Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Dublin newspaper?

• 20-07-2015 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Wondering which newspaper was most likely to have a death notice or obituary for someone who died in October 1899 - Wellington Pl, Dublin? Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Are they Protestant? Then Irish Times.

If Catholic, maybe not at all, depending on status/wealth.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭horse7

If the Protestant was poor would it still be recorded in the times? In other words did the parish put it in the times,or was it up to the family in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Many thanks, pinkypinky, he was Protestant.

I just had a look at the Irish Times website, I see that they have a sub for €1 for first month and then €12 for each subsequent month. Do they not have a 24hr or weekly access? I really only want to look up this man's death notice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

horse7 wrote: »
    If the Protestant was poor would it still be recorded in the times? In other words did the parish put it in the times,or was it up to the family in question?

Family pays. It'd only be mentioned for free if they were notable enough to get an article / obituary about them (and even then, they'd usually be in the notices too)
    montgo wrote: »
    Many thanks, pinkypinky, he was Protestant.

I just had a look at the Irish Times website, I see that they have a sub for €1 for first month and then €12 for each subsequent month. Do they not have a 24hr or weekly access? I really only want to look up this man's death notice.

First 10 articles a week are free - this however only includes the digital/web content archives (mid 1990s) not the microfilm ones.

L1011 wrote: »

First 10 articles a week are free - this however only includes the digital/web content archives (mid 1990s) not the microfilm ones.

Tnx for that info.

Do you know if the NLI or Dublin Libraries would have the Irish Times from 31 Oct 1899?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

montgo wrote: »
    Tnx for that info.

Do you know if the NLI or Dublin Libraries would have the Irish Times from 31 Oct 1899?

Pearse Street Library would be the most likely to have it on their own films, however most libraries in the entire country have access to the archives.

Irish Times is on their own system and also Proquest rather than the INA though.

L1011 wrote: »
    Pearse Street Library would be the most likely to have it on their own films, however most libraries in the entire country have access to the archives.

Irish Times is on their own system and also Proquest rather than the INA though.

Great info, I will add it to my "to do" list on my next visit.
    Many thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can access the Irish Times archive for free on the National Library computers in the Genealogy Room.

But a month's sub for €1 includes the current paper every day plus the digital archive for a month. The old system was a tenner for 24 hours. I think it's a great deal but have yet to take it up. You do have to cancel during that period otherwise they charge you for a month at a time.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    You can access the Irish Times archive for free on the National Library computers in the Genealogy Room.

But a month's sub for €1 includes the current paper every day plus the digital archive for a month. The old system was a tenner for 24 hours. I think it's a great deal but have yet to take it up. You do have to cancel during that period otherwise they charge you for a month at a time.

That is a terrific deal. I didn't see where you could cancel during 1st month subscription - must reread. Many thx.

Irish Times
    How do I subscribe and pay?
    Subscriptions will be paid monthly in advance and will be automatically renewed unless cancelled.
    10 days notice must be given to cancel a subscription.

I found the relevant paragraph:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement