Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber

• 21-03-2005 7:19pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

A place to ask questions about sourcing, identifying & getting rid of useful timber.

If folks are looking for pieces or have noticed a felled tree etc etc

Karl ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Hello
    I'm working on a project at present and I'm looking for sheets of Oak veneer which can be glued onto timber. Does anybody have any suppliers of this product.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Try here, I used to buy veneer from them , a few years ago

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Karl
    Thanks for the swift reply, Will have a look...Much appreciated..

Stapeler

stapeler wrote:
    Karl
    Thanks for the swift reply, Will have a look...Much appreciated..

Stapeler

Kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

Timber Supplies at reasonable prices, for birch plywood and more.....
    1-10 Mount Tallant Avenue, Terenure, Dublin 6W, Ireland
    Web site http://www.woodworkers.ie/

They also offer a cutting service for 1.30 per cut.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Hi all,
    Looking for a place to get large piece of wood for a mantle piece ovver a stanley range. Anyone know somewhere i can go look for something suitable. Undecided yet what type of wood i want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Found this crowd while browsing.According to their site they supply to the small user, turners/carvers as well as large volume users. Haven't used them yet.
    http://www.irishwoods.com/stockroom/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dubtom wrote:
    Found this crowd while browsing.According to their site they supply to the small user, turners/carvers as well as large volume users. Haven't used them yet.
    http://www.irishwoods.com/stockroom/index.htm
    Went out there once (a right bugger to find, in the middle of nowhere!) when they first got going a couple of years ago. Seemed a bit chaotic and disorganised to be honest, and didn't really seem oriented towards the small user. Fine if you wanted half a tree, but not just the odd bowl blank or so. They could have changed in the meantime though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 geofftulip

i have been down to lisnavagh (irish woods) during the summer - it is a bit of a trek but if you want kiln dried planks in most species 2" thick then there is plenty to choose from - for me as a woodturner this was ok for platters etc but not much in the line of bowl blanks etc - bought a plank of sycamore which is now a coffee table and made a platter from the offcut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jelly man

could anybody tell me what bass wood is im 8 years at the carpentrey game and veyer heard of it .its ment to b great 4 carving ,so if any one knows about let me know thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/289/img6724lt5.jpg

I've just picked up some cherry,ash,yew,spalted beech and a nice piece of walnut for 50 quid. I think that's cheap. I won't say where I got for fear of my source getting the hump while he's busy, but pm me for the whereabouts if you'd be interested in similar.The piece of ash is 3 ft long by 11/2 wide and 5'or 6' thick. Can't guarentee he'll have more at the minute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

This crowd were advertised in the local newsletter. clicky . They are based in Rathcoole so I will try them out next time I need some timber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pgough

I got red cedar beams 12"x4" and yellow pine 12"x1" in Morgans in the docks (Dublin). They have no web site that I know of but they had a huge selection of timber. They let me cut one of the cedar beams because it was too long. They have a lot of 'off cuts' lying around the place.
    It was a couple of years ago. Give yourself plenty of time to find the timber you want. The place is hugh and the staff are only interested in you if you know what you want.
    The is another timber merchant on the same road only a few hunderd yards away but I can't remember the name. It is also worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

Hi all
    We are based in the midlands, does anyone know where i could get a nice piece of timber for our new mantlepiece. we are looking for something in the regiion of 8ins*6ins by 63ins long. I have no set type of timber in mind.

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

newbuild06 wrote: »
    Hi all
    We are based in the midlands, does anyone know where i could get a nice piece of timber for our new mantlepiece. we are looking for something in the regiion of 8ins*6ins by 63ins long. I have no set type of timber in mind.

Thanks in advance

Coens in Tullamore stock solid hardwoods as do McMahons in Portarlington although probably best to ring them before you travel to see what species and sizes they have in stock. You could also try these guys in Carlow:

http://irishwoods.com/about/index.htm

A local sawmill may be able to supply a native hardwood but it would need to be kiln dried for your purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

carpainter wrote: »
    Coens in Tullamore stock solid hardwoods as do McMahons in Portarlington although probably best to ring them before you travel to see what species and sizes they have in stock. You could also try these guys in Carlow:

http://irishwoods.com/about/index.htm

A local sawmill may be able to supply a native hardwood but it would need to be kiln dried for your purpose.

Thanks Carpainter

i went down to a local lad here in mullingar and he had some form of sleepers outside not an old one now but newly cut. Looks perfect for what we want he reckons he if we bring it home to our current abode and have it standing up in the sitting room with the heat/fire on for a few weeks it will dry it out and then be grand for us to use as a mantle once we cut it, seal it and varnish it, sounds good.
    Does anyone have any views on this as my biggest worry would be that the timber needs more than just heat from a normal fire to get it right ??? maybe i am wrong hopefully so because it will save me alot of time and hassle if we can use this lovely piece of timber.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭carpainter

I would be afraind that the kind of "rapid" drying out you are referring to (in your centrally heated house) would cause the timber to crack and check etc. Might be best to store the wood in an unheated room or an attic space for a few weeks before exposing it to central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Pgough wrote: »
    I got red cedar beams 12"x4" and yellow pine 12"x1" in Morgans in the docks (Dublin). They have no web site that I know of but they had a huge selection of timber.

The is another timber merchant on the same road only a few hunderd yards away but I can't remember the name. It is also worth a look.

Morgans have a website at
    http://www.morgans.ie/

I have bought hardwoods from them and they are very good, they have timber from 5 continents... their site is about the size of two football pitches (very rough guess). Just recently I was looking for Pitch Pine and they have 'new' Honduras Pitch Pine for about 22 + VAT per cube (2" thick boards)....

I think the other timber place nearby is Chathams... not as good I don't think, I think they mainly sell flooring and stuff...

Strahan timber are ok, they do a fair bit of panel goods, also Planed All Over pine, mainly for the school market... I don't reckon their prices are as competative as the likes of Noyeks but pretty good nonetheless.... they have products difficult to get elsewhere, including Finnish Birch Plywood but it ain't cheap. (But then it never is and apparently the chinese stuff is crap in comparision)

Cheers
    Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

jelly man wrote: »
    could anybody tell me what bass wood is im 8 years at the carpentrey game and veyer heard of it .its ment to b great 4 carving ,so if any one knows about let me know thanks

Sorry to drag up and old post but I didn't spot an answer.

Bass wood is Lime (often writen basswood the american name for lime), ie a Tilla species if you speak botanical latin. Might be a particular species of Lime is used for carving not sure on that but they all have a white wood not very durable (outside) and have good carving properties. Often stated as being the best wood for carving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 muse1984

Hi all,

Just to let you know Strahan Timber in Rathcoole will be doing a range of radiator covers starting in two weeks time. Any queries please give me a shout on 01 401 9100 or check the website www.strahan.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Hello there. Im working on an old vehicle restoration project and Im on the hunt for melamine coated hardboard, no thicker than 5mm. Having great difficulty tracking it down and have tried hardboards etc but nothign that doesnt fall down again (its to replace the ceiling panels on a bus!). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    Simon

Melamine faced 3 mm and 6 mm mdf should be readily available in the likes of Noyeks ect. Camper restoration workshops should also be able to give you contact details for suppliers.

I have used it in the shopfitting industry as well, so they are worth a try to. I will make some enquiries over the next few days , and get back to you.

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

any one know somewhere i can buy planed hardwood or do most suppliers only stock rough

If my memory serves me correctly this company will prepare timber for you, but I,m not 100% sure about the hardwood, but a phone call should sort you out.

http://www.woodworkers.ie/

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

I don't think Woodworkers help with planing hardwoods but I may be mistaken.

There are some 'Wood Machinists' (see Yellow Pages) that would produce planed timber to order....there's one in Greystones in Wicklow I seem to remember... however they won't be very cheap and I don't know what the quality would be like.... I would recommend purchasing your own machine if at all possible as it would pay for itself after a while, maybe only a short while.

You will be able to get square edged timbers, especially in Beech for example... you may even be able to get planed timber in Beech or Oak.

You can buy solid Oak from Morgans which is planed...it isn't planks however, it would be stair treads which are laminated like pine panels or hardwood worktops... you could get it in the follwoing dimensions and more...

18mm x 270mm x 4,100mm
    25mm x 270mm x 4,500mm
    etc etc

The 270mm size will be made from edge glueing thinner planks together.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

bigstar wrote: »
    any one know somewhere i can buy planed hardwood or do most suppliers only stock rough

You could go to Timber Factors near Coolock 018472216, they won't have it ready but can plane to size it for you.

Ask for George he'll sort you out.

SLF

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

My contact list;

Abbey Woods
    Maple House,
    22 Baldoyle Ind. Est,
    Dublin 13
    (01) 8393435
    http://www.abbeywoods.ie/Index.htm
    Philip
    9-5 mon-fri (close early friday)
    30 per cubic foot of oak

Brooks
    M1 business park,
    Balbriggan.
    Tony
    (01) 841 0440
    Hardwood office 8555333
    Mon - Fri:7:30am to 5:00pm
    *** Not hardwoods Sat:9:00am to 5:00pm
    Walnut €50 per cubic foot
    red oak €18.15 per cubic foot
    Hard white maple
    soft Maple
    http://www.brooksgroup.ie

The Lisnavagh Timber Project
    The Farmyard,
    Lisnavagh,
    Rathvilly,
    Co Carlow,
    Ireland
    http://www.irishwoods.com/index.htm

Morgans Timber
    Promenade rd,
    East Wall,
    Dublin 3
    (01)8552588
    http://www.morgans.ie/
    (apparently no good unless you know what you want!)

Strahan Timber
    Unit 13 Beechwood house
    Greenogue Business park
    Ratchoole
    Co. Dublin
    01 401 9100
    http://www.strahan.ie/index.htm

The Routing Centre Ltd
    Bluebell Ind Est 12 Co. Dublin
    (01)4566604

Brooks in Balbriggan are the guys i go to for my hardwoods. Tony in the hardwood office is a nice bloke and they have no problem letting you head into the warehouse to look through the stock to see if there is anything good, they will also post you out a hardwood price list. They will also cut the boards to fit your car if they are too long. Which i really appreciate!! As I can fit an 8 foot board in the car and no more. McMahons in Rosemount in blanchardstown were very uninterested in me being there and had no inclination to help or answer questions, they are used to selling hardwood by the bale and not interested in the hobbyist. Which is a pity because they are nice and close to where I work.

Hope this helps.

btw any prices I have in there were from when I was looking for timber 6 months ago and i doubt if they are still current, make sure you ring up before working out your budget.

Alan
    Ireland/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

http://www.kantor.ie/

up in Ballymount, good range of sheet goods and huge baulks of hardwoods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Hi - I need to find some Mahogany

is it possible to get anything less then 25mm thickness in Ireland?- this seems to be the minimum in brooks

I need 15mm min 18max

I can get it from Germany - and it looks incredible

I'd love to find some 9mm as well but chances look slim

Any recommendations along with abbey woods and woodworkers.ie?

I don't mind traveling outside Munster

I'll be looking around for 30-40mm cherry too for a worktop - but that should be easier to find

Advertisement