Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

• 01-03-2020 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold showery start to March here in Castlebar. Hopefully it will turn drier towards mid month. Its needed at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hopefully lengthy dry spells at some point during spring, we deserve it after the February we just had!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Wouldn’t mind a bitter easterly before St Patrick’s Day. But the chances of that are slim to none so I’d be happy with a dry and warming trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A number of years back (2012?) we got very close to 20c in late March.

A good dry spell is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

A good dry spell is due.

Indeed. That spring will always be remembered fondly. However we got a horrific summer to follow so be warned just because you get a warm spring does not guarantee a warm sunny summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

That is true. Any time we get a good week/fortnight in Mar/Apr you tend to get a very poor summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,024 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Will next weekend be another write off ? While today is brighter there is a cold NW'ly wind very gusty in the showers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sorry Oscar, I just opened a similar thread as I didn't spot this one you opened. Shall delete it again if I can.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice enough between the showers today but much like February these incessant showers just won't f*** off so can't do anything useful outdoors yet again.

A repeat of Spring 2011 would do me nicely with two full months dominated by high pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

It's just as well these showers are short lived because it's handkerchief sized flakes that are falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some nice cloudscapes today

9-E944-D71-1464-49-E2-9761-2-CCB8-DFFA4-A4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

A good dry spell is due.

Yep, I remember it well 20 degrees and sitting outside for lunch at work, turned out to be the nicest day of the year. Terrible summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Freezing hard. Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Sunny and crisp in Dublin 5 with frost. I'm not even exaggerating when I say it's frostier than any day since November.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,095 ✭✭✭pad199207

Knock just now

3483013-D-93-F2-439-C-9-AFB-4-FC1-BB3-A03-B2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Wettest February ever, and nearly the warmest on record
    (not us, only Netherlands ;):

https://nltimes.nl/2020/02/27/wettest-february-ever-nearly-warmest-record

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mad heavy hail shower in Galway city, place is completely coated white.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭Storm 10

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Mad heavy hail shower in Galway city, place is completely coated white.

The roads were like skating rinks impossible to drive on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

2 days in a row of sunshine and clear sky, i must try hard not to get used to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

2 days in a row of sunshine and clear sky, i must try hard not to get used to this

Got a weird temptation to put inflatable pool in my back garden today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

vicious hail showers at frequent intervals. Chilling winds. Sudden gusts.. occasional sun and a bit of blue sky... restless unstable weather,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today and yesterday have been great, almost unbroken sunshine and proper strength to the sun. If all of March turned out like this it would do wonders to bring the land back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Hooter23

That heat you can start to feel in the sun in March & April is ruined by this cold air that seems to arrive every spring...I cant remember the last time we had a mild/warm spring...I remember many years ago our Spring weather used to be better than the weather we would get in Summer...not anymore Spring is like winter and Summer is like Autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Typical early March weather in Dublin. Fairly blustery with the odd shower but nice sunny spells. Pic shows the shower that passed over Dublin Bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some heavy hail/sleet/wet snow showers here today, another crash on the Motorway nearby following heavy hail.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Knock reported 4 cm of snow cover up to 9 am this morning but it had all melted by 1 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a nice day in Cork City today. Clear skies for most of the day with the sun out but there was a few showers aswell. Bitterly cold wind around though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I'm hoping there is a sudden final warming which leads to a potent northerly later on in the month, but hopefully it doesn't follow on that we then get a cold and miserable late spring and summer due to northern blocking. So a two day snow event akin to the big snow of 1917 would suffice, then let it become warm and dry for the Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another day with frequent wintry showers in Letterkenny, I think the last dry day here was around the 5th or 6th of February so we might as well make it a full month of rain at this stage.

At least its nicer between the showers now though, always noticeable by March how much brighter the sunshine is compared to the winter months where even sunny days tend to have that dull greyness because of how low the sun is.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

It's a very icy wind out there today, absolutely freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'm hoping there is a sudden final warming which leads to a potent northerly later on in the month, but hopefully it doesn't follow on that we then get a cold and miserable late spring and summer due to northern blocking. So a two day snow event akin to the big snow of 1917 would suffice, then let it become warm and dry for the Summer

A repeat of early April 1917 would be something to experience. Amazing that this mid spring snow event remains the biggest on record. However, the short to medium prospects suggest we'll be stuck with these miserable polar maritime westerlies for a while yet. :rolleyes:

New Moon

Advertisement