Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"N/R" on Birth cert

• 21-05-2020 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have come across a birth cert with "N/R" specified after the first name.

Any idea what this means?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not Recorded. No name basically; either the child hadn't been named yet or died very shortly after birth before one could be given.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

L1011 wrote: »
    Not Recorded. No name basically; either the child hadn't been named yet or died very shortly after birth before one could be given.

Interestingly, a first name is actually given. However, the 'N/R' appears directly after it. Also, no image available on Irish Genealogy. I will request a transcript to see exactly how it is written.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

First name may have been recorded after the fact

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Also, no image available on Irish Genealogy.

If you want to post details I can try finding it for you.

Often when they say no image available you can find the image by searching for someone else on the same page.

Sam Beckett's birth record is a case in point.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's also possible that the birth was registered in a later year, which means they can't show that page yet.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's also possible that the birth was registered in a later year, which means they can't show that page yet.

That seems to be the case. Born in September and registered June the year after. After doing a bit more digging, it seems that the N/R [Not Recorded] is related to the father rather than the actual name. And that fits in with the whole story too.

Thanks for all the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Hermy wrote: »
    If you want to post details I can try finding it for you.

Often when they say no image available you can find the image by searching for someone else on the same page.

Sam Beckett's birth record is a case in point.

Wondering if you could possibly do this for someone I am interested in?
    This is the record .
    It would be great to be able to get the image. Thanks!

I'm not sure I can do anything for that one srmf as I usually rely on the civil indexes at Family Search which only run to 1958 when trying to find records with missing images but I'll have a go.

Is there any particular information you want from the death record?
    Would a newspaper death notice be any good to you instead?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Hermy wrote: »
    I'm not sure I can do anything for that one srmf as I usually rely on the civil indexes at Family Search which only run to 1958 when trying to find records with missing images but I'll have a go.

Is there any particular information you want from the death record?
    Would a newspaper death notice be any good to you instead?

That's no problem at all. He's an ancestor so was just curious to see what the cause of death was recorded as. It's really not important but just another case of being so close to getting easy access to a record only for it to be unavailable. I do have some death notices for him. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

If you search Irish Genealogy for all deaths in Castlerea in 1968 there are only 171 of them and they all have dated transcripts so you coul click on every death record after Sep 29th on the off chance your one appears on one of the images.

However, it could just be that the death was recorded a year or two later and thus is outside the current scope of the site.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have you tried emailing them about it?

It's likely a case of late registration, but in theory, they should be able to extract just that line and send it to you.

Certainly worth the experiment.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement