Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GRO Records

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

If Ireland did knighthoods, Claire Santry would be top of the list...! Such a great source of reliable knowledge!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Beyond excited. :D

Have a wishlist of certs already to go in preparation for this day.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Well, the devil is in the detail, so I'll reserve judgement for now but to avoid being called a stick in the mud I'll admit to being provisionally excited. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Is this essentially a release of all civil certs up to a certain year? Or am I misunderstanding what the registers are.

Yes, that's right.

Hopefully they've consulted the DPC this time and they won't revoke it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

In effect, yes, I believe so. Birth certs up to the end of 1915 (14? 16?), marriage certs up to 1940 (?), and death certs up to 1965 (?). Images of original entries that is.

I find the last comment in Claire's blog entry intriguing too. The long awaited associated Griffiths books? Must be I suppose. Of course I don't mean the cancelled/revision books. I mean the others whose names I forget.

Edit: field, house and quarto books.

Wow.

Spare a moment for the dusty, musty genealogists of old who actually had to get dressed and leave their couch to do research.

RGM wrote:
    Spare a moment for the dusty, musty genealogists of old who actually had to get dressed and leave their couch to do research.

I agree though John Grenham makes a good point about that very subject in his latest blog entry. Worth a read.

mod9maple wrote: »
    I agree though John Grenham makes a good point about that very subject in his latest blog entry. Worth a read.

Of course. My biggest genealogical pet peeve is that so many people expect to be able to do everything online ("Why can't I find my own birth certificate?").

Still, it's amazing what can be done now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

This is phenomenal. :)

I wonder will they have the 'miscellaneous' GRO records included in this, e.g. births and deaths at sea, Lourdes marriages, etc.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. Wouldn't imagine there'd be more than a handful of Lourdes marriages over 75 years ago.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Can't speak........holding breath! Been waiting for so many certs for so long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I might finally find a trace of my 'disappeared' great grand uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

does this mean I could have saved all those 4euros I spent on copies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

wonder if these will be free as suggested back a few years ago, or there will be free access to the basic details, and a charge for a full image - a bit like the GRONI system ?

Speaking of GRONI, is this going to hit them since the GRO records (the books at least...) overlap with theirs, so all the births before the cut-off, many of the deaths and marriages.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

And what will happen to the GRO in Werburgh Street?
    Will that close or will it continue as before?
    And will they continue to charge for certs?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

shanew wrote: »
    wonder if these will be free as suggested back a few years ago, or there will be free access to the basic details, and a charge for a full image - a bit like the GRONI system ?

Speaking of GRONI, is this going to hit them since the GRO records (the books at least...) overlap with theirs, so all the births before the cut-off, many of the deaths and marriages.

I would imagine fully free - they've not charged for anything else to date and the last government at least recognised the tourism value of the data.

I hope rolling updates like Scotlands People are part of the plan - I have plenty to want to get from 1918/1919 (and Emergency era marriages - only 1939/40 would currently be there) in a few years and have previously camped up on SP for Scottish records to appear in the wee hours of Jan 1st.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hermy wrote: »
    And what will happen to the GRO in Werburgh Street?
    Will that close or will it continue as before?
    And will they continue to charge for certs?

Just realised there's still all the stuff after the 50/75/100 year rule to be accessed in Werburgh Street.:o

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just reviewing my wishlist of certs to get: almost all are within the unrestricted period so it is genealogical Christmas for me.

Considering running a pool on how quickly the site crashes though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I doubt it. Wouldn't imagine there'd be more than a handful of Lourdes marriages over 75 years ago.

AFAIK, the earliest Lourdes marriage that the GRO has a record of dates from 1939. So, it is just within the 75 year limit.

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote:
    Considering running a pool on how quickly the site crashes though.

Indeed. I always give these new sites a miss for the first couple of weeks, let them bed in, iron out the wrinkles. I've waited this long, I can wait another wee while.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Indeed. I always give these new sites a miss for the first couple of weeks, let them bed in, iron out the wrinkles. I've waited this long, I can wait another wee while.

That's no fun. You can't join the outrage then!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

Reading the new message on the site, I'd say they will definitely be freely available:

"The historic records of Births over 100 years ago, Marriages over 75 years ago and Deaths over 50 years ago of the General Register Office (GRO), will soon be available to view on www.irishgenealogy.ie, following their launch at 5.30pm on Thursday 8th September 2016."

I can't wait!! Will be checking every day next week, just in case they're early :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mollymoo19

hjr wrote: »
    If Ireland did knighthoods, Claire Santry would be top of the list...! Such a great source of reliable knowledge!

We may not do knighthoods, but you can vote to make her a rockstar :D
    http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/2016/09/rockstar-genealogists-2016-voting-now.html

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Mollymoo19 wrote: »
    We may not do knighthoods, but you can vote to make her a rockstar :D
    http://anglo-celtic-connections.blogspot.ie/2016/09/rockstar-genealogists-2016-voting-now.html

Done! And a vote for Joe Buggy who visits this parish too! Always been a great help and source of knowledge during my research!

It's oh so quiet.

Is everyone just working away on their wish lists?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Need to find my two or three text files of lists to get and then it's time to trawl the tree for everyone else in that time frame as theres nothing wrong with being completist!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ok, let's not all go at once, form an orderly queue.... me first!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boscod

Site is down at the moment, something is happening!

• Advertisement

Working for me.

I trawled my tree and correlated the index references, but we won't know until the launch how we access the certs. For now, presuming it's a a name/place/year (or DOB/DOD/DOM) search. The index references may be obsolete, or at least obsolescent.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement