaving Ireland if I was just an easy flight home. Oz and Canada just seem so..... final.

Don't let language stop you. As a human being you will pick it up if you were surrounded by it, even if you think your "past" that point in your life.

I know plenty of Eastern europeans that came to Ireland or the UK with NO English whatsoever. They had one or two people around them that could translate this and that and over the space of a few months they were already able to go out and communicate more and more with the natives.
    They worked in manual jobs at first but after about a year they were ready to go into better jobs, having some command of English. Now they are fully established.

I know a man who got ill in China, didnt speak a bit of Mandarin. He was in hospital for 6 months there (Serious illness) and thought himself to speak the language so he could understand what the doctors were saying to him. Not perfectly of course, but he had developed a level of "Broken chinese" that was invaluable to him.

He now speaks fluent Mandarin and operates a business over there.

I Suprised myself when I went to Ukraine with my wife , after about 2 months there I could go out alone to the shops, get taxi's and was confidant that I could get by. You learn fast when no one speaks your language!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I lived in oz for a few years in my early to mid twenties but came back to work in the family business and got stuck here with wife kids etc. I would love to be able to go back. The things I miss are the variety of climates, there is snow six months of the year in the Snowy mountains, in the centre it hardly ever rains, the north is tropical and there is every thing inbetween. If you like the outdoor life (anything from a barbie in the garden to hunting buffalo) then it's there for you. The one thing I really didn't like were the mosquitos but I just have that type of blood that they love, they don't bother most people to the same extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭luppy

Thanks for all the replies. for me lifestyle is being outdoors and just being content. i think the weather plays a big role in what determines 'lifestyle' and a healthy one at that.

i would love to see my kids (when the time comes) outdoors all the time, having bbqs, picnics etc...the ideal world :) i really dont want to be 10yrs down the road and still be thinking about this :confused:

just to convince himself now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TonyW72

It is a big decision to make, I have friends who have emigrated to Sydney from Cork. They love it, but also miss home dreadfully. As time goes on they are settled though and the lifestyle for their kids is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Absolutely. Would move to the US in the future if I was given the chance. I work for an American company now so more of a possibility than before.

I don't speak any languages so wouldn't move to Europe. I'm not sure about Oz, seems a little hot for me.

Advertisement