Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consoles/peripherals you've never owned?

• 10-07-2018 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Thought this might be an interesting one. So folks here have owned an absolute **** tonne of gaming stuff over the years, but is there anything standout/common/popular you've never owned or maybe never even played?

I've never used a Snes Super Scope. Never even seen one in person. I've heard they're a pile of crap but they still hold this weird mystical thing to me where my only real connection to them is seeing the ad on TV when I was a kid.

I've also never owned a Master System. Had a Power Base Converter on release and also have a Master System Converter II, but never the actual console!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I've never seen a Spectrum 48k computer in the flesh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Never got a Power Glove (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Glove) for the NES like they had in The Wizard - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wizard_(1989_film)

Smyths didn't have them in stock at the time down the West :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Inviere

I think at one stage or another I've owned pretty much everything I'd wanted, with the exception of an N64DD :o The obvious Neo Geo AES goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Thibus

I have had most of them
    Never played a Neo Geo.
    Played the Atari Jaguar, always wanted one but never had it
    Oh or 3do, again played it but was a non runner to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Never had or played the Jaguar CD module. I'm sure there must be other things, but that's all I can think of for now.

I really have to get one of those things :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a blood sugar monitor for the DS that looks cool!

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/promotions/bayer-didget.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've never had a 32X or Sega CD. I know they weren't a success and aren't too common either. I kinda want a Sega CD though but at the same time I'm not really arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Consoles I never owned at all;
    Nintendo Game Boy/GB Colour
    Game Boy Advance
    Nintendo DS
    NES
    Super Nintendo
    N64
    Wii-U
    Master System
    SEGA 32X*
    SEGA Mega CD*
    SEGA Nomad**
    SEGA Saturn**
    SEGA Dreamcast**
    Atari 5200
    Atari 7800
    Atari Jaguar
    Philips CD-i
    3DO
    Neo-Geo
    TurboGrafx-16**

*= borderline peripheral as they were really just an expansion of the MD
    **= would love to get one

Peripherals I never owned;

Multitap for PS1/PS2
    HDD for PS2

Consoles I missed out on as a child, but eventually bought myself as an adult;
    Xbox
    GameCube
    Wii
    Super Famicom (Japanese SNES)

I also had an Atari 2600 but I didn't like it that much (I was born in 89, forgive me)

Oh, and to give some info on the Super Scope to the O.P.
    I have one - I got it bundled with my SFamicom and it is such an eyesore, I had to store it in the cupboard. No intention of using it - no intention of looking at it. Takes about 6 AA batteries. Don't get it. It's horrible :pac:

yggOatUl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll take the Super Scope off your hands, give it a good home!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Have had most of what I wanted at some stage, including the Jag CD - awful pos.

Actually wouldn't mind a Pippin or a X68000 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

o1s1n wrote:
    I've never used a Snes Super Scope. Never even seen one in person. I've heard they're a pile of crap but they still hold this weird mystical thing to me where my only real connection to them is seeing the ad on TV when I was a kid.

They are not great imo.

Have one boxed somewhere, gave it a go about 12 years ago was disappointed with it.

Never meet your hero's

o1s1n wrote:
    I've also never owned a Master System. Had a Power Base Converter on release and also have a Master System Converter II, but never the actual console!

I've a few, maybe three if you really want one, duck hunt was a great shooting game, first one with a bit of sport that I had.

Los Lobos wrote:

Again I've spares if it ticks a box for you.

Poxy unit. The 48K+ on the other hand is deadly, no spares atm.

I went nuts trying to get a boxed Atari jaguar a few years ago, I kept missing out, have an unboxed one. I know a guy with a Savage jaguar collection, gave me the CD unit and converter back in the 1990's it was great fun

I'd like a boxed one just to look at, again i think if I play it I'll kill the nostalgia

I have had a Speccy 48k and a lousy Specstrad 2+, but I'd love a 48+ or 128+ in my collection.
    As Nintendo goes there's an early breakout clone they made that I'd love to have.
    A 5200 might be nice, but I really need to get a Nuon back into my life!
    I have never owned an AES but I think a consolised MVS would be a better buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I see something nice someone else gets on the forum and then i must have it :(

SO i blame all of you, looking at MSXs now and the thousand different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I've never had a Commodore 64 and I'd quite like a breadbin version.

I'd quite like the Amstrad Spectrum +2 and +3 to go with my proper Speccys too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

On reflection, I never got to own a Vic20 and there is some great games on there, Llamasoft stuff.

Also, I must pick up the SD card solutions for my C64 and Speccy, those devices just don't get enough use.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

Never owned a NES or Gameboy (of any kind) to this day!

The only handheld devices I had was the Tomy Tronic Shark attack and some random LCD game.

The PS VIta is the first proper handheld system I bought, only got it a few weeks back.

Only picked up a Super Famicom a few years ago, and the Super Gameboy, but don't have any NTSC-J games to play for it.
    I may have to do that region mod on the Super Gameboy.

You can tell I'm a bit of Sega and Sony fanboy hehe.

Also never owned a Saturn or Dreamcast.

I have a working Vectrex though so that makes up for it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Los Lobos wrote: »

Er...I have 7 48k machines, a +2, a +3, and a 128k Toastrack. :D

.....I kinda like my spectrums. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

As a kid I always wanted one of the big metal dance pads for the PlayStation for DDR. Something like this

20110707141612858.jpg

I remember seeing them in Argos at the time for something like £150.

I’ve also never owned a Jaguar despite wanting one even though there’s feck all worth owning one for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

I would love to own a late model 512K SAM Coupe 8-bit computer. The last of these type of 8 bit machines.

Z80B processor.

Like hens teeth to buy, and be prepared to part with a serious wad of cash.

Some games like Prince of Persia, and F16 combat pilot.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    On reflection, I never got to own a Vic20 and there is some great games on there, Llamasoft stuff.

Also, I must pick up the SD card solutions for my C64 and Speccy, those devices just don't get enough use.

The 8-bit Guy, on his YouTube channel restored a Vic20 recently....

Most sane people would have binned it in the condition it came to him in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I have havent owned let alone played a n64. Went to buy one with the confirmation money but smyths were sold out so got a ps1 and that was that

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CptMackey wrote: »
    I have havent owned let alone played a n64. Went to buy one with the confirmation money but smyths were sold out so got a ps1 and that was that

You made the right choice :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    You made the right choice :D

But what games ended up being played on the PS...
    I mean, if it was a steady diet of Fifa and Actua Golf it was money ill-spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

All I can say is fifa wasn't one of the games and neither was golf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Still better than the best the N64 had to offer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Er...I have 7 48k machines, a +2, a +3, and a 128k Toastrack. :D

.....I kinda like my spectrums. :D

have you got a Sam Coupé?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Firefox11 wrote:
    .....I kinda like my spectrums.

Have you a ZX81

I left that out. I want a ZX81

A terrible looking yoke, with terrible games, but I still want one for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I always wanted a Neo Geo when I was younger but they were about 5 times the price of a regular 16 bit console and games were 70 pounds at the time which was crazy money.

Thank god for emulators today :)

Stoner wrote: »
    Have you a ZX81

I left that out. I want a ZX81

A terrible looking yoke, with terrible games, but I still want one for some reason.
    I want a Jupiter Ace.
    Think of a white ZX81 with a rubber keyboard. Vacuform shell.
    Awful games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

only ever owned a SNES that my folks bought me

and we only ever had two games

Advertisement