Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do Irish people support English teams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Not because the Premier League is a better product than the LOI, no?

Do you consider yourself ignorant etc whenever you watch more Hollywood movies than movies produced by Screen Ireland, for example? I’m sure you only listen to music made by Irish people too? Only wear clothes designed and produced by Irish people?

Just because someone’s from a particular country, does not mean they should feel forced to support a certain industry. Especially when the head of the industry in question here, doesn’t even support it himself!

To compare that stuff to football is rediculous but actually yeah if I have the choice between an Irish product and a foreign product I do tend to go for the Irish product.

That last bit sums it up really. I assume you're trying to say that the FAI doesn't support the LOI? That has only been allowed to happen because the general public look(ed) down on the LOI so much that when LOI people were pointing out all the problems in the FAI they were promptly told to shut up by "die hard" fans of English clubs that were oblivious to the deep rooted problems these people were creating and allowing to grow in Irish football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭fyfe79

D14Rugby wrote: »
    To compare that stuff to football is rediculous but actually yeah if I have the choice between an Irish product and a foreign product I do tend to go for the Irish product.

That last bit sums it up really. I assume you're trying to say that the FAI doesn't support the LOI? That has only been allowed to happen because the general public look(ed) down on the LOI so much that when LOI people were pointing out all the problems in the FAI they were promptly told to shut up by "die hard" fans of English clubs that were oblivious to the deep rooted problems these people were creating and allowing to grow in Irish football.

How is it a ridiculous comparison? People consume what they find most entertaining – football falls into that category too. Of course, if the Irish product is as good as the foreign product I would choose Irish every time but would you choose the Irish product if the foreign product was superior? I wouldn't.
    For the record, most of my favourite bands happen to be Irish but I certainly don’t feel any compulsion to listen to them ahead of American or UK bands – I consume what I enjoy, regardless of where’s it’s from.

As for the bolded bit – that is some leap! Why would Irish fans of English clubs be telling LOI fans to shut up slagging off the FAI? As long as I’ve followed football, the FAI has been a shambles – why would any Irish supporter try to cover that up? The FAI is poison for the game here. Fans of the LOI know it, fans of the PL know it. It would suit everybody for the FAI to straighten up its act. There's no big conspiracy by PL fans to keep the LOI in the doldrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

trashcan wrote: »
    A very, very, silly comparison. As is asking why people listen to English bands or American bands. I'm passionate about music, probably more so than football, and my favourite bands are Scottish, Irish, American, English, in no particular order. Entertainment is not competition ( which is not to say that competition can't be entertainment.)

People who support English teams are free to do so, of course they are. I don't think you'll find a supporter of an Irish team* who would say any different. The rest of us are equally free to have a view about that support, and to express it. It's just opinions at the end of the day, no really big deal.

*I don't know any such thing as. LOI supporter by the way, people support teams, not leagues.

And lots of people read English books

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Ahhh let them wonder... There's not a club in the world like Liverpool.

Manchester United. Historically big, successful, plays in NW of England, has a global brand, wears red and has Irish people calling them "us".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

8-10 wrote: »
    Ah I don't compare really. It's just never been boring was the point. Maybe all clubs are like this and I'm just biased but feel great to have experienced all the huge games from Newcastle 4-3 in 1996, Everton 3-2 in 1999, Barça in the semi final this year 4-0 and 2001 1-0 on our way to Dortmund. Roma 5-2, Spartak 7-0, PSG 3-2, Man City 3-0.....it goes on and on.

Every fan can reel off their special games I'm sure. I just feel pride in a lot of our bigger wins, particularly the past 2 seasons.

You gotta enjoy it while you can I suppose! I'm sure the South American lads are the same

Pride? In what?

The best fans in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Sure yeah it's a big cocktail of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and being marketing whores.
    Absolutely..... Yer a great advert for LOI.

They're right. Your looking down on the LOI now just because a guy on boards said you're a snob. That proves the point..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The "us" thing riles me more than it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Pride? In what?

In my team doing well. I watch a lot of their videos, training etc. I know how hard they work. It’s the closest word I have to describe the feeling I have. It’s probably more simple joy than pride but there’s definitely a sense of pride in supporting a soccer team. You don’t have to agree with that we’re all at different levels of investment in support and we all feel it differently

They're right. Your looking down on the LOI now just because a guy on boards said you're a snob. That proves the point..

You hope Liverpool "sink like a stone" because I called them "my club" so any pettiness works both ways as I see it:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110423545&postcount=1583

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Pride? In what?

In my team doing well. I watch a lot of their videos, training etc. I know how hard they work. It’s the closest word I have to describe the feeling I have. It’s probably more simple joy than pride but there’s definitely a sense of pride in supporting a soccer team. You don’t have to agree with that we’re all at different levels of investment in support and we all feel it differently

Are you the Leeds manager? You know you said you would atop spying on teams training?

• Advertisement

Are you the Leeds manager? You know you said you would atop spying on teams training?

These vids:

There's loads of them! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

We are not very good at supporting our own in this country. That is the bottom line. The OP could equally ask why do Irish people buy so much online from foreign companies. Why do we even import 72,000 tonnes of potatoes a year, much of them from Britain? (easily verified by google). If we cannot grow our own spuds what hope is there of watching our own soccer players instead of foreigners?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.

Any room in there for the standard of football?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Not quite, because yet again as has been explained to you time and time again the thread isn't about why do Irish people support England clubs it's about why they do that as opposed to supporting a LOI club.

The answer to that though is fairly simple too though, a mix of ignorance, snobbery, lazyness and falling for marketing.

v4nsro.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Bohs and rovers are on TV tonight if ye want to tune in.
    Bohs missing their striker and back 4 but will be a good atmosphere nonetheless.

Rovers have lost 7 of the last 8 against bohs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Why do we marry foreign women !

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Why do we marry foreign women !

You can still marry foreign women but can still look at Irish women.

Bohs and rovers are on TV tonight if ye want to tune in

Thanks for the heads up! Always a good contest that fixture

Thanks for the heads up! Always a good contest that fixture

It's always a cagey match though.
    But crowd is always good.

In those 8 games rovers only drew one. Would be like Liverpool losing to Everton 7 times out of 8. Stephen Bradley the rovers manager said it was bohs Cup final a while back so it's even better with that record.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You can still marry foreign women but can still look at Irish women.

Thanks for the all clear :D

• Advertisement

It's always a cagey match though.
    But crowd is always good.

In those 8 games rovers only drew one. Would be like Liverpool losing to Everton 7 times out of 8. Stephen Bradley the rovers manager said it was bohs Cup final a while back so it's even better with that record.

Stick to the loi :D

Would be like Liverpool losing to Everton 7 times out of 8.

:pac: thanks for explaining it to me in EPL terms that I can understand. Still not sure I get this league of Ireland thing fully though, is it still 3pts for a goal and 1pt for over the bar? :p

:pac: thanks for explaining it to me in EPL terms that I can understand. Still not sure I get this league of Ireland thing fully though, is it still 3pts for a goal and 1pt for over the bar? :p

Does beating Everton actually mean anything more to an Irish Liverpool fan than beating Sunderland does? That's one aspect where I think you're missing it. A local derby. Just another match really for lads here isnt it?

Get a bonus point if your side eat more curry cheese chips.
    Half time show is see who can hold the most chips on their shoulder.

Fights in the shed if it ends in a draw.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Does beating Everton actually mean anything more to an Irish Liverpool fan than beating Sunderland does? That's one aspect where I think you're missing it. A local derby. Just another match really for lads here isnt it?

Not for me personally, but you might be right about others. The derby annoys me actually because it's always a massive game and it irks me that Everton isn't a banana skin for any of our rivals. We're the only team in the top 6 who have to play a massively tense game against a non-top 6 side.

All games mean something, and the context of your hypothetical Sunderland game would come into play.

But all things being equal I would care more about beating Everton. Probably comes down to your early derby memories as a younger supporter and probably different for everyone. The 1989 Cup Final is still one of my favourite games I've watched and going to the derby as a youngster sticks with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Bohs and rovers are on TV tonight if ye want to tune in.
    Bohs missing their striker and back 4 but will be a good atmosphere nonetheless.

Rovers have lost 7 of the last 8 against bohs.

Heading myself, Bohs friend got me a ticket. First one Ive been at in years

Be a better atmosphere than any Premier League game

In general. Derbies don't mean anything more to EPL fans here do they? Like an Arsenal fan doesn't really hate Spurs but probably feels he has to. A Villa fan probably doesn't even know any Birmingham supporters to bounce off.

I think that's a massive piece of the pie that's missing

No, that's where you're missing it.

Bang Bang Cafe in Phibsboro posted this

It's tonight.
    It's 8pm.
    It’s sold out.
    It's the heart of Dublin City.
    It's winding lanes.
    It's young and old.
    It's rich and poor.
    It's men and women.
    It’s boys and girls.
    It's Dublin's originals.
    It's northside.
    It's iconic floodlights.
    It's the grand old stadium.
    It's the turnstile creaking.
    It's the nod of a mate.
    It’s the sip of a pint.
    It's the nerves and anxiety.
    It's the roar of a song.
    It's you.
    It's me.
    It's 129 years.
    It's people over corporations.
    It's members not shareholders.
    It’s terraces not TV.
    It's a place of equals.
    It's Dalymount Park.
    It's what real football fans across the water can only reminisce about.
    It’s the whistle to start.
    It’s the heart pounding.
    It’s time standing still.
    It's joy.
    It's elation.
    It's tears.
    It's love.
    It's Bohs v Rovers.
    It's tonight in your city

• Advertisement

It's what real football fans across the water can only reminisce about.

:rolleyes:

England play in the Women's World Cup tonight so the real fans over there will be alright I wouldn't worry about them

Advertisement