Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Huawei P20 Pro - Save €499.99

• 09-02-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭

What does everyone think of this offer?
    https://www.tescomobile.ie/phone-details/391/2223/Huawei-P20-Pro/-30-24-month
    Not bad considering it's a top end phone?
    I'm sure there'll be some complaints about Tesco Mobile...how is the 4G nowadays though?

Anyhow here's the lowdown.

€30 a month X 24 (€919 total)
    €199 upfront
    15GB
    500 mins
    500 texts

€40 a month X 24 (€960 total)
    No upfront cost.
    20GB
    2000 mins
    2000 texts

Yes I know you can probably get it cheaper SIM free but with this offer you're also getting your plan included.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

biebiebie wrote: »
    I'm sure there'll be some complaints about Tesco Mobile...how is the 4G nowadays though?

€199 upfront
    15GB
    500 mins
    500 texts

No upfront cost.
    20GB
    2000 mins
    2000 texts

Yes I know you can probably get it cheaper SIM free but with this offer you're also getting your plan included.

Like buying a Ferrari and driving it across a field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Wait a few weeks and you'll get the p30 for the same price, or the Galaxy S10.

The p20 is nearly a year old already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How much is the phone sim free?

lawred2 wrote: »

€521 on Amazon.

€521 on Amazon.

Save €499?

• Advertisement

Save €499?

Aye.

It's actually a horrible deal. It's the opposite of a bargain.

It's only 589 pre-pay on Three at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Loss of €499

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Keith186

Aye.

It's actually a horrible deal. It's the opposite of a bargain.

It's only 589 pre-pay on Three at the minute.
    But your going to be paying, say €20 a month, for some bill pay plan or PAYG so add on €480 to the cost over two years. OP's deal is cheaper, but it is with Tesco Mobile on Three's network.
    Buying SIM free would give you the option of eir or VF but will still cost a little more than OP's deal.

ridiculous to post that as a savings figure tbh

Keith186 wrote: »
    But your going to be paying, say €20 a month, for some bill pay plan or PAYG so add on €480 to the cost over two years. OP's deal is cheaper, but it is with Tesco Mobile on Three's network.
    Buying SIM free would give you the option of eir or VF but will still cost a little more than OP's deal.

It's marginally cheaper

But not 499 cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sim free allows you to switch to better deal if one appears or the network goes bad. That's the main difference. Flexibility.

It's marginally cheaper

But not 499 cheaper

And the plan is poop.

€30 a month on Three gets you all you can eat everything. which would more than justify the marginal difference in cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

it probably is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

biebiebie wrote: »

€199 upfront
    15GB
    500 mins
    500 texts

No upfront cost.
    20GB
    2000 mins
    2000 texts

Check out virgin Mobile ,

Phone is free with a €200 smart watch
    25 pm for so many months .
    You can upgrade to a newer phone in 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

snoopsheep wrote:

Its no wonder we get feck all deals posted anymore with this comment. Thanks op will deffo have a look at this deal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

keavebm wrote: »
    Its no wonder we get feck all deals posted anymore with this comment. Thanks op will deffo have a look at this deal

I think they were referring to the tesco mobile website.. It's posted on the homepage

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

keavebm wrote: »

It's a terrible deal.

Like.. not good at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Gatling wrote: »

Where is that on virgins website?
    Because I only see €35 a month for the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Gatling wrote: »

I can't find this offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

How is it such a bad deal or do people just have it in for tesco mobile?
    It's a top end very good phone for about 10euro more than an equivalent plan per month.
    So phone works out about 240.
    Still a bargain if you ask me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

booooonzo wrote: »
    How is it such a bad deal or do people just have it in for tesco mobile?
    It's a top end very good phone for about 10euro more than an equivalent plan per month.
    So phone works out about 240.
    Still a bargain if you ask me.

240? For you maybe.

It's not a very good deal to begin with and given the headline saving of 499, is misleading and false therefore pissing off the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

It's marginally cheaper

But not 499 cheaper

And the plan is poop.

€30 a month on Three gets you all you can eat everything. which would more than justify the marginal difference in cost.

3 all you can eat data and texts pre pay is €20 every 28 days and you actually KEEP the €20 to spend on music, books, whatever. No calls but sure, I do that in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Phone is 35 a month, and tarrif is 25 a month, making it 60 compared to 40..

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭sapphade

€521 on Amazon.

Is that price the p20 or p20 pro . I’m seeing the p20 pro at 588 pounds on amazon so I’d be raging if I missed it at 520 euros . I think the Tesco deal OP posted is the pro so seems like a good deal if you have good coverage in your area .

Was there the other day, might be gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Paddy_man

sapphade wrote: »
    Is that price the p20 or p20 pro . I’m seeing the p20 pro at 588 pounds on amazon so I’d be raging if I missed it at 520 euros . I think the Tesco deal OP posted is the pro so seems like a good deal if you have good coverage in your area .

€547 delivered from Germany..
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07BHDMHR1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1NB3H7LLUJG3P&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Paddy_man wrote: »

even at that price, and a tarrif of 20 a month it works out at 1027 euro over the 24 months. compare that to the tesco deal, it works out 960 over the 24 months.

2 things go against you here,

A. you need to have 547 euro spare to buy the phone outright.

B. if you go with tesco, you dont have the freedom to change provider. You have a 14 day cooling off period so if you find it bad service withing those 2 weeks, you can change.

Personally I see the tesco deal a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

I'm suing for false advertisement of this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SUNGSAM

I went for the EUR 30.00 a month and EUR 200 phone deal back when they offered it around black Friday. I switched from three. I did have some issues with people not being able to call me and not receiving security validation messages from VHI, Office 365 etc however these were fixed by tesco support after a bit of chasing. I mainly use my phone in Dublin and the 4G coverage has been consistent throughout. I've roamed in Europe also and the service worked very well also.

Tesco might ask for a EUR 150 payment up front if you've not had dealingswith them before also so keep this in mind. This will be used to cover your bills after three months of direct debit payments. Having ironed out all of the issues I'd recommend this deal, the phone is top class too. Best camera phone I've ever used and battery life and inbuilt storage are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

I can only agree with other posters regarding Tesco - absolute nightmare to deal with.

Tesco mobile told us they don't support text messages for verification - so no online purchasing / account lockout messages verification.

When we tried to cancel, their customer services team were awful to deal with - I'd have a lot of patience for people working in customer services and I still found it infuriating - it took three months to get a full refund, they refunded the wrong amount twice. their customer service team had no idea what charges were for and used terms like "I haven't the foggiest idea to be honest" when chages were queried.

In the end, we had to let go of 15 euro that was charged on the account simply because it wasn't worth the hassle.

I wouldn't even give tesco mobile a 1/10 - save yourself the stress and hassle and just avoid.

Advertisement